Devialet Chat
Do you use SAM? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: What The Polls Say (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-What-The-Polls-Say)
+--- Thread: Do you use SAM? (/Thread-Do-you-use-SAM)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Do you use SAM? - Confused - 23-Dec-2016

I have noticed a little bit of renewed interest in SAM recently, and have also noticed that this has never been subjected to a poll.

So do you use SAM, and if so how exactly do you prefer to use it?

As ever, you can caveat your vote by posting whatever comments you feel are appropriate.

RE: Do you use SAM? - Womaz - 23-Dec-2016

As my speakers are only about 2 foot from the back wall I had to experiment a lot to get SAMright.
Mine is now set at 25% and it stays there.

RE: Do you use SAM? - NickB - 23-Dec-2016

Having looked at the difference in the response curves on the SAM webpage with my speakers (not a lot) I tried it and came to the conclusion I preferred them vanilla.

RE: Do you use SAM? - Confused - 23-Dec-2016

(23-Dec-2016, 10:49)NickB Wrote: Having looked at the difference in the response curves on the SAM webpage with my speakers (not a lot) I tried it and came to the conclusion I preferred them vanilla.

Out of curiosity I have just taken a look at the SAM curves for the S5's, and I can see your point, one of the best 'without SAM' curves I've seen, very impressive!

So have you tried SAM on the 120 / Ergo rig?  (or is the Ergo E-IX different to the Ergo IX?)

RE: Do you use SAM? - Soniclife - 23-Dec-2016

I've use it all the time at 13%. Makes a really nice difference for me, all positive, no negatives. Took me a long time to dial it in, the temptation is to overdo it in my experience.

RE: Do you use SAM? - ogs - 23-Dec-2016

I am using SAM at 100% but with room correction. I.e. I measure with SAM at 100% to include the bass boost it provides. Works very well even if my speakers are not SAM profiled. I do not recommend using the "wrong" SAM profile in general, but in my setup with RC it performs beautiful.

RE: Do you use SAM? - NickB - 23-Dec-2016

(23-Dec-2016, 11:13)Confused Wrote:
(23-Dec-2016, 10:49)NickB Wrote: Having looked at the difference in the response curves on the SAM webpage with my speakers (not a lot) I tried it and came to the conclusion I preferred them vanilla.

Out of curiosity I have just taken a look at the SAM curves for the S5's, and I can see your point, one of the best 'without SAM' curves I've seen, very impressive!

So have you tried SAM on the 120 / Ergo rig?  (or is the Ergo E-IX different to the Ergo IX?)

They are indeed the Ergo IX with the SAM profile, one of the reasons I had them made. Due to it being an apartment we are in I don't really want to increase the bass too much so not tried it in anger yet but will over Xmas and let you know. However the sound of them driven by the D120 is slightly magical so perhaps there is something special about the 120 in a small bookshelf speaker low volume environment!!!!

RE: Do you use SAM? - Vivialet - 23-Dec-2016

sadly SAM for my Giya G2 is unusable since firmware 8.x. SAM V2 produces a massive bass boost under 100hz, even if SAM is set to 0%.
I have a case open with Devialet, but so far no outcome.

RE: Do you use SAM? - Sharone - 23-Dec-2016

I was using SAM at 0% with my D400 with v10 firmware. The dynamics was better, along with better grip at the low end.
I find increasing the SAM % somehow obscure some details and the balance at the top end.

My 220 Pro just came back to me. As the Pro provides more details, I find it better without SAM, further more the bottom end already improves with the Pro compare to the previous D200.

Anyway, this is still early days. Will experiment with/ without SAM once the 220 Pro is more 'run in'.

RE: Do you use SAM? - iamwappie - 23-Dec-2016

Interesting poll and even so the number of people with SAMed speakers and preferring SAM off. Same for me. With SAM on there is a loss of air around vocals.