Devialet Chat
Core Infinity board - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Core Infinity board (/Thread-Core-Infinity-board)

Core Infinity board - NickB - 19-Oct-2017

Perhaps the mains filtering in Expert Pros is more effective than that in Naim pre-amps which is why you are able to use PLCs successfully?
[/quote]

I think you will find that the difference is that there IS mains filtering in Expert Pro PSU’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Core Infinity board - PhilP - 19-Oct-2017

(19-Oct-2017, 06:40)NickB Wrote: Perhaps the mains filtering in Expert Pros is more effective than that in Naim pre-amps which is why you are able to use PLCs successfully?

I think you will find that the difference is that there IS mains filtering in Expert Pro PSU’s.

[/quote]

Quite so  Angel

RE: Core Infinity board - Pim - 19-Oct-2017

(19-Oct-2017, 06:40)NickB Wrote: Perhaps the mains filtering in Expert Pros is more effective than that in Naim pre-amps which is why you are able to use PLCs successfully?

[/quote]

Nick, are you saying that because of Devialet implementing PLC their implementation of the mains filtering makes it better? Just trying to understand so if would like to know more.

RE: Core Infinity board - Pim - 19-Oct-2017

(18-Oct-2017, 17:08)brit Wrote: Olivier, from Devialet, has made a response on the Core Infinity web page:

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005407909?page=1#comment_115000275585

As follows:

“Hello,
Thank you for your support and feedbacks. Everyone here at Devialet is very excited with this Expert Pro revolution and we want to share this journey with you.
Qobuz and Tidal will not be part of this initial software release but they are in our roadmap for the coming months, along with web radios, Bluetooth and more.
Your Expert Pro will feature AirPlay 2 in the future. Devialet has been highlighted by Apple at the WWDC as a partner for AirPlay 2 integration, but specifications are not final yet. We will, of course, need to implement and test Apple’s new protocol before making it available to your Expert Pro.
Our bit-perfect proprietary protocol AIR will be available in the Nov. 7th release.
And for those of you who use and love the “Roon + Expert Pro” integration, as I do, it will keep on working, only better.

We have more up our sleeves, stay tuned!”

At last some (fairly) meaningful communication Exclamation.

David 

What intrigues me is Olivier's last sentence: "We have more up our sleeves, stay tuned!"

This reminds me of what Guillaume wrote somewhere ages ago when the streamer board was first announced. He was told that Devialet were going to come up with something "very special". So far, the announcements made are just a tad too ordinary to be called 'very special'. Knowing what Devialet are capable off and how they have always surprised us with stuff we didn't even know we wanted I'm exited about the next few months.

RE: Core Infinity board - Confused - 19-Oct-2017

The use of PLC and mains filtering was discussed at the 1000 Pro launch event back in July 2016. Devialet's Mathieu Pernod explained that the PEM used in the D-Premier, Expert and Od'A will filter out PLC signals. The Pro with the new OS board is designed to work with PLC together with Phantoms. So mains goes in to the Devialet un-filtered, PLC can then go to the new streamer board, the mains is then filtered further inside the Devialet to power the amp/DAC itself. Apparently the mains filtration in the Pro is superior to that used in the Expert, which itself is clearly good enough to filter out PLC.

Personally, I would not want to use PLC for audio for noise / sound quality reasons. That said, I am not worried that it is being included as a feature. If you happen to need it, then it's available, if you do not want to use it, then disable it in the configurator.

RE: Core Infinity board - Jean-Marie - 19-Oct-2017

(18-Oct-2017, 22:43)PhilP Wrote:
(18-Oct-2017, 07:30)Jean-Marie Wrote: Yes and even without  Phantom integration, if this PLC function can connect to my Devolo PLC encrypted network, it would allow me to get rid of the plug I’m using currently to connect my D220. 

As per the impact on SQ, I have never perceived any negative impact, and I’m of the opinion that with products thay have properly designed PSUs, which is explicitly the case of the pro version which is mentioning PLC compatibility, SQ is not a problem. 

Jean-Marie
PS: as per my signature you can see that my D220 pro and my D110 before are/we’re fed by PLC.

My experience with PLCs goes back to my time with Naim. For anyone who's interested there are countless posts on the Naim Forum from users who had issues and responses from Naim tech support who commented that they had received numerous calls from customers with various issues that were resolved by replacing PLCs with hard wired Ethernet.  

There are many objections to PLCs. From a hi-fi PoV probably the most important is that they inject noise into the mains (not just from their PSUs but also the transmission signal itself) which can then negatively impact SQ.  

Perhaps the mains filtering in Expert Pros is more effective than that in Naim pre-amps which is why you are able to use PLCs successfully?

I can understand that a fully analog design with a linear PSU gets affected by PLC if you have anywhere some non linear distortion that results in frequency components that fall back in the audible frequency band.

