Devialet Chat
400 vs 440 review - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet Reviews (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Reviews)
+--- Thread: 400 vs 440 review (/Thread-400-vs-440-review)

Pages: 1 2

400 vs 440 review - iamwappie - 23-Oct-2016

https://www.lexicommultimedia.nl/review/nieuwe-devialet-expert-pro-440-vergeleken-devialet-expert-400/

In Dutch. You can use Google Chrome to translate to english.

RE: 400 vs 440 review - octaviars - 23-Oct-2016

Interesting review for me that have the Sopra 2. The new 440 seems to be a good match with them. I get more and more convinced to do the upgrade.

RE: 400 vs 440 review - iamwappie - 23-Oct-2016

Yes the reviewer is very very positive and hesitates almost to say the 440 sweeps the floor with the 400.

RE: 400 vs 440 review - BrianT - 23-Oct-2016

What a very positive review, lets se what our members that have done the upgrade have to say.
I have place my order for the 400>440PRO upgrade a few days ago.

Brian

RE: 400 vs 440 review - Pim - 23-Oct-2016

Indeed a very positive 'review' but to put it into context I also read the 'review' of the 400 on the same site. Also very positive and not one hint of the negatives he mentions about the 400 in the 440Pro 'review'. To be fair, he does mention the 400 could do with better cabling and power supply.

What I'm getting out of this is that the improvements Devialet have made with the power supply are possibly the largest improvement from 400 to 440Pro and that's a good thing.

I wrote 'review' rather than review because this is a dealer and if I were a dealer with a stack of pizza boxes in my back room I would be a tad biased as well. Wink

Edit: This in no way says I don't believe the 440Pro isn't much better than the 400 but I put a lot more faith in the review of the boys on this site who've written about them.

RE: 400 vs 440 review - Confused - 24-Oct-2016

I'm not quite sure what to make of this review! OK, I have not yet had the pleasure of hearing the 440 Pro, and here I would go with Pim's sentiment, I too would place more faith in the comments of folk posting on this site. That said, I have listened to the D400 on a number of occasions now, and I have listened to an A/B audition of the D800 vs 1000 Pro, so I think it is possible to extrapolate to a certain extent. This may not make sense, but I do not really agree with some of the criticisms the reviewer is now making of the outgoing D400, but based on my D800 vs 1000 Pro audition, I do fully recognise what he is saying with respect to the Pro improvements. For me the D400 was (and is) a very fine product, and yet the Pro goes to a class above. I am also interested in how Pim' puts this down to power supply improvements, because I had mentally put the main improvements down to the new ADH. The truth is it is probably down to a combination of things, cooling the new class D and so on, not that this matters too much is the end result is good!

RE: 400 vs 440 review - kerkhoffd - 24-Oct-2016

I am a bit hesitant too on the absolute tone of some reviews. What I have experienced so far and agree about is that the old expert range and the new expert pro range do differ in the way they sound. Either one can be to your taste or not and is also largely influenced by the speakers you use and the acoustics in your home. How power hungry the speakers are, how revealing they are and how they are tuned. Both Devialet series have things going for them and also against them I think, and not all dealers/reviewers will be absolute frank about that. New is almost always better in many reviews.

RE: 400 vs 440 review - octaviars - 24-Oct-2016

(24-Oct-2016, 14:47)kerkhoffd Wrote: I am a bit hesitant too on the absolute tone of some reviews. What I have experienced so far and agree about is that the old expert range and the new expert pro range do differ in the way they sound. Either one can be to your taste or not and is also largely influenced by the speakers you use and the acoustics in your home. How power hungry the speakers are, how revealing they are and how they are tuned. Both Devialet series have things going for them and also against them I think, and not all dealers/reviewers will be absolute frank about that. New is almost always better in many reviews.

I did not read the review so good that I got it that it was a dealer. Dealers that write about equipment they sell is hard to take really serious. Why write something bad about a product they sell and ofcourse it is better than the old one, saying something else would mean bad buisness. 

By this I dont mean the 440 is not better than a 400 I for one would really want it to be better so a upgrade gives us a better amplifier.

RE: 400 vs 440 review - kerkhoffd - 24-Oct-2016

Please don't misunderstand me. English is not my main language, so I might have been to conclusive or imprecise myself. The dealer remark was just made in general.

All reviews are made by someone with his or hers own taste, in a specific setup and acoustics. Therefore I think everyone should not take opinions from reviews as absolute truths. I have listened to both old and new. And I was absolutely impressed with the new Pro Expert. The Pro series definitely has a different sound than the old Expert range. Some might call it more analogue, some that like the old expert might miss the brilliant clear sound of the old series a bit. It all depends on what source, loudspeakers you use how you would qualify sound quality. So to state that the new is better than the old is a too bold opinion in any case as far as I am concerned. Maybe owners that have a very balanced setup with the sound they prefer and the D200/D400 range, and upgrading might upset that balance. So I would prefer a very fact based conclusion and let the opinion be made by everybody in their own setup, with their own speakers. I think conclusions might very well differ in each specific situation. Maybe a warmer sounding speaker may not be an as good match to the pro series and could very well sound very nice with the old series.

RE: 400 vs 440 review - Pim - 24-Oct-2016

(24-Oct-2016, 11:42)Confused Wrote: I'm not quite sure what to make of this review!  OK, I have not yet had the pleasure of hearing the 440 Pro, and here I would go with Pim's sentiment, I too would place more faith in the comments of folk posting on this site.  That said, I have listened to the D400 on a number of occasions now, and I have listened to an A/B audition of the D800 vs 1000 Pro, so I think it is possible to extrapolate to a certain extent.  This may not make sense, but I do not really agree with some of the criticisms the reviewer is now making of the outgoing D400, but based on my D800 vs 1000 Pro audition, I do fully recognise what he is saying with respect to the Pro improvements.  For me the D400 was (and is) a very fine product, and yet the Pro goes to a class above.  I am also interested in how Pim' puts this down to power supply improvements, because I had mentally put the main improvements down to the new ADH.  The truth is it is probably down to a combination of things, cooling the new class D and so on, not that this matters too much is the end result is good!

To be honest Confused, there's a bit (heaps actually) of guess work involved here. Although I can't remember actually reading it myself (apart from on this forum) but I believe Devialet have stated in the past that power cables don't make any difference to the SQ of a Devialet. To me that would mean that they have the perfect power supply that can filter out any nasties you throw at it. Then they make a new product and improve the power supply. Huh Not just more powerful but also better at noise reduction. So they weren't really honest about the power supply before. 

Then there are the nights that I really enjoy the sound coming from my D (200 in the past or now 900) and there are nights that I REALLY enjoy the sound. The difference can of course easily be me or my seating position but I've always had a feeling that cleaner power would have a positive impact on the SQ. 

Then there's Mka's Od'A-1000Pro shoot out declaring the Pro the clear winner. The differences between them are improved ADH as you said (or isn't it? Devialet haven't been 100% clear on this) and the improved power supply.

So there's my reasoning behind it. Now lets shoot some holes in that theory.  Smile

Cheers,

Pim