Devialet Chat
Roon supports Devialet AIR - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Roon supports Devialet AIR (/Thread-Roon-supports-Devialet-AIR)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Alec_eiffel - 20-Jul-2017

Dear jgw911,
Sorry to hear about your bad experience, which is unusual.
1) are you running the D200 on the latest firmware version ?
2) otherwise you have a network issue of some sort.
Anyway if you're happy with your setup I guess you should stick with it Smile

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Hifi_swlon - 20-Jul-2017

(20-Jul-2017, 20:01)Jgw911 Wrote: I was quite excited to get the email from Devialet announcing Roon integration. Many of you guys seemed very keen on it so I was interested to give it a try. However I cannot get it to work properly. I've found if I set the buffer size to 3000ms then it's ok-ish. Anything less than that and i get crackles followed by silence eventually (ranging from 10 seconds to a few minutes). Tried posting this on the Roon Community site but I've not found the famously helpful community there very helpful. After the usual audiophile hysteria about using powerline plugs (they work fine and in any case I've tested with a direct Ethernet cable and no difference) I've had absolute silence on my issues. Spent a couple of days mucking around with settings in Roon and my PC to try and get it to work and then I suddenly remembered why I bought a NAS - so I could get the PC completely out of my replay chain and not have to spend any more days buggering around with PC software settings.

Sure Roon has a nice interface and great music curation but when I get that valuable and infrequent spare hour to sit and listen to some music I don't want to spend it mucking about with a PC; I want to spend it actually listening to some music. So back to my Linn Majik DS playing music from my NAS (via powerline plugs) and connected to the Devialet digital input. Rock solid and reliable, and at the end of the day that matters more than fancy interfaces.

Roon deleted from my PC.

Sorry to hear that also - at least a few of us frequent both forums so I'm surprised you've had little help. Of you're still interested perhaps post a link to the Roon topic here? Netwirking stuff can be frustrating and time consuming to fix, but it can be rewarding too - I'm sure there are plenty of willing helpers.

Of course if it served the purpose of confirming that you like what you've already got, then that's also great!

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Jgw911 - 20-Jul-2017

Thanks for the supportive replies guys. Yes I am running the latest firmware. I've tried connecting the D200 straight to my router via 1m cat5e and still get the same issues so not sure what network problem it could be. Maybe the Roon software is interacting badly with other software on my PC but as you say these kinds of problems can be hard to track down. I was hoping that someone on the Roon forum might tell me that there are log files I can check to see what is going on but oh well!

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Jgw911 - 20-Jul-2017

This was the Roon forum thread by the way: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/devialet-stutters-and-then-stops/28238

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - baddog - 21-Jul-2017

@Jgw911 -

So here is my theory on what is going on. When you first import your music library into Roon, it is going to be busy collecting all the meta data for the library as well as doing background music analysis. I do not know how large the music library is on your NAS, but mine is ~ 31,000 tracks.

In addition for your Windows 10 PC, I don't know how much memory is on it, whether the HD that Roon is installed on is a HD or SSD drive, and if you are running other applications as Roon.

Regardless, if you have a sizable (intentionally vague I know) library on your NAS, and assuming in this instance you have the NAS, your Devialet, and the Windows 10 PC all connected via ethernet to your router, then depending on the type of PC you have Roon running on and what else might be going on with the system, it may take Roon a day or more to complete running background analysis on your library.

Now within Roon you can configure how quickly or slower this analysis takes, you can have it set to "throttle" in which can after the initial import of all your music library it should not cause pauses, stops, drop outs etc...

If however you have it set to some other setting it may be disrupting playback.

If you can fill in some of the blanks in terms of the size of your music library, and what type of PC you have it running on, I think we can assist you. If, of course, you are still interested.

Lastly if you have both Devialet AIR installed on your Windows PC and the latest version of Roon with AIR support this can cause conflicts depending on how you have "disabled" the native Devialet AIR application. Just to verify, when you setup Roon with the Devialet, did the Devialet show up in the "Networked" section of Audio?

Oh, and yes Roon has log files. And Roon uses them to troubleshoot issues. So if you did reach out to them and ask if they could review your log files, I am fairly confident you will find them accommodating.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Confused - 21-Jul-2017

Jgw911 - I think baddog makes some excellent points in his posts above. I know how incredibly frustrating it can be when you have network or computer related issues, everything should work, but it does not and you cannot see why, it can drive you crazy! For me I like to look through things as logically as possible and try to 'information gather', with a good approach to change one aspect of the set-up and see how that influences the system. In your case you have the PC, NAS, network and Devialet. Picking up on what baddog has suggested I would propose that you load a small amount of music locally on the hard drive of your PC, maybe just a couple of hours worth. In Roon settings, 'storage' you can then disable everything except the local folder containing the two hours of locally stored tracks. My idea is that this then takes the NAS out of the system completely, not as a permanent solution to the issue, but purely as an experiment to isolate the issue. I think this should be relatively easy to do and well worth it for the information gathered. You can then try Roon AIR for a couple of hours simply using Roon Core and the locally stored music on the PC. If this works as it should, then at least you can see that network issues between the PC and NAS, or the NAS itself are at play, indeed, it may well indicate baddog's theory is correct. If the intermittent playback behaviour remains, then clearly it has nothing to do with the performance of the NAS, more likely to be an issue with other software or something on your PC, and you yourself have speculated, or network between the router and Devialet. Either way, it will be one step towards isolating the culprit. Anyway, if you have the time I think this might be giving a go, and whatever the outcome, you will at least have a bit more information to post here, between us we will crack this one eventually!

@Confused - I like the approach you outlined as it allows one to localize/isolate issues, and narrow down wherein the issue might lie.

As an aside, I will note that when I used a Windows 10 Pro NUC with 8GB of memory and a M.2 drive for the OS, I did a lot of system optimization on the Windows 10 Pro machine to ensure best performance. And yes I understand not everyone wants to go to that level of tweaking nor run their system exclusively for music.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Sylvain27 - 21-Jul-2017

(20-Jul-2017, 09:05)Alec_eiffel Wrote: Hi Sylvain,
I actually followed these guidelines when setting up my Intel NUC Windows 10 Jriver HTPC+Roon audio server.
D200 is wired through a 15€ TP-LInk TL-SG105 switch. 
With 100ms latency and tens of hours of listening, I never faced any cracks or noise or dropouts, even with DSD64 or 24bits/192Khz streams.

Hello Alec,
I did some tests, tried different things (there are many options, I have a french version of Windows 10 and it is not always easy to find explanations).
It seems I have more troubles if I disable flow control. Other suggestions are good I think. I'm waiting for a technical answer from Roon.
  Best regards,
Sylvain

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Jgw911 - 21-Jul-2017

Thanks both. My PC is not very up-to-date - a dual core Athlon processor 2500 MHZ, 8GB RAM. hard disk is an HDD not SSD with 500GB (200 GB free). My NAS is a Synology DS213j with 2X2TB disks. My music collection is quite small - around 400 albums, because I mainly use Tidal these days and don't buy much music.

I'll give Roon another go and try the step by step approach with small amount of music on the local PC disk as suggested. Will try to do that over the weekend and then report back...