Devialet Chat
Roon supports Devialet AIR - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Roon supports Devialet AIR (/Thread-Roon-supports-Devialet-AIR)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Will - 15-Jul-2017

(15-Jul-2017, 07:50)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(15-Jul-2017, 07:45)Will Wrote:
(15-Jul-2017, 07:04)thumb5 Wrote: Those are both rather bold statements -- care to elaborate on why you think that?

Quite simply - I am experiencing similar problems as with Devialet Air - intermittent crackling - perhaps not as severe or as frequent as Devialet Air, but I have only listened to about four hours worth of music so far!  I think the sound quality is fantastic - so I hope it is resolved.  The second comment is a conclusion (perhaps wrong) based on my observation.  I am not the only one to report this - as a similar (if more tentative) observation has reported on the Roon discussion forum. 

I do not experience similar problems with other wifi audio services such as Bluesound and Google Chromecast.

I've also heard some crackling at times but every time it happens I know it is because i've just made some change that asks too much of the processor. It's not white noise though, just the odd crackle. Roon makes it quite clear in their manuals that Roon requires a LOT of processing power and that if you don't have that, there will be trouble.

Have you tried increasing the buffer? I just increased it to 1 second. So far not a crackle.
Thanks Pim, I will give it a go.  I do like the sound of Roon - it is as least as good as Devialet AIR.  And I can live with an occasional crackle - after all I did used to listen to vinyl  Big Grin   I just I hope I can get it to work!

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Confused - 15-Jul-2017

I have just spent some time trying Roon / AIR vs Roon HQPlayer / microRendu / Mutec MC3+USB.  Much as my confirmation bias would like me to state Roon HQPlayer / microRendu / Mutec MC3+USB crushed Roon /AIR without mercy, I have to be honest, it did not.  In fact it was far closer than I had expected, very close indeed.  OK, I am still going to declare the microRendu / Mutec MC3+USB as the one I prefer and will stick with, but the margins are small enough that I had to do a lot of A/B switching on particular tracks to be sure of what I was hearing, the margins are very small here.  Out of curiosity I switched back to Roon via 'traditional' AIR and it still sounds good, but yes, I am as sure as I can be that something in the direct integration of AIR within Roon has afforded an improvement.  Again, this is all small margin stuff, but I am kind of with Pim and his 'fuller' comment, but in no way does that take away from the details and realism etc.  Impressive!

EDIT:  I know there have been some comments regarding the sensitivity of the Devialet volume control within Roon (which Roon have confirmed that they are looking at), but for me, sat with Roon on the iPad and the Devialet remote by my side, just having the indication of the volume in the corner of the iPad, together with my track list was most welcome.  Very cool! Cool  These little things can make a big difference. Shy

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - mdconnelly - 15-Jul-2017

(15-Jul-2017, 10:45)rchinn Wrote: One more technical support question. I have increased the Buffer size to 3000ms, and tracks play smoothly, but occasionally Roon will just stop, like the track is paused and it doesn't start again, it just hangs.

I had this happen to me last night - just once since the Roon update.   The music started playing and then just stopped.   The Roon app on my iPad did not show any progress on the music.    I left it for maybe 10 seconds to see if it would self-recover.   It did not.   I then pressed the music pause button in the Roon app and pressed play again.  All was fine after that.    I am ethernet connected and buffer set to default.

I'm not surprised by an occasional glitch - who knows what else may have been happening on my Win 10 box running Roon Core at the time.   I haven't logged this with Roon yet, but if I see it again I will.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Will - 15-Jul-2017

I should have added in my comments about issues with Devialet and Roon that I also use Roon with my Bluesound - nodes and players - CD and HiRes as well as Tidal CD quality and MQA and it works perfectly well - no dropouts, crackling etc. If the issue is a processing capacity one - why do not the same problems occur when streaming to Bluesound equipment?  I ask in ignorance of these matters!

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - baconbrain - 15-Jul-2017

(15-Jul-2017, 12:57)Confused Wrote: I have just spent some time trying Roon / AIR vs Roon HQPlayer / microRendu / Mutec MC3+USB.  Much as my confirmation bias would like me to state Roon HQPlayer / microRendu / Mutec MC3+USB crushed Roon /AIR without mercy, I have to be honest, it did not.  In fact it was far closer than I had expected, very close indeed.  OK, I am still going to declare the microRendu / Mutec MC3+USB as the one I prefer and will stick with, but the margins are small enough that I had to do a lot of A/B switching on particular tracks to be sure of what I was hearing, the margins are very small here.  Out of curiosity I switched back to Roon via 'traditional' AIR and it still sounds good, but yes, I am as sure as I can be that something in the direct integration of AIR within Roon has afforded an improvement.  Again, this is all small margin stuff, but I am kind of with Pim and his 'fuller' comment, but in no way does that take away from the details and realism etc.  Impressive!

EDIT:  I know there have been some comments regarding the sensitivity of the Devialet volume control within Roon (which Roon have confirmed that they are looking at), but for me, sat with Roon on the iPad and the Devialet remote by my side, just having the indication of the volume in the corner of the iPad, together with my track list was most welcome.  Very cool! Cool  These little things can make a big difference. Shy

Interesting and thanks for the comparison. Somewhat supports my suspicion that Ethernet (vs. USB) is the preferred transport.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Rocketmannequin - 15-Jul-2017

The integration of Air in Roon makes for such a better experience. In the past I would on occasion have to log in to my Mac Mini and quit Air and reopen it so that the music would play. Now, I can turn the Dev on and off from the Roon app on my iPhone, and there are no hiccups with the Air app on the Mini anymore. Also nice to have the Dev icon on the Roon interface. I'm now testing for sound quality, but so far just enjoy the convenience. Well done to Roon. Looking forward what this means in the future as regards Roon integration into the streaming board. "Infinity Core"? The Devialet marketing department has clearly been watching too many fantasy films.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - BoyScout - 15-Jul-2017

(15-Jul-2017, 15:13)Rocketmannequin Wrote: The integration of Air in Roon makes for such a better experience.  In the past I would on occasion have to log in to my Mac Mini and quit Air and reopen it so that the music would play.  Now, I can turn the Dev on and off from the Roon app on my iPhone, and there are no hiccups with the Air app on the Mini anymore.  Also nice to have the Dev icon on the Roon interface.  I'm now testing for sound quality, but so far just enjoy the convenience.  Well done to Roon.  Looking forward what this means in the future as regards Roon integration into the streaming board.  "Infinity Core"?  The Devialet marketing department has clearly been watching too many fantasy films.

Sorry for my ignorance, but i needed to erase the AIR app away from my mac to get roon working properly.
Am i missing something?

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Mr_Bill - 15-Jul-2017

Yes, you need to remove the AIR app from what I've read.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Hifi_swlon - 15-Jul-2017

I just set mine to disable (on a Mac) and it works fine. There were one or two times where it didn't seem to let go but it's been solid for a while.
If you're not going to use it anymore, or there are issues, then it makes sense to remove it I suppose.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - baddog - 15-Jul-2017

(15-Jul-2017, 12:04)agentsmith Wrote: I am having occasional drop outs.

My network is all wired with CAT6 UTP running 1Gbps.

Server is Macmini with internal 500GB SSD, music is in 4TB external Thunderbolt and USB drives.

Any advice on the best way to tune and optimize the network?

So assuming Roon isn't importing music or doing audio analysis in the background, and given you are connected via ethernet, I would suggest, if you have not done so already, that you give the Mac Mini and Devialet fixed (static) IP addresses. I don't really think that will make a difference but you never know.

Are the drop outs random or related to any particular type of music being played? Meaning high res, DSD, et al, not country, folk, polka, etc...

Also as someone mentioned you can try tuning the buffer size. Mine is low at 50ms but I am not having any issues, wired with ethernet.