The design of the Devialet with its switched PSU and its ADH design is very different. In particular there are intrinsically high frequency signals (inherent to the class D amplifiers) that need to be efficiently rejected by the A part of the ADH, and therefore I am convinced that class D amplifiers and ADH amplifiers are much more immune to the effect of PLC than pure analog amplifiers.

Jean-Marie

RE: Core Infinity board - K4680 - 20-Oct-2017

(19-Oct-2017, 21:04)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(18-Oct-2017, 22:43)PhilP Wrote:
(18-Oct-2017, 07:30)Jean-Marie Wrote: Yes and even without  Phantom integration, if this PLC function can connect to my Devolo PLC encrypted network, it would allow me to get rid of the plug I’m using currently to connect my D220. 

As per the impact on SQ, I have never perceived any negative impact, and I’m of the opinion that with products thay have properly designed PSUs, which is explicitly the case of the pro version which is mentioning PLC compatibility, SQ is not a problem. 

Jean-Marie
PS: as per my signature you can see that my D220 pro and my D110 before are/we’re fed by PLC.

My experience with PLCs goes back to my time with Naim. For anyone who's interested there are countless posts on the Naim Forum from users who had issues and responses from Naim tech support who commented that they had received numerous calls from customers with various issues that were resolved by replacing PLCs with hard wired Ethernet.  

There are many objections to PLCs. From a hi-fi PoV probably the most important is that they inject noise into the mains (not just from their PSUs but also the transmission signal itself) which can then negatively impact SQ.  

I can understand that a fully analog design with a linear PSU gets affected by PLC if you have anywhere some non linear distortion that results in frequency components that fall back in the audible frequency band.

The design of the Devialet with its switched PSU and its ADH design is very different. In particular there are intrinsically high frequency signals (inherent to the class D amplifiers) that need to be efficiently rejected by the A part of the ADH, and therefore I am convinced that class D amplifiers and ADH amplifiers are much more immune to the effect of PLC than pure analog amplifiers.

Jean-Marie
Hi Jean-Marie,
would also not problems with analog applications. On the market there are special high-quality PLC filter modules, for audio applications !!

RE: Core Infinity board - Gerronwithit - 20-Oct-2017

Why are we still conjecturing about the makeup and functionality of this board? Weren't we supposed to  be being invited by Devialet to send our Pros for the upgrade by now? I thought the first emails should have been sent by now. My own delay is over a year from buying my 250 Pro.

RE: Core Infinity board - Hifi_swlon - 20-Oct-2017

So....

I check in on the forum having barely visited in a month, and unless I've missed something, Devialet are as predictable as ever. Perhaps someone could correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding from the latest posts here:

-The release of the board is delayed as they haven't finished the software/firmware yet (as predicted in my signature Smile ).
-when they do release it, it won't have the few features they've actually announced so far, like Qobuz, because they're not finished yet, they'll follow at a non-specific 'later' date.
-there's still no information about the rest of the featureset hidden in the 'three dots' menu under the 'exciting future announcements' BS.
- it won't be RoonReady but Roon's AIR implementation should still work.
- Devialet said they'd love to share the journey with us, yet have done the complete opposite over the past six months to a year.

So basically you'll get a new board with, as far as I can understand it, no new functionality whatsoever?

Very exciting! I can't wait to ship my unit back to get in line to get.... nothing useful whatsoever.

Business as usual then, I'll check back in November/December and see if there's anything working that will actually make it worthwhile sending the Pro back to France.

Good to see there are a few people still positive about Devialet's amazing talents!

RE: Core Infinity board - Pim - 20-Oct-2017

(20-Oct-2017, 16:44)Hifi_swlon Wrote: So....

I check in on the forum having barely visited in a month, and unless I've missed something, Devialet are as predictable as ever. Perhaps someone could correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding from the latest posts here:

-The release of the board is delayed as they haven't finished the software/firmware yet (as predicted in my signature Smile ).
-when they do release it, it won't have the few features they've actually announced so far, like Qobuz, because they're not finished yet, they'll follow at a non-specific 'later' date.
-there's still no information about the rest of the featureset hidden in the 'three dots' menu under the 'exciting future announcements' BS.
- it won't be RoonReady but Roon's AIR implementation should still work.
- Devialet said they'd love to share the journey with us, yet have done the complete opposite over the past six months to a year.

So basically you'll get a new board with, as far as I can understand it, no new functionality whatsoever?

Very exciting! I can't wait to ship my unit back to get in line to get.... nothing useful whatsoever.

Business as usual then, I'll check back in November/December and see if there's anything working that will actually make it worthwhile sending the Pro back to France.

Good to see there are a few people still positive about Devialet's amazing talents!

Improved USB input