Devialet Chat
Core Infinity board - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Core Infinity board (/Thread-Core-Infinity-board)

RE: Streamer board......? - Pim - 16-Jul-2017

Sound quality perhaps?

RE: Streamer board......? - thumb5 - 16-Jul-2017

Possibly (still hoping for) self-hosted configuration?

RE: Streamer board......? - Confused - 16-Jul-2017

Picking up on AlenB's question, I have to say that after trying 'Roon AIR' yesterday I found myself very impressed, set up took only a couple of minutes, the integration is excellent and the sound quality excellent also.  So I get the point.  

For me the big question has to be stability.  I have been running a microRendu in a variety of modes, RAAT, DLNA, Shairport, NAA with pretty much 100% stability.  We know that AIR has been plagued with stability issues, believed to be timing issues between the computer OS and the asynchronous input of the Devialet.  So OK, Roon AIR sounded great for one hour yesterday, maybe it is more stable now, but I cannot help but think that AIR is always one OS update from calamity.

Pim also picks up on the key point for me.  I am also ever the optimist, or at least I can allow myself to hope, that maybe the new OS Board might just be utterly superb for sound quality?

As a final point, it was not long ago that we were talking about the OS Board being dealer fit.  There is now this mystery 'modification', to quote "We will take this opportunity to do a few modifications on the motherboard to improve the performance of your unit".  I think the key to this question is more information re the quote above, part of me suspects that this 'modification' is not as big a deal as it sounds, but of course we just don't know at the moment.

RE: Streamer board......? - Hifi_swlon - 16-Jul-2017

>Possibly (still hoping for) self-hosted configuration?

That would be great.

Improved SQ would be great. Fully RoonReady would be great.
Faster startup time? That would be great.

But if you don't need/want anything more than you have maybe Devialet will keep it as a permanent optic n whenever you want to send in the future?

But then there's all the new features. Like Room Correction etc. (Well, if Devialet are going all customer focussed again, why not!?)

About sound quality; I can only hope that Devialet will introduce some sort of Magic Wire idea into the streamer board that makes the whole unit superior to other streamer / DAC combinations out there. Devialet's excellent sound quality is due to the integration. That's the Devialet strength and that's where I hope the focus will be.

RE: Streamer board......? - tategoi - 16-Jul-2017

Without going through a PC can probably avoid introducing noises and interference coming electrical components in the NUC and the network. If the streamer is capable we only need a good NAS, and Melco comes to my mind. But that means Roon is no lonnger an essential component in the playback system.

(16-Jul-2017, 08:56)tategoi Wrote: Without going through a PC can probably avoid introducing noises and interference coming electrical components in the NUC and the network. If the streamer is capable we only need a good NAS, and Melco comes to my mind. But that means Roon is no lonnger an essential component in the playback system.

It's possible to transfer 100% of the data without ANY interference whatsoever. We do it by downloading music from the internet, copying etc. It must be easy to incorporate a little 1 Gb memory / buffer where that data gets copied to and then drawn from by the DAC, timing included. Interference 100% sorted. 

The only thing that can stand in the way of SQ then can be the cable working as an antenna and introducing RF interference to other parts of the unit. A decently shielded cable should do the trick.

RE: Streamer board......? - Chris Marshall - 16-Jul-2017

(16-Jul-2017, 08:34)No Confused Wrote: Picking up on AlenB's question, I have to say that after trying 'Roon AIR' yesterday I found myself very impressed, set up took only a couple of minutes, the integration is excellent and the sound quality excellent also.  So I get the point.  

For me the big question has to be stability.  I have been running a microRendu in a variety of modes, RAAT, DLNA, Shairport, NAA with pretty much 100% stability.  We know that AIR has been plagued with stability issues, believed to be timing issues between the computer OS and the asynchronous input of the Devialet.  So OK, Roon AIR sounded great for one hour yesterday, maybe it is more stable now, but I cannot help but think that AIR is always one OS update from calamity.

Pim also picks up on the key point for me.  I am also ever the optimist, or at least I can allow myself to hope, that maybe the new OS Board might just be utterly superb for sound quality?

As a final point, it was not long ago that we were talking about the OS Board being dealer fit.  There is now this mystery 'modification', to quote "We will take this opportunity to do a few modifications on the motherboard to improve the performance of your unit".  I think the key to this question is more information re the quote above, part of me suspects that this 'modification' is not as big a deal as it sounds, but of course we just don't know at the moment.

The stability issue shows another advantage of Roon ROCK, the os is bespoke to just run Roon and completely in their control so any issues should be picked up in beta testing.

I understand the paranoia, I had my fair share of white noise and more than my fair share of BSOD in windows, but I think Devialet got air sorted at 3.04, the Roon integration should now mean that it stays that way!  

I too am hoping they can improve the sq with the new board, I'm also looking forward to deezer integration, Bluetooth and AirPlay as they will all make my system more accessible to the rest of the family.  You also never know, decent wifi might be even better sound still?

RE: Streamer board......? - pjcamera - 16-Jul-2017

(15-Jul-2017, 14:28)GuillaumeB Wrote: Ok so do we need a new Forum section for Roon with sub sections?

Guillaume

OK, my initial rant was probably unnecessary but I do find 50 page long forum topics hard to follow and vague, so I'd welcome more, but shorter, topics that keep focus. I'd vote for a Roon section with sub sections.

RE: Streamer board......? - Hifi_swlon - 16-Jul-2017

White noise & BSOD aren't, AFAIA, anything to do with AIR per se.
They were Devialets poor coding of a virtual soundcard.

Another vendor writing something from scratch, and not via the soundcard route, makes bsod and white noise impossible/improbable- unless the underlying protocol of Devialet hardware are buggy themselves. Even then I doubt bsod is even possible.

My guess is crackles are a buffering issue and I very much doubt we'll see that from Roon longer term although I note a couple have sprung up on their forums - which could perhaps be bugs, teething or network issues.