Devialet Chat
Core Infinity board - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Core Infinity board (/Thread-Core-Infinity-board)

RE: Streamer board......? - Hifi_swlon - 16-Jul-2017

(16-Jul-2017, 08:56)tategoi Wrote: Without going through a PC can probably avoid introducing noises and interference coming electrical components in the NUC and the network. If the streamer is capable we only need a good NAS, and Melco comes to my mind. But that means Roon is no lonnger an essential component in the playback system.

What would you use to control the music though? This would have to assume a replacement for Roon with the new streamerboard?

RE: Streamer board......? - Pim - 16-Jul-2017

(16-Jul-2017, 11:04)Hifi_swlon Wrote: White noise & BSOD aren't, AFAIA, anything to do with AIR per se.
They were Devialets poor coding of a virtual soundcard.

Another vendor writing something from scratch, and not via the soundcard route, makes bsod and white noise impossible/improbable- unless the underlying protocol of Devialet hardware are buggy themselves. Even then I doubt bsod is even possible.

My guess is crackles are a buffering issue and I very much doubt we'll see that from Roon longer term although I note a couple have sprung up on their forums - which could perhaps be bugs, teething or network issues.

I've had crackles. When  I go to Settings > Library > Background Audio Analysis speed, It's currently analysing 5667 out of 82027 songs. The speed is set at throttled but I assume that all I need to do is ask that little bit more from my processor and it just can't keep up. So tonight I'm going to set it to full speed and hope it will catch up. I assume that once the whole analysing job is done, all that will happen is the odd update.

As a result of my enthusiasm, a mate of mine just signed up to Tidal and Roon. He uses a Sonos system and he also has crackles. Today is his first day so it might be for the same reason. He's got pretty slow internet though. That could be a problem too of course. But at least it shows crackles aren't confined to AIR alone.

Edit: I'm about to go to bed so I increased the analysing speed. I was about to write here that it still works but as soon as I started typing the music stopped  Huh
Time for bed.

RE: Streamer board......? - Confused - 16-Jul-2017

(16-Jul-2017, 08:45)Pim van Vliet Wrote: About sound quality; I can only hope that Devialet will introduce some sort of Magic Wire idea into the streamer board that makes the whole unit superior to other streamer / DAC combinations out there. Devialet's excellent sound quality is due to the integration. That's the Devialet strength and that's where I hope the focus will be.

+1  Here's hoping Pim!! Shy

RE: Streamer board......? - Pim - 16-Jul-2017

(16-Jul-2017, 12:01)Confused Wrote:
(16-Jul-2017, 08:45)Pim van Vliet Wrote: About sound quality; I can only hope that Devialet will introduce some sort of Magic Wire idea into the streamer board that makes the whole unit superior to other streamer / DAC combinations out there. Devialet's excellent sound quality is due to the integration. That's the Devialet strength and that's where I hope the focus will be.

+1  Here's hoping Pim!! Shy

I remember Guillaume posting that someone from Devialet stated that the new streamer board was going to be something 'special'. There's nothing 'special' about the things they've announced so far. The 'special' has to be something nobody else has. And I don't mean Spark 'special'.

RE: Streamer board......? - mdconnelly - 16-Jul-2017

I feel like we've had a very similar debate already. I too am very satisfied with the current state of my Expert Pro and wonder what the new OS board might bring. But I remember very well thinking the exact same way about my Expert. Was the upgrade to Pro really going to be worth it? Will the Pro really sound better? I have absolutely no regrets with that decision now and I know that had I decided to stick with the old Expert, I'd have always wondered what I was missing.

The Devialet Expert Pro with the new OS board is Devialet's future. Whatever comes next will undoubtedly require that board. I understand not wanting the hassle to ship my system back to France to get it, but if I don't, I'm certain that there will come a time in the future where I'll wish I had.

So while I am disappointed at the thought that it may not be dealer/customer upgradeable as I was first told, I will most certainly do whatever is required to get it.

RE: Streamer board......? - tategoi - 16-Jul-2017

(16-Jul-2017, 11:45)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(16-Jul-2017, 08:56)tategoi Wrote: Without going through a PC can probably avoid introducing noises and interference coming electrical components in the NUC and the network. If the streamer is capable we only need a good NAS, and Melco comes to my mind. But that means Roon is no lonnger an essential component in the playback system.

What would you use to control the music though? This would have to assume a replacement for Roon with the new streamerboard?

Now we can have a UPnP-capable NAS controlled with a UPnP controller. Perhaps we can have a similar set-up via LAN instead of USB. I am not sure, let's see how special that streamer board is.

(16-Jul-2017, 13:25)tategoi Wrote:
(16-Jul-2017, 11:45)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

Now we can have a UPnP-capable NAS controlled with a UPnP controller. Perhaps we can have a similar set-up via LAN instead of USB. I am not sure, let's see how special that streamer board is.

Oh I see. Forgot about upnp.

Guess it depends what you can live with software-wise.....

RE: Streamer board......? - AllenB - 16-Jul-2017

Thanks for all the debate guys.

I think we all agree that our Expert Pros sound pretty damn fine already. I'm not sure a streamer board can increase SQ, I tend to look at these things from the opposite direction, that is how much detrimental effect does the streamer board have on what is already a fine sounding unit.

So what is special about this board, as Devialet have now intimated in their mail shot ? As said above, an explanation of the motherboard mods would be welcomed. I am guessing that it must be significant for them to do another massive recall, all at no cost to us (well other than the initial upgrade costs). It would be a helluva lot cheaper for them to send out boards for a dealer / user fit. They mention 'numerous capabilities' will be added after the release? Will this make it a Sonos beater, with every streaming service one can shake a stick at?

Me, I am happy with Roon now integrated into Air, with Tidal & Internet Radio (although the latter could do with re-vamping in the front-end department). This was my No.1 wish and it's working well. There's always room for improvement, but I think I trust Roon a whole load more than Devialet for anything on the software side.

But as also mentioned, there is always a niggle when things are updated and one may not have that streamer board upgrade in place to take advantage. Like it or not, it kind of makes it obligatory.

RE: Streamer board......? - Damon - 16-Jul-2017

(16-Jul-2017, 06:33)AllenB Wrote: OK guys, speculation or not, if one has the fantastic new integration of Roon with Devialet, why would I need the new streamer board?

Please bear in mind that Roon has Tidal and Internet Radio already well entrenched, other than choice, there is no need for Spotify, Deezer etc etc. I don't need to stream UPnP (hate it). ...
So why, please discuss?

Actually, your point here mentions something that I was pleased to see in the streamer board discussions; Deezer. One of the problems, for me, is that most streamers support Tidal or Qobuz. Qobuz is not available in North America, and Tidal's music selection is too limited for me. That is why I ditched Tidal and went to Deezer Elite. It also streams in FLAC, where the file is available in that format, and sounded identical to Tidal when I last compared the two- that was about 18 or 20 months ago. Even if there is a difference in SQ between the two, I would still opt for the music source that has the widest selection. The streamer board will, as I understand it, also support Spotify, which has the widest music selection, and that too is valuable.

So far as I can tell, the new streamer board appears to be almost equal to Sonos in terms of natively supporting the broadest range of streaming sources. That does it for me.

So couple of questions now we have the official date (but not really much else to be honest - I was hoping the 'big reveal' would have a bit more in depth technical info.

So here goes:
Have we seen an image of the full board? Is there an SD card reader on it?

How do we suppose Devialet plan us to control the steaming service listed - the individual apps? On Phsntkm is everything routed through Spark or some standalone players?