Devialet Chat
Roon supports Devialet AIR - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Roon supports Devialet AIR (/Thread-Roon-supports-Devialet-AIR)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - SwissBear - 15-Jul-2017

(15-Jul-2017, 07:45)Will Wrote:
(15-Jul-2017, 07:04)thumb5 Wrote:
(15-Jul-2017, 00:48)Will Wrote: Roon has not solved the "white" noise problem - they have obviously just incorporated Devialet Air software into Roon.

Those are both rather bold statements -- care to elaborate on why you think that?

Quite simply - I am experiencing similar problems as with Devialet Air - intermittent crackling - perhaps not as severe or as frequent as Devialet Air, but I have only listened to about four hours worth of music so far!  I think the sound quality is fantastic - so I hope it is resolved.  The second comment is a conclusion (perhaps wrong) based on my observation.  I am not the only one to report this - as a similar (if more tentative) observation has been reported on the Roon discussion forum. 

I do not experience similar problems with other wifi audio services such as Bluesound and Google Chromecast.

A few thoughts which might (or might not) help.
  • what is the level of signal/noise ratio you have in your WiFi connection ? (load Devialet AIR and go to Settings->Devialet WiFI). I noticed that placing the WiFI WAP to reach a signal/noise ratio > -35db could improve the situation significantly
  • I also noticed that I had much better reliability using a 'standard' WAP (in opposition to an Apple Airport) powered by a linear power supply. Crackling happen when some data frames are lost, for one reason or another. And latest Airport WAPs do not appear to be exempt from data frame losses.
These two 'tricks' helped me increase the reliability of AIR considerably. With Roon/AIR, I have been able to listen with only one or two crackles since it has been released.

Google Chromecast is limited to 24/96kHz, and might be less demanding in terms of quality of the WiFi connection.

RE: Roon now supports Devialet AIR natively ! - Chris Marshall - 15-Jul-2017

(14-Jul-2017, 16:18)tategoi Wrote: Should I upgrade to ROCK?

If you have a suitable device to try it on and are happy with the out of box functionality then I would say yes.  If you need to buy the kit it's more considered and depends how you feel about maintaining windows, Linux or Mac OS?  ROCK completely removes that need.

It's working really well for me and now with Air streaming I have the most hassle free streaming solution I've ever had, ROCK and AIR are just as easy to set up and use as a Sonos!  Maybe even easier as you don't need a NAS anywhere if you use local storage on ROCK.

It's been a long time since I got my first squeezebox but finally I think streaming has got there ?

RE: Roon now supports Devialet AIR natively ! - tategoi - 15-Jul-2017

Thanks Chris. I just did. What I like most is the dedicated OS running in the NUC.

(15-Jul-2017, 09:13)Axel Wrote: A couple of questions.

I'd love to run Roon, but I don't want my Mac, which is upstairs, to be running. So what is the most effective and cheapest way of running Roon on my system?

If I did have to use the Mac, and install Roon core on it, could I still have the QNAP NAS running into my Mutec, or does  the audio have to be rooted through the Mac? Please bear in mind that everything on my LAN is connected by Ethernet cable.

Not sure why you would want to continue to use your Mutec in case you are using Roon/AIR. The Mutec was an interesting option to avoid using USB on the Devialet. I personally took my sMS-200+Mutec out of the system when I reached a correct level of reliability/SQ with AIR.

I do not know of any version of Roon running on a NAS. You can have any type of small machine (NUC) running on Windows/Linux/Mac OS, and connect this machine to your Devialet through Ethernet RJ45 cables. The best way to test would be to use your existing Mac. In my case, I have Roon running on a MacMini, accessing my music on a NAS an connected with WiFi to the Devialet. It has been working close to perfection for some time.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Chris Marshall - 15-Jul-2017

(15-Jul-2017, 09:13)I Axel Wrote: A couple of questions.

I'd love to run Roon, but I don't want my Mac, which is upstairs, to be running. So what is the most effective and cheapest way of running Roon on my system?

If I did have to use the Mac, and install Roon core on it, could I still have the QNAP NAS running into my Mutec, or does  the audio have to be rooted through the Mac? Please bear in mind that everything on my LAN is connected by Ethernet cable.

Hi Axel

There are a few options with Roon which makes it very flexible.

The core is the main Roon component and does all the heavy processing so needs a reasonable pc though it will work ok on even older celeron boxes, windows Mac or Linux are supported so you could put it on the Mac for a trial.

You can then control it from the Mac itself or a suitable tablet, phone or laptop with the remote app.

