Devialet Chat
Devialet teaser 11-11-2016 / 'The lost recordings' - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Devialet teaser 11-11-2016 / 'The lost recordings' (/Thread-Devialet-teaser-11-11-2016-The-lost-recordings)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Devialet teaser 11-11-2016 - Confused - 18-Nov-2016

(18-Nov-2016, 16:32)AaronG Wrote: I don't see any problem with this. At the moment I am listening to Fondamenta's remastered Navarra set using the technology that apparently will be used in the jazz sets. Like Navarra, Bill Evans, Sarah Vaughan, and Oscar Peterson were all extraordinary artists. I unfortunately never had a chance to see any of them. Through the miracle of sound recording I can experience their art. I don't own a car because for me access to this kind of art is far more important.

I certainly can understand why someone might feel that 1200 is not too much money to pay to get as close to hearing Sarah Vaughan live in her prime as possible. If someone gave me access to a time machine to do this I certainly might consider this. And a live recording is a kind of wonderful time machine. I think it's worth far more than a Gucci handbag. If it was a live recording that I never knew existed of Dolphy and Coltrane in their prime, I might buy a turntable and a lacquer. I certainly think it's worth a lot more to me than another power cord or whatever.

Devialet may have plans to make these available in digital formats. I have no idea.

And BTW my Air still doesn't work on my Devialet and I find this super irritating. But I seriously doubt that this little adventure is eating into solving that problem. And again I admire a company that cares so much about the art we experience through their machines. That's a reason I think so highly of Grimm as well.

I would also have zero problem with all of this IF they were releasing the music in a sensible digital format at a reasonably sensible cost.  The issue I have with limited edition 180g's or the play once format is that serves only to restrict the number of people that can enjoy the music, whilst inflating the cost.  As a side note, I have just heard that the play once special will be £4500.  Ouch!  Plus from a technical perspective, something properly mastered in 24bit is superior to anything you could play on a turntable, irrespective of how it was produced.  By ignoring modern digital technology, they are charging £4500 to make something sound worse.

Also I can think of other ways of spending £4.5K for an hours fun!  Shy   (although to be honest, I'd rather listen to something on the radio for an hour and find a more productive use for the cash)

RE: Devialet teaser 11-11-2016 - AaronG - 18-Nov-2016

That's just how lacquers are from what I understand. They are a byproduct of pressing the lps, so the come into existence if the lp does. The cases are special made and that's a bit nutty, but hey you need to have a little bit of a Gucci handbag when you are spending this kind of scratch.

(18-Nov-2016, 17:17)pete86 Wrote: Sure, but why would it have be a one time play medium? That's just an expensive and wasteful gimmick.

RE: Devialet teaser 11-11-2016 - AaronG - 18-Nov-2016

[/quote]

I would also have zero problem with all of this IF they were releasing the music in a sensible digital format.  The issue I have with limited edition 180g's or the play once format is that serves only to restrict the number of people that can enjoy the music, whilst inflating the cost.  As a side note, I have just heard that the play once special will be £4500.  Ouch!  
[/quote]

My guess is that it will be released as a digital file by Fondamenta or another label later. This is how Mosaic does it's boxed sets, they release the analogue and Sony and others release the digital. If it is Fondamenta the going price for their 176/24 files is under 13 euros. But this all speculation and your point is fair. I have confidence there is more in store here.

[/quote]
One point to note, I can think of other ways of spending £4.5K for an hours fun!  (although to be honest, I'd rather listen to something on the radio for half an hour and find a more productive use for the cash) 
[/quote]

If it was Bill Evans and Scottie La Faro and Paul Motian at the Village Vanguard in a brilliant performance I'd never heard before, I'm not sure I could! That experience would be priceless.

