Devialet Chat
Roon supports Devialet AIR - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Roon supports Devialet AIR (/Thread-Roon-supports-Devialet-AIR)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Pim - 14-Jul-2017

I wasn't looking for a difference in sound quality. I was just trying out how Roon works. But it immediately sounded fuller and more rounded off in the highs. Others have mentioned the same on the Roon community forum so I'm not alone here. Just to give you some perspective; I've tried different USB cables, regenerators and enhancing software before and never really felt it did much if anything at all. This with Roon was obvious right from the get go.

As to how I have no idea.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - AaronG - 14-Jul-2017

Is it using AIR? It seems to be a direct connection between my Antipodes Server which has Roon Server and Roon Ready installed and the Devialet via ethernet. When the computer I have AIR on is off it works just fine using my phone as a controller.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - baconbrain - 14-Jul-2017

Hmmm, with all the positive statements I am almost afraid to try since it would put a serious kink in my existing signal chain. In particular, I would have no option for integrating the Trinnov which I cannot live without ...

I really wish the Dev had a tape loop .....

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Hifi_swlon - 14-Jul-2017

(14-Jul-2017, 13:14)Confused Wrote: Has anyone gleaned how this Roon /Devialet AIR link up actually works?  I have read a few posts regarding sound quality being better / worse, which got me wondering.  I am assuming that Roon's RAAT protocol is not used and that Roon is generating a 'bit perfect' feed which is then transferred via AIR protocol to the Devialet.  OK, that's my assumption, does anyone know more?  What I am thinking is that in the absence of any Devialet firmware updates, clearly this is using normal AIR protocol streaming.  That said, with the AIR 'driver' software fully integrated into Roon, I am thinking that there is genuine potential for sound quality improvements?

As far as I understand it, Roon have coded their own version of AIR (in conjunction with and based on the specs provided by Devialet) that fits into the rest of their streaming architecture. Ie Roon sends the Devialet exactly what it is expecting per the design of AIR. This is quite different to Devialet's implementation which - because it wasn't specific to one piece of software - was a virtual soundcard driver based on AIR

For what it's worth I think there's a difference between the AIR driver and Roons AIR today. Subtle but different - Roons AIR having a less emphasised bass. There are subtle differences between the digione and AIR too. But i need to listen more because my system changes daily so could be that AIR is the same if I go back to the driver (very confusing discussing differences with both being called AIR!). Whether it's power supply or human factors I'm not sure why it changes so often but I'm certain it does.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - AaronG - 14-Jul-2017

If this is the case then perhaps the improvement in sound is due to the fact that there is less getting in the way of my Antipodes -- no microRendu and no USB.

RE: Roon now supports Devialet AIR natively ! - tategoi - 14-Jul-2017

Should I upgrade to ROCK?

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - mdconnelly - 14-Jul-2017

It's interesting to note... While Devialet most certainly must have collaborated with Roon on AIR specs and requirements, this must have been entirely Roon's implementation since no new Devialet firmware was required to support it. Roon prides itself on single code base so however they're doing it - it's now supporting Mac, Windows & Linux! That is an astonishing accomplishment. At this point, I can't imagine a Devialet Expert owner not seeing Roon as the perfect match. Hell, Devialet should bundle a Roon license with every Expert Pro purchase.

Of course, Devialet must still maintain and support their own AIR drivers for Windows and Macs for all those that have not yet discovered Roon. Given that, it will be interesting to see how the new OS board plays a part in that.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Celts88 - 14-Jul-2017

(14-Jul-2017, 15:15)AaronG Wrote: If this is the case then perhaps the improvement in sound is due to the fact that there is less getting in the way of my Antipodes -- no microRendu and no USB.

Aaron

I've got an Antipodes DS and the new 242 build seems to have tamed the top end for me (previously sounded too 'clean'). Even my wife (who isn't into this 'Hi-Fi' rubbish) said she could hear a difference for the better.

Cheers
John

PS Totally off subject, but 2 x DX in your system whoa!!!! (lonely wee DS in my system)

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - BoyScout - 14-Jul-2017

(13-Jul-2017, 23:15)thumb5 Wrote: That does sound like strange behaviour.  Sorry, I don't think I can help - perhaps best to talk directly to Roon support?

Thanks thumb5,
But, today after lunch the problem remains and before contact the Roon support, i turned all off and on again: everythig´s perfect now, i can run all the music, i have the proper volume control but... i don´t know what happened!
I hope this is not something that happens frequently, we´ll see.
But thanks, again.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - BoyScout - 14-Jul-2017

(13-Jul-2017, 23:58)baddog Wrote: @BoyScout - I see you have both WIFI and Ethernet enabled for your Devialet. I don't know if this will help, but can you disable the WIFI and just leave the Ethernet one enabled? 

Also disable, System Output, Built in Output and Devialet AIR.

And seeing "Devialet AIR" makes me wonder if you still have the Devialet (not Roon) AIR driver installed in your Mac? 

You can download "[url=@BoyScout - I see you have both WIFI and Ethernet enabled for your Devialet. I don't know if this will help, but can you disable the WIFI and just leave the Ethernet one enabled?   Also disable, System Output, Built in Output and Devialet AIR.  And seeing "Devialet AIR" makes me wonder if you still have the Devialet (not Roon) AIR driver installed in your Mac?   You can download "CCleaner" for free and have it completely uninstall the AIR driver supplied by Devialet.  https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner-mac]CCleaner[/url]" for free and have it completely uninstall the AIR driver supplied by Devialet.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner-mac

From the screenshot I have attached you can see I only have one item enabled on my system.
All is working fine, now.
Just a off/on matter, nothing about setup. Strange but ok right now.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers.