Devialet Chat
Core Infinity board - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Core Infinity board (/Thread-Core-Infinity-board)

RE: Streamer board......? - mdconnelly - 14-Mar-2017

Let's be honest here - while the concept of plugging a USB drive into the Expert to play music may sound intriguing, it would require slick software deployed across multiple platforms to control it. Does that sound like something Devialet would be good at or even interested in doing?

Hey, I don't mind if the new board (whatever it is supposed to do) was pushed back for whatever reason. But the fact they used it as part of the marketing ploy for the Pro upgrade or purchase implies that customers should rightfully expect some information.

Not holding my breath, but one of these days - likely not for quite some time - they will surprise us.

RE: Streamer board......? - bernardl - 14-Mar-2017

We'll see, but calling their next platform an OS probably says some kind of Linux port, with all the native file system mgt capabilities. The streamer board is probably going to be a Rasberry Pi implementation, in other words Devialet is adding a micro computer inside the Devialet.

As far as the apps goes, Audirvana is done by a single guy (both OSX app and iPad one), so I can't believe for a second that a well funded company such as Devialet can't do it.

Cheers,
Bernard

RE: Streamer board......? - agentsmith - 15-Mar-2017

The main reason I upgraded from D400 to 440 is the promised streamer board and "DevialetOS". My expectations are that it will:

- Sound superior to the variety of computer based streamers we use today linked via USB or
- Be rid of the bugs and incompatibilities suffer by AIR
- Be relatively portable and support various third party player software, i.e. Roon, HQPLayer, Audirvana, etc
- Be extremely upgradable like the Squeeze platform
- Eliminate all needs of ever needing external hardware to play file based music based on the above
- Be available a couple of months after the Expert launch for 1.0, and keep updating with more new features

Not sure how much of the above are coming true, it'd be nice if HQ would at least drop us some hints. From the lack of details, it almost seems like that they were in pre-concept stage when they announced the product?

RE: Streamer board......? - deviousalet - 15-Mar-2017

Pre-concept phase? No, no. They're working hard on the marketing, which as we all know comes before product conceptualization. The latest idea is a picnic in space for their top three dealers, where they will serve a menu of meat from species endangered on earth while playing a newfound Pink Floyd recording "The Light Side of the Moon" of which there's only one copy which can only be played half way through. There are more details, such as what the streamer board will do, but those are currently embargoed and will be released soon.

RE: Streamer board......? - Antoine - 15-Mar-2017

Looks like they diverted resources to developing this Phantom surround thingie: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=4111

RE: Streamer board......? - octaviars - 15-Mar-2017

The surround thing when did they first talk about that and that it would work with Dialog? That has to be some years ago and they show it now......

I believe they focus more and more on Phantom if they plan to sell 50,000 this year why bother with the Expert range we paid for the upgrade and then what happens......ehhh not much I suppose.

RE: Streamer board......? - Hifi_swlon - 15-Mar-2017

(15-Mar-2017, 02:25)agentsmith Wrote: The main reason I upgraded from D400 to 440 is the promised streamer board and "DevialetOS".  My expectations are that it will:

- Sound superior to the variety of computer based streamers we use today linked via USB or
- Be rid of the bugs and incompatibilities suffer by AIR
- Be relatively portable and support various third party player software, i.e. Roon, HQPLayer, Audirvana, etc
- Be extremely upgradable like the Squeeze platform
- Eliminate all needs of ever needing external hardware to play file based music based on the above
- Be available a couple of months after the Expert launch for 1.0, and keep updating with more new features

Not sure how much of the above are coming true, it'd be nice if HQ would at least drop us some hints.  From the lack of details, it almost seems like that they were in pre-concept stage when they announced the product?

As much as I hate to say it, you might want to spend the next 7-20 months prepping for quite a bit of disappointment.... Undecided

RE: Streamer board......? - GuillaumeB - 15-Mar-2017

I think that given their limited resources (and they are limited when you consider what they want to accomplish, also just look at how Expert development was put on hold whilst the Phantom was launched) it would make sense for them to develop one streaming platform for both Expert and Phantom.

So Devialet OS will power both Expert and Phantom.

This means integration of Expert and Phantom units in a MCH or home cinema context, streaming from Spotify , Tidal etc without the need for a computer and the ability to pull music files from any server connected to the network (i.e. UPnP/DLNA).

Roon and MQA: forget it. Ain't gonna happen folks.

I imagine most of this would happen over ethernet or wifi so I don't see a fancy new USB interface being in the works.

What will be interesting to see is what the impact of a computer in an already very crowded chassis will be on sound quality, assuming that this will need to share the same power supply as everything else.

From my perspective if this means streaming from Qobuz using my iPhone to select tracks and play I'll be happy. I'll continue using my very capable d1 server as my Roon Ready endpoint connected to the Devialet via AES which is the best input after all.

Guillaume

RE: Streamer board......? - octaviars - 15-Mar-2017

Do you know Guillaume how it works if you sell your Pro amps will the new owner be able to get the streamerboard?

I have plans to move away from Devialet and buy something else perhaps some Danish dynamite......you know what I mean Guillaume Wink

RE: Streamer board......? - Hifi_swlon - 15-Mar-2017

Sorry I made a mistake earlier when I said something slightly derogatory about Devialet and their software capabilities. I just came across a Darko article from last year that I'd not seen, and he set me straight:

Quote:Devialet is a software company as much as it a hardware manufacturer – a combination that points to a robust possible future for high-end audio – and one that’s clearly already with us. For proof, look no further than the Expert’s remote control.

So maybe we can all relax about the streamerboard functionality and software control.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/07/high-end-future-fi-devialets-expert-pro-1000/