Devialet Chat
Headphones - filter settings for vinyl? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: The Vinyl Thread (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-The-Vinyl-Thread)
+--- Thread: Headphones - filter settings for vinyl? (/Thread-Headphones-filter-settings-for-vinyl)

Headphones - filter settings for vinyl? - DelaneyB - 01-Oct-2016

Hi
Had forgotten how much headphones exacerbate the surface noise....

Since the Devialet allows filter settings on the line out, any suggestions as to where to start?

I'm using a Graham Slee Solo ultra Linear with Grado SR325s..

Tx

RE: Headphones - filter settings for vinyl? - Peter van der Laarse - 22-Oct-2016

(01-Oct-2016, 18:27)DelaneyB Wrote: Hi

Since the Devialet allows filter settings on the line out, any suggestions as to where to start?

Tx

Surface noise? Your turntable is not in order. Possible:
1. Which cleaning machine are you using? Clearaudio? Okki Nokki? You MUST remove the press residu from the LP you naturally know.
2. How is the set earthed? Look at all the Power cable products from Kemp Elektronics and you learn a lot. Is the ground earth < 0,1 ohms? Pins on the corners of
the house more then 10 meters into the ground? Earth only sound? radio? TV?
3. Is the height of the arm set right? Try different settings
4. The element is connected with the Devialet in a balanced way? Try
5. Headphones don't exacerbate: bigger moving coil speakers can't follow the details in the sound..... Stax vs ESL no difference at all
6. Element tested and needle in order?

RE: Headphones - filter settings for vinyl? - f1eng - 22-Oct-2016

I no longer listen to LPs using headphones for this reason.
I had used good quality headphones since 1970 (starting with Koss electrostatics) but don't play LPs at all any more if I am listening to headphones.
Whilst most of the colourations added in the LP record/replay process are euphonic and sound lovely the poor signal to noise ratio is blindingly obvious on headphones and since the noise is broadband you can't really filter it out.
The other non-euphonic shortcoming of LP systems is speed stability, which can be addressed.

RE: Headphones - filter settings for vinyl? - DelaneyB - 24-Oct-2016

(22-Oct-2016, 18:44)Peter van der Laarse Wrote:
(01-Oct-2016, 18:27)DelaneyB Wrote: Hi

Tx

Surface noise? Your turntable is not in order. Possible:
1. Which cleaning machine are you using? Clearaudio? Okki Nokki? You MUST remove the press residu from the LP you naturally know.
2. How is the set earthed? Look at all the Power cable products from Kemp Elektronics and you learn a lot. Is the ground earth < 0,1 ohms? Pins on the corners of
the house more then 10 meters into the ground? Earth only sound? radio? TV?
3. Is the height of the arm set right? Try different settings
4. The element is connected with the Devialet in a balanced way? Try
5. Headphones don't exacerbate: bigger moving coil speakers can't follow the details in the sound..... Stax vs ESL no difference at all
6. Element tested and needle in order?

New Rega P3/Exact - I am playing some 40+ yr old vinyl... cleaned with vinyl rejuvenator gel. So I'll expect to hear more pops and crackles with headphones I suppose. Sounds superb otherwise.