Devialet Chat
Roon supports Devialet AIR - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Roon supports Devialet AIR (/Thread-Roon-supports-Devialet-AIR)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - AaronG - 14-Jul-2017

Only have one DX! It is just running Roon Core for both of my systems.

Glad you are getting even better sound with the new Roon Air.

(14-Jul-2017, 16:49)Celts88 Wrote:
(14-Jul-2017, 15:15)AaronG Wrote: If this is the case then perhaps the improvement in sound is due to the fact that there is less getting in the way of my Antipodes -- no microRendu and no USB.

Aaron

I've got an Antipodes DS and the new 242 build seems to have tamed the top end for me (previously sounded too 'clean'). Even my wife (who isn't into this 'Hi-Fi' rubbish) said she could hear a difference for the better.

Cheers
John

PS Totally off subject, but 2 x DX in your system whoa!!!! (lonely wee DS in my system)

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Celts88 - 14-Jul-2017

(14-Jul-2017, 17:25)AaronG Wrote: Only have one DX! It is just running Roon Core for both of my systems.

Glad you are getting even better sound with the new Roon Air.

(14-Jul-2017, 16:49)Celts88 Wrote:
(14-Jul-2017, 15:15)AaronG Wrote: If this is the case then perhaps the improvement in sound is due to the fact that there is less getting in the way of my Antipodes -- no microRendu and no USB.

Aaron

I've got an Antipodes DS and the new 242 build seems to have tamed the top end for me (previously sounded too 'clean'). Even my wife (who isn't into this 'Hi-Fi' rubbish) said she could hear a difference for the better.

Cheers
John

PS Totally off subject, but 2 x DX in your system whoa!!!! (lonely wee DS in my system)

Aaron

With the new Roon Build making a good improvement for network access to Servers (in our case Antipodes) it makes it so much better for multi-room SQ. Realise multi-room was always there, but now with new Roon build the sound via Ethernet AIR is just as good as my direct connection form Antipodes to Devialet via USB.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Hifi_swlon - 14-Jul-2017

(14-Jul-2017, 16:19)mdconnelly Wrote: It's interesting to note...  While Devialet most certainly must have collaborated with Roon on AIR specs and requirements, this must have been entirely Roon's implementation since no new Devialet firmware was required to support it.    

Just to be clear, AIR is an audio streaming protocol Devialet came up with and the built into the Experts.

What we know as 'AIR' is Devialet's 'virtual soundcard' device, that lets you stream through a computer - selecting it as the audio output - from any source on the computer. It talks to the Devialet using the AIR protocol.

Up until now this was the only option, so we just all called it all AIR.

Roon have 'simply' written their own way to communicate to the Devialet in the same way they talk to all devices - but this time written some code to talk using AIR rather than their own RAAT. Providing Roon got the specs right, there would be no need for new firmware - nothing changed Devialet's end.

I think Devialet made a big deal out of the driver doing something clever, but actually I just think it was as simple as above, and sadly not executed very well.

Roon have of course built other protocols into Roon, like the Meridian one (which I assume if they didn't invent it they know it very well from their time together, and I believe Meridians is also based on UDP). Roon have made it look easy of course because they are experts in their field of computer audio streaming development, and have done this for much of their careers - I'm sure knowing lots of the pitfalls and best practices makes the job somewhat easier. They obviously seem to have a different attitude to QA and customer satisfaction too.

I did read a comment somewhere by one if them saying what Devialet were doing with their virtual driver was much harder to get right due to the realitime streaming elements and other things involved. Still, others seem to have done it successfully.

I'm just glad Devialet finally saw sense and let someone else 'in'. Clearly they chose the right people/company to do it with.

I hope the relationship brings RoonReady to the Core Infinity, that way there will be another option for those of us that like to group things. I believe they have plans to add some other very exciting exclusive features to the RAAT/RoonReady ecosystem in the future.....

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Will - 15-Jul-2017

Roon has not solved the "white" noise problem - they have obviously just incorporated Devialet Air software into Roon. (And I have deleted Devialet Air from my computer)

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - jukemark - 15-Jul-2017

If Roon can include Power/Source switchover/Volume on its app why couldn't Dev do it on Lightning! This alone is a big big upgrade on my 220 for me, the 220 itself is clearly capable. Huh

Qobuz in Roon would be the icing on a very tasty cake...

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - thumb5 - 15-Jul-2017

(15-Jul-2017, 00:48)Will Wrote: Roon has not solved the "white" noise problem - they have obviously just incorporated Devialet Air software into Roon.

Those are both rather bold statements -- care to elaborate on why you think that?

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Will - 15-Jul-2017

(15-Jul-2017, 07:04)thumb5 Wrote:
(15-Jul-2017, 00:48)Will Wrote: Roon has not solved the "white" noise problem - they have obviously just incorporated Devialet Air software into Roon.

Those are both rather bold statements -- care to elaborate on why you think that?

Quite simply - I am experiencing similar problems as with Devialet Air - intermittent crackling - perhaps not as severe or as frequent as Devialet Air, but I have only listened to about four hours worth of music so far!  I think the sound quality is fantastic - so I hope it is resolved.  The second comment is a conclusion (perhaps wrong) based on my observation.  I am not the only one to report this - as a similar (if more tentative) observation has been reported on the Roon discussion forum. 

I do not experience similar problems with other wifi audio services such as Bluesound and Google Chromecast.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Pim - 15-Jul-2017

(15-Jul-2017, 07:45)Will Wrote:

Quite simply - I am experiencing similar problems as with Devialet Air - intermittent crackling - perhaps not as severe or as frequent as Devialet Air, but I have only listened to about four hours worth of music so far!  I think the sound quality is fantastic - so I hope it is resolved.  The second comment is a conclusion (perhaps wrong) based on my observation.  I am not the only one to report this - as a similar (if more tentative) observation has reported on the Roon discussion forum. 

I do not experience similar problems with other wifi audio services such as Bluesound and Google Chromecast.

I've also heard some crackling at times but every time it happens I know it is because i've just made some change that asks too much of the processor. It's not white noise though, just the odd crackle. Roon makes it quite clear in their manuals that Roon requires a LOT of processing power and that if you don't have that, there will be trouble.

Have you tried increasing the buffer? I just increased it to 1 second. So far not a crackle.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - thumb5 - 15-Jul-2017

(15-Jul-2017, 07:45)Will Wrote:

Quite simply - I am experiencing similar problems as with Devialet Air - intermittent crackling - perhaps not as severe or as frequent as Devialet Air, but I have only listened to about four hours worth of music so far!  I think the sound quality is fantastic - so I hope it is resolved.  The second comment is a conclusion (perhaps wrong) based on my observation.  I am not the only one to report this - as a similar (if more tentative) observation has been reported on the Roon discussion forum. 

I see; I misunderstood what you meant by "white noise" and "incorporated".  Thanks.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Axel - 15-Jul-2017

A couple of questions.

I'd love to run Roon, but I don't want my Mac, which is upstairs, to be running. So what is the most effective and cheapest way of running Roon on my system?

If I did have to use the Mac, and install Roon core on it, could I still have the QNAP NAS running into my Mutec, or does  the audio have to be rooted through the Mac? Please bear in mind that everything on my LAN is connected by Ethernet cable.