You have a number of options for connecting devices:

They can connect directly to the core vie USB or whatever outputs the pc has
There is a software called Roon bridge that runs on various platforms that allow you to connect to devices on the network, the Linux version may run on your qnap but I can't be sure about that
There are a number of Roon ready devices that connect to the network and will play out to USB, e.g. Microrendu.
Finally, there is AIR which needs nothing other than a network cable and sounds great

If you do like Roon, there is a dedicated Linux solution called ROCK which runs on specified Intel nuc mini pc's and would remove the need to use the Mac 

There is loads of information over on Roon's site, the knowledge base will help out 

https://roonlabs.com/support.html

Cheers 

Chris

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Axel - 15-Jul-2017

(15-Jul-2017, 09:50)SwissBear Wrote:
(15-Jul-2017, 09:13)Axel Wrote: A couple of questions.

Not sure why you would want to continue to use your Mutec in case you are using Roon/AIR. The Mutec was an interesting option to avoid using USB on the Devialet. I personally took my sMS-200+Mutec out of the system when I reached a correct level of reliability/SQ with AIR.

I do not know of any version of Roon running on a NAS. You can have any type of small machine (NUC) running on Windows/Linux/Mac OS, and connect this machine to your Devialet through Ethernet RJ45 cables. The best way to test would be to use your existing Mac. In my case, I have Roon running on a MacMini, accessing my music on a NAS an connected with WiFi to the Devialet. It has been working close to perfection for some time.
Thanks. Yeah, the only reason I wanted to use the Mutec was for its reclocking abilities. I think I might install Roon on the Mac, so that I can get a feel for it. I'm sure I can't run Roon on my NAS because there is not enough RAM, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to run the Linux version of Roon on a properly specified machine.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Axel - 15-Jul-2017

(15-Jul-2017, 09:54)Chris Marshall Wrote:
(15-Jul-2017, 09:13)I Axel Wrote: A couple of questions.

Hi Axel

There are a few options with Roon which makes it very flexible.

The core is the main Roon component and does all the heavy processing so needs a reasonable pc though it will work ok on even older celeron boxes, windows Mac or Linux are supported so you could put it on the Mac for a trial.

You can then control it from the Mac itself or a suitable tablet, phone or laptop with the remote app.

You have a number of options for connecting devices:

They can connect directly to the core vie USB or whatever outputs the pc has
There is a software called Roon bridge that runs on various platforms that allow you to connect to devices on the network, the Linux version may run on your qnap but I can't be sure about that
There are a number of Roon ready devices that connect to the network and will play out to USB, e.g. Microrendu.
Finally, there is AIR which needs nothing other than a network cable and sounds great

If you do like Roon, there is a dedicated Linux solution called ROCK which runs on specified Intel nuc mini pc's and would remove the need to use the Mac 

There is loads of information over on Roon's site, the knowledge base will help out 

https://roonlabs.com/support.html

Cheers 

Chris

Thanks Chris. My idea was not to have a computer of any sort in the system, but I think I'll try the Mac over Air to the Devialet and see if I like it. I might just stick to my present setup and not bother with Roon.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - thumb5 - 15-Jul-2017

To second (third?) what SwissBear and Chris have already said, it's definitely worth giving Roon a try on your Mac. If you like it, there are plenty of options for setting it up to run on a physically small, headless machine. Beware, once you try Roon it will be hard to go back to other ways of accessing and playing your music!

(15-Jul-2017, 09:58)Axel Wrote: Thanks. Yeah, the only reason I wanted to use the Mutec was for its reclocking abilities. I think I might install Roon on the Mac, so that I can get a feel for it. I'm sure I can't run Roon on my NAS because there is not enough RAM, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to run the Linux version of Roon on a properly specified machine.

You're absolutely right. The Mutec is a fantastic reclocker. And this is very useful in case you use an input like AES/EBU on the Devialet which includes the flow of music, together with a clock signal. This proved incredibly efficient.

And you can obviously continue to use this option connecting the Mutec on the USB output of your MacMini or any NUC you would want to use.

But when you use Roon/AIR, the stream you are sending to the Devialet is asynchronous. So you just don't need a precise clock, as this is the internal clock of the Devialet which will give the timing reference.

Like yourself, I do not see any reason why you would not be able to use a linux NUC, provided you have the skills to maintain it. ROCK was designed to be maintenance free, that's all I guess.

(15-Jul-2017, 10:07)thumb5 Wrote: To second (third?) what SwissBear and Chris have already said, it's definitely worth giving Roon a try on your Mac.  If you like it, there are plenty of options for setting it up to run on a physically small, headless machine.  Beware, once you try Roon it will be hard to go back to other ways of accessing and playing your music!

Agreed. Difficult to get backwards...