Devialet Chat
Roon supports Devialet AIR - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Roon supports Devialet AIR (/Thread-Roon-supports-Devialet-AIR)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Jgw911 - 21-Jul-2017

Ok now had a chance to try this. Set up a new folder on my PC hard disk containing just one album. Set this as the Roon folder and disabled all others. Set the analysis setting to throttled. Played the album. At default buffer setting it played for about 30 seconds then crackled and stopped. At 1000ms it plays a whole track before crackling and stopping. Seems that the bigger the buffer the longer it lasts. Needs to be at 3000ms to get through a whole album.

So the behaviour is exactly the same whether the tracks are on the local drive, NAS or indeed played from Tidal...

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Hifi_swlon - 21-Jul-2017

(21-Jul-2017, 12:49)Jgw911 Wrote: Ok now had a chance to try this. Set up a new folder on my PC hard disk containing just one album. Set this as the Roon folder and disabled all others. Set the analysis setting to throttled. Played the album. At default buffer setting it played for about 30 seconds then crackled and stopped. At 1000ms it plays a whole track before crackling and stopping. Seems that the bigger the buffer the longer it lasts. Needs to be at 3000ms to get through a whole album.

So the behaviour is exactly the same whether the tracks are on the local drive, NAS or indeed played from Tidal...

Do you have another computer you can try temporarily? Even borrow a friends?

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Jgw911 - 21-Jul-2017

Do you have another computer you can try temporarily? Even borrow a friends?
[/quote]

Errm... have a pretty elderly laptop I could try I guess. Haven't used it for a long time so will see if it boots up...

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Sylvain27 - 24-Jul-2017

Hello,
I have discovered I have a dropout or noise playing a 192 kHz 24 bit album 2, 3 or 4 minutes after beginning of play (with a short buffer) exactly when RoonAppliance memory decreases (for instance from 1000 Mb to 750 Mb). After starting Roon, if I wait a little, there is a first decrease of the memory used by RoonAppliance (from 1200 Mb to 1000 Mb). The second decrease only occurs after music is played. If I don't stop Roon after that, I have no more dropout or noise, memory used by RoonAppliance always stays about more or less 750 Mb.
  I asked Roon Labs what was doing Roon to "loose" about 250 Mb of memory after play begins. I think it is linked to the library because if it is disconnected, I don't have such an important "loss" of memory and have no noise or dropout.
  Best regards,
Sylvain

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Sylvain27 - 26-Jul-2017

(17-Jul-2017, 05:20)Saunter Wrote: I also use Fidelizer to open Roon in either case.
Hello,
if you're using integrated Roon Air, you can run Roon Core with Windows 10 safe mode with networking. Roon Air does not need audio services to work (Windows safe mode has no audio, so other solutions as Jplay, etc. won't work in safe mode).
I think Windows 10 safe mode has less services opened than "normal" Windows 10 with Fidelizer or other services reducer.
Has anyone else tried Roon with Windows 10 safe mode?
  Best regards,
Sylvain

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - AaronG - 27-Jul-2017

The more I listen, the more I'm impressed.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - jfp - 23-Aug-2017

I just discovered the AIR/ROON combo a few days ago. Devialet did not send me any 3 months trial.
In the past I tried Roon and thought it was a very convenient way to scroll your musical library. But keeping the Mac ON was not the right choice. So I use a Chromecast which provides a great stream for 39 euros. Only issue is the non gapless.
I have read that Roon server requires a very expensive Qnap Nas. So the Mac being switched on would be still an issue with ROON/AIR and Roon is 500$.

I do not understand how Roon+Air can be so musical ? or at least more musical than AIR 3 ?