RE: Devialet teaser 11-11-2016 - Teliaved - 19-Nov-2016

The explanations about these 3 limited edition releases of recordings on highest quality vinyls are interesting.
Even more interesting to me is the lacquer coated object that is used to create the pressing die. The idea of offering for sale it when it can be listened to only once is crazy... and I love it.

http://www.devialet.com/thelostrecordings/index-en.html

RE: Devialet teaser 11-11-2016 - Phoenix - 19-Nov-2016

(19-Nov-2016, 09:14)Teliaved Wrote: The explanations about these 3 limited edition releases of recordings on highest quality vinyls are interesting.
Even more interesting to me is the lacquer coated object that is used to create the pressing die. The idea of offering for sale it when it can be listened to only once is crazy... and I love it.

http://www.devialet.com/thelostrecordings/index-en.html

I heard from Devialet that they will provide a code which allows to download the unreleased album in 16bit 44.1 kHz. Since these albums are completely unreleased, I agree, it would be a shame not to release them on CD and digital. But I'm very optimistic about that since Fondamenta is a music label company.

Concerning the lacquers, first of all, as far as I know, it's the first time in the history of music anything like this is released. 30 units is a very small amount of units. Some journalist wrote about the presentation in Paris : 

Grand cru analogique

And it seemed he was speechless. Anyway, it's audacious, it's clever and I have to say I'm very curious about it...

The République du Son provides a link and a code to listen to 3 extracts from the Vaughan, completely free. The sound seems to be amazing, even on a computer!

RE: Devialet teaser 11-11-2016 - alandbush - 19-Nov-2016

Ahem! The idea of selling a limited number of consume once items is hardly news.
Just check out the prices of some other French products

http://uk.businessinsider.com/most-expensive-champagnes-in-the-world-2015-12/#10-salon-blanc-de-blancs-le-mesnil-sur-oger-15-liter-magnum-2002-899-1

http://www.wineinvestment.com/wine-blog/2016/01/the-10-most-expensive-wines/

And more often than not the customer never sees the item as it will have to be stored carefully to maintain its value.

Having said all that, the production of an analogue vinyl record does appear to be an unusual direction to take for a digital amplifier manufacturer.

RE: Devialet teaser 11-11-2016 - alandbush - 19-Nov-2016

(19-Nov-2016, 13:43)Phoenix Wrote: The République du Son provides a link and a code to listen to 3 extracts from the Vaughan, completely free. The sound seems to be amazing, even on a computer!

Thanks for this link as it does provide a taster, brief as the three tracks are.
I agree with regard to the quality as heard through Phantoms via Bluetooth.

RE: Devialet teaser 11-11-2016 - Teliaved - 19-Nov-2016

(19-Nov-2016, 13:47)alandbush Wrote: Having said all that, the production of an analogue vinyl record does appear to be an unusual direction to take for a digital amplifier manufacturer.
Thanks for the links, interesting exclusive products.
I am not sure this production of analogue vinyl records is so far fetched of their core business.
ADH stands for Analog Digital Hybrid. This company is not a " simply digital " amplifier company, and this core technology is enabling the sound I can enjoy on my D200. They are probably exploring new domains. This is not surprising for a company with 107 patents in 7 years. They are also anchoring the brand in high luxury grounds.

(19-Nov-2016, 15:57)Teliaved Wrote:
(19-Nov-2016, 13:47)alandbush Wrote: Having said all that, the production of an analogue vinyl record does appear to be an unusual direction to take for a digital amplifier manufacturer.
Thanks for the links, interesting exclusive products.
I am not sure this production of analogue vinyl records is so far fetched of their core business.
ADH stands for Analog Digital Hybrid. This company is not a " simply digital " amplifier company, and this core technology is enabling the sound I can enjoy on my D200. They are probably exploring new domains. This is not surprising for a company with 107 patents in 7 years. They are also anchoring the brand in high luxury grounds.

Further than amplification, I think the core of their business is Music. The same wrote about Apple when they opened iTunes store, when they built the 1st iPhone, don't you think? Smile