Devialet Chat
Do you use SAM? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: What The Polls Say (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-What-The-Polls-Say)
+--- Thread: Do you use SAM? (/Thread-Do-you-use-SAM)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Do you use SAM? - Dr Tone - 15-Jan-2017

Just wanted to say that SAM on the 220 pro is just like the D200 with my Sabrinas.

It removes some air around things and just adds a slight bit of warmth. It also flattens the presentation of everything, sucks the life out of things for lack of better words. Oddly I felt it focused the center image a bit on D200 but I'm not feeling that on the D220 pro. So it's really worst now.

RE: Do you use SAM? - markush - 15-Jan-2017

(15-Jan-2017, 20:39)Dr Tone Wrote: Just wanted to say that SAM on the 220 pro is just like the D200 with my Sabrinas.

It removes some air around things and just adds a slight bit of warmth.  It also flattens the presentation of everything, sucks the life out of things for lack of better words.  Oddly I felt it focussed the center image a bit on D200 but I'm not feeling that on the D220 pro.  So it's really worst now.

How do you generel compare the performance of the 200 vs 220 Pro ?

RE: Do you use SAM? - Dr Tone - 15-Jan-2017

(15-Jan-2017, 21:40)markush Wrote:
(15-Jan-2017, 20:39)Dr Tone Wrote: Just wanted to say that SAM on the 220 pro is just like the D200 with my Sabrinas.

It removes some air around things and just adds a slight bit of warmth.  It also flattens the presentation of everything, sucks the life out of things for lack of better words.  Oddly I felt it focussed the center image a bit on D200 but I'm not feeling that on the D220 pro.  So it's really worst now.

How do you generel compare the performance of the 200 vs 220 Pro ?

It's all in here:

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3585

RE: Do you use SAM? - JohnnySix - 16-Jan-2017

I hope we are separating SAM effects from the simple psycho-acoustic effect of frequency imbalance here. In my experiments with JRiver Room EQ I have found that even fractions of a dB in bass contouring can affect the perception of airiness.
For instance, with my PMC 25.23's, SAM starts them 'climbing' a 32Hz room node which can introduce leaden-ness.
So I'm thinking that only those who've used 0% SAM at length can possibly comment on it's absolute effect.
As already said by another, for me its benefits (weight+solidity) outweigh the drawbacks (letting air out - hsssss*), maybe because my system is not at the elevated level to expose subtle HF detail loss.

[*don't get me wrong, I like air. I find it very useful when breathing.]

RE: Do you use SAM? - iamwappie - 16-Jan-2017

Even with SAM at 0% there is a noticeable effect in the bass region and also in the airiness. Although I think my new speakers are less impacted by the effect, the effect is still there. For Jazz and classical music I prefer SAM off. For pop music it isn't that audible and I prefer it on because of the bass extension.

RE: Do you use SAM? - Dr Tone - 16-Jan-2017

(16-Jan-2017, 14:13)JohnnySix Wrote: I hope we are separating SAM effects from the simple psycho-acoustic effect of frequency imbalance here. In my experiments with JRiver Room EQ I have found that even fractions of a dB in bass contouring can affect the perception of airiness.
For instance, with my PMC 25.23's, SAM starts them 'climbing' a 32Hz room node which can introduce leaden-ness.
So I'm thinking that only those who've used 0% SAM at length can possibly comment on it's absolute effect.
As already said by another, for me its benefits (weight+solidity) outweigh the drawbacks (letting air out - hsssss*), maybe because my system is not at the elevated level to expose subtle HF detail loss.

[*don't get me wrong, I like air. I find it very useful when breathing.]

Always at 0% when doing my comparisons.

Do you use SAM? - kmjy - 07-Jul-2017

I use it with my Phantoms. Makes a huge difference. Pretty easy to configure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Do you use SAM? - maxijazz - 07-Jul-2017

I would like to use SAM, but my speakers are not SAM-ed up.

RE: Do you use SAM? - Filip_B1d - 08-Jul-2017

I don't use it anymore because I already have enough low frequency on everyday listening position.
But sometimes when I put speakers far from the back wall, SAM is welcome on some leaner recordings.

Do you use SAM? - BjornWiman - 24-Sep-2017

I use SAM on 100% all the time. My room have some acoustical treatment so it works well.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk