Devialet Chat
Core Infinity board - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Core Infinity board (/Thread-Core-Infinity-board)

RE: Streamer board......? - Hifi_swlon - 04-Jul-2017

(04-Jul-2017, 17:38)yabaVR Wrote: At ALL PRO-Owners.

If you send your Dxxx in to Devialet for the streamerboard to install do first, before you send it, plug out the Wifi-Board and the Duett-Board (or let it be done by your dealer).
Because chances are not minor that the new board has lots of functionality but ALSO (most likely) decreases SQ by its powerfull processor and new (more powerfull) Wifi components.
So if you keep the two modules as spare parts you can get back to the better (old) SQ any time in the future if SQ comes first for you.

gui

Why would the assumption be that SQ will be worse in a 'device' designed and manufactured quite a few years after the current ones that are fitted?

I get that processors and wifi can cause noise, but isn't it fair to assume that these potential issues would have been designed around? It's not like people are saying other highend streamers released the past year sound much worse than older models with fewer features.

Ok, so I'm not often much of a Devialet defender, but in this case I wonder why theyre not even being given the benefit of doubt.

But an interesting point is raised - are the older cards allowed to be kept as part of the upgrade. If not fircSQ reasons, might just be nice as a backup or just as a piece of history....

RE: Streamer board......? - yabaVR - 04-Jul-2017

I was pointing to it, because me and others here in the forum got a SQ improvement by pulling out the Wifi-Module.
And it is most likely that sound will not improve if more 'electrical work' is added inside a hifi component.
How to know that?
You get this experience if you tune a PC with audiophile tuning software which does nothing more than cutting down 'electrical work' of processors and components inside this PC.
Another example is if you switch off features like DPM, Standby Function, Filters or any other function of your Devialet the SQ improves. So the  conclusion that adding some powerful processors (streamer board) decreases SQ is not far fetched.

gui

RE: Streamer board......? - ogs - 04-Jul-2017

I got this from Thierry Massoubre this morning:

- - - - - - - - - - -
The Core ∞ module needs to be installed in your Devialet Expert Pro in France for several reasons:
- The module replaces 2 modules inside the Expert and the installation, though not difficult, is a precise operation since there are many connectors underneath the board.
- We will take this opportunity to do a few modifications on the motherboard to improve the performance of your unit
- We will give the possibility to add an external WiFi antenna
- We will reprogram your remote control to improve the stability of operation.
- - - - - - - - - - - -

so both the modules yabaVR recommends us to remove will be replaced by the new core module. In a follow up mail I asked whether the I/O lay out will be changed (AES/EBU, SPDIF, USB, ethernet...) the answer was:

- - - - - - - - - - -
The connectivity will not change as far a I know. We will anyway come with a whole set of information in due time.
- - - - - - - - - - -

RE: Streamer board......? - GuillaumeB - 04-Jul-2017

(04-Jul-2017, 19:52)ogs Wrote: I got this from Thierry Massoubre this morning:

- - - - - - - - - - -
The Core ∞ module needs to be installed in your Devialet Expert Pro in France for several reasons:
- The module replaces 2 modules inside the Expert and the installation, though not difficult, is a precise operation since there are many connectors underneath the board.
- We will take this opportunity to do a few modifications on the motherboard to improve the performance of your unit
- We will give the possibility to add an external WiFi antenna
- We will reprogram your remote control to improve the stability of operation.
- - - - - - - - - - - -

so both the modules yabaVR recommends us to remove will be replaced by the new core module. In a follow up mail I asked whether the I/O lay out will be changed (AES/EBU, SPDIF, USB, ethernet...) the answer was:

- - - - - - - - - - -
The connectivity will not change as far a I know. We will anyway come with a whole set of information in due time.
- - - - - - - - - - -

Great to see Thierry Massoubre speaking to customers again.  Smile

One of the good guys at Devialet.

Guillaume

RE: Streamer board......? - Rama - 04-Jul-2017

Really excited and looking forward to Oct. My only issue is with having to ship my D440 Pro again back to France, which would mean twice this year. The unit is just about to break-in. Another issues is that I am not a fan of UPS and I wish Devialet would provide an alternative courier like DHL.

RE: Streamer board......? - maxijazz - 04-Jul-2017

(04-Jul-2017, 18:37)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Why would the assumption be that SQ will be worse in a 'device' designed and manufactured quite a few years after the current ones that are fitted?

I get that processors and wifi can cause noise, but isn't it fair to assume that these potential issues would have been designed around?  It's not like people are saying other highend streamers released the past year sound much worse than older models with fewer features.

Ok, so I'm not often much of a Devialet defender, but in this case I wonder why theyre not even being given the benefit of doubt.

But an interesting point is raised - are the older cards allowed to be kept as part of the upgrade. If not fircSQ reasons, might just be nice as a backup or just as a piece of history....

I fully agree. 
While I expect bugs that will be fixes over following months (or years and it will take longer than we expect), but it does not make sense for Devialet to design the board not up to quality of main board (ADH, RAM. Etc). I think it wil be on par with Air card or better.

RE: Streamer board......? - mdconnelly - 04-Jul-2017

Interesting that the Pros will need to be returned to Devialet.  That has to be a huge expense on an install that they're giving away.  Just hope they don't decide to charge for shipping.   When I bought my 220 Pros, my dealer indicated that the boards would be dealer installable and possibly owner installable (at dealer discretion).  I'm guessing they must have turned out more complex than anticipated.  Time will tell.

RE: Streamer board......? - Hifi_swlon - 04-Jul-2017

(04-Jul-2017, 21:13)Rama Wrote: Really excited and looking forward to Oct. My only issue is with having to ship my D440 Pro again back to France, which would mean twice  this year. The unit is just about to break-in. Another issues is that I am not a fan of UPS and I wish Devialet would provide an alternative courier like DHL.

Yeah, there's break-in, and there's broken.  Big Grin. Mind you I wouldn't pin your hopes on Oct.

(04-Jul-2017, 21:42)mdconnelly Wrote: ...That has to be a huge expense on an install that they're giving away.  

Are they giving it away? I thought Pro purchasers/upgraders had already paid for it in advance as it wasn't ready and was being used partly as a 'carrot' to lure more sales.

But it sounds like they're making other hardware changes to the main board - which I read as 'they didn't quite get all the specs right for the interface between the two boards so have to do some hacks to accommodate it.'   To be honest I'm more worried about that than the SQ of the board itself since it's not like they're optional.

It's all getting more interesting than I'd hoped. To be honest it's quite a relief after so little happening I wondered if there would ever be anything 'real' about Devialet to discuss again.

I might ask for an extra polish, there's a few faint scratches on the cover plate for example, that I felt they just hadn't polished last time. (But I don't know as I never saw the case before I upgraded). And what could the remote need updating to make more reliable? Maybe they've switched it to wifi signal?

Anyone else had the emails btw? My "upgrade now" ones came through, but not these.

(04-Jul-2017, 19:06)yabaVR Wrote: I was pointing to it, because me and others here in the forum got a SQ improvement by pulling out the Wifi-Module.
And it is most likely that sound will not improve if more 'electrical work' is added inside a hifi component.
How to know that?
You get this experience if you tune a PC with audiophile tuning software which does nothing more than cutting down 'electrical work' of processors and components inside this PC.
Another example is if you switch off features like DPM, Standby Function, Filters or any other function of your Devialet the SQ improves. So the  conclusion that adding some powerful processors (streamer board) decreases SQ is not far fetched.

gui

Not disagreeing as such, but I'm just hopeful that in the years since the original modules were created, their engineers will have kept 'on trend' and learnt a thing or two about how best to deal with those things. Or hired in outside expertise to guide them. After all it would be a disaster if the Pros - which seem fairly unanimously praised as a decent upgrade from the Expert - were hindered by an 'updated' but badly designed/executed streamer board.

So I have at least some faith. But in all honestly it's more like hope, since I'd love to be sitting smugly with my amazing sounding streamercard, and leave the CA crowd with their daisy chained array of widgets and PSUs long behind. I just dream of the single box I bought into. The Pro has gone much of the way there. A 'dCs killer' level streamer would seal the deal.

RE: Streamer board......? - Rama - 04-Jul-2017

Currently my D440 Pro is dedicated to playing only Vinyl (sounds fantastic), with the Rega RP8/Exact2. Regarding SQ I personally dont think it would be a step-down. I am sure the team at Devialet has worked hard and continues to do so in order to give us the best possible sound quality. Although I have to say that the Wi-Fi card shown on the photographs if pretty generic and similar to something you might find in an Auralic Aries Mini.

RE: Streamer board......? - mdconnelly - 04-Jul-2017

(04-Jul-2017, 21:45)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(04-Jul-2017, 21:42)mdconnelly Wrote: ...That has to be a huge expense on an install that they're giving away.  

Are they giving it away? I thought Pro purchasers/upgraders had already paid for it in advance as it wasn't ready and was being used partly as a 'carrot' to lure more sales.

But it sounds like they're making other hardware changes to the main board - which I read as 'they didn't quite get all the specs right for the interface between the two boards so have to do some hacks to accommodate it.'   To be honest I'm more worried about that than the SQ of the board itself since it's not like they're optional.

It's all getting more interesting than I'd hoped. To be honest it's quite a relief after so little happening I wondered if there would ever be anything 'real' about Devialet to discuss again.

I might ask for an extra polish, there's a few faint scratches on the cover plate for example, that I felt they just hadn't polished last time. (But I don't know as I never saw the case before I upgraded). And what could the remote need updating to make more reliable? Maybe they've switched it to wifi signal?

Anyone else had the emails btw? My "upgrade now" ones came through, but not these.
Steve - yeah, I know I "should" feel like I already paid for it, but truthfully, it was too poorly defined for me to even know what it was.  I made the choice for Pro based solely on SQ and am extremely happy with the decision.   From Devialet's perspective, there's no more money from us coming their way on this... sunk cost.

Haven't seen anything from Devialet, so I'm still wondering exactly what this announcement is all about other than possibly setting a date.  Another "leak"?  Who knows.  But truthfully, in what world does it make sense to set a date 3 months out without providing more information on what it is that will be made available.   Devialet is a puzzling company indeed.  

Oh well, I'm trying real hard not to get all caught up in the angst of waiting and wondering.   It will happen when it happens and hopefully we'll all be quite pleased.  Right now, I couldn't be more pleased with the sound of my system.