Devialet Chat
Roon supports Devialet AIR - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Roon supports Devialet AIR (/Thread-Roon-supports-Devialet-AIR)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - rchinn - 14-Jul-2017

I just signed up to the three month Roon trial. Everything hooks up easily and I can control the Devialet via Roon. My only issue is I get infrequent interruptions to playback - like a streaming or buffering problem.

I see you're all recommending Ethernet. I don't have that option, I can only use WiFi from my laptop. Connection wise, my laptop and Devialet are on the same Google Wifi hub. The laptop is set as the priority device. There shouldn't be a bandwith problem. 

Any ideas? Some screenshot from Roon here:

[Image: lZmLwfU.jpg]
[Image: whrUtsl.png]

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Hifi_swlon - 14-Jul-2017

Suggestion: make the buffer a lot bigger than 100ms, and work backwards to lower it as much as possible while keeping stable playback. Wifi isn't just bandwidth though - it's channels jumping around, conflicting wifi networks, environment, etc etc. Maybe power lines if it fails?

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Dannythered - 14-Jul-2017

(14-Jul-2017, 04:06)Wdw Wrote: Gotta say, this is a marvelous upgrade coming from ROON and Devialet.  
Have recently installed a ROON ROCK serving directly to the dCS Bridge and in early and short order comparisons the differences are audible but very subtle...the absense of the Bridge, while aubilbly better, would not be noticed when listening to the seriously good music this new "air" is doing.
In this scenario the use of a linux based NUC, solely dedicated to ROON, is the larger actor  (A computer intentionly made to mimic the IQ of a frog)
Pity the poor souls who don't have Devialet in house to hear what's up.
Best

Pity the poor Linn souls  Big Grin

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Saunter - 14-Jul-2017

So i updated ROON and the new set up works really well (but man the volume control is sensitive.. may have speaker damage)

What has changed though is that i can't feed the Dev from ROON through JPlay, which i did very successfully before.
JPlay seems no longer able to find the Devialet.

Any ideas.

Was jplay using the AIR driver? If so you can't have both at the same time as Roon will grab control of AIR, you'd have to run the AIR driver when you want to use jplay.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Saunter - 14-Jul-2017

Yeah i figured that out playing around....

Oh well... have to do some critical listening to figure which sounds better if there is any difference at all.

Thanks for the reply..

(14-Jul-2017, 12:39)Saunter Wrote: Yeah i figured that out playing around....

Oh well... have to do some critical listening to figure which sounds better if there is any difference at all.

Thanks for the reply..

No worries.

I'd add your thoughts about volume control here if I were you.
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/devialet-volume-control-limits/28200

Seems like Danny is already agreed with a limit concept, but the sensitivity is a whole other issue. In fact I'm pretty sure there's a general discussion topic about Roon volume controls too.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - AaronG - 14-Jul-2017

I agree. The sound is very airy and, well, very Devialet-y. It seems to really draw out the strengths of the amp. Acoustic space is far more evident. I haven't compared it to the Antipodes DX, in a sense it is still running on the Antipodes DX insofar as that is where my Roon Core is, but it sounds worlds better than the microRendu with the fancy power supply. I have had a few buffering problems but I hope they iron out.

(14-Jul-2017, 06:55)Jan Wrote:
(13-Jul-2017, 08:51)no32 Wrote: How good does it sound ?
How is it with compare to external streamers like totldac aurender linn etc ?

I have a aurender n10 and Roon sound is now equal or even better than the aurender 
I think this is the best update in years .
I can hear more air in the highs on my Bowers 803 d3 and Devialet 1000 pro.
The core is running on a synologie 960 and is really fast with 5000 albums.
Thank you Roon and Devialet !!!

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Confused - 14-Jul-2017

Has anyone gleaned how this Roon /Devialet AIR link up actually works? I have read a few posts regarding sound quality being better / worse, which got me wondering. I am assuming that Roon's RAAT protocol is not used and that Roon is generating a 'bit perfect' feed which is then transferred via AIR protocol to the Devialet. OK, that's my assumption, does anyone know more? What I am thinking is that in the absence of any Devialet firmware updates, clearly this is using normal AIR protocol streaming. That said, with the AIR 'driver' software fully integrated into Roon, I am thinking that there is genuine potential for sound quality improvements?

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - thumb5 - 14-Jul-2017

I don't have any more information but had come to the same conclusion about how this works: Roon has effectively built in its own replacement for the AIR driver/virtual sound card and the control mechanisms used by the iPhone app, based on the AIR network protocol.  I doubt the Devialet actually knows or cares whether it's talking to Roon or the AIR driver.  So I'd concluded that there were unlikely to be any sound quality differences, since both would deliver a bit-perfect stream to the same interface on the Devialet.  That's not to discourage anyone from listening for (and hearing) a difference, of course Smile  For me the main benefit is the integration of power on/off, source selection and volume control into one place, and the hoped-for improvement in reliability compared to the AIR virtual sound card mechanism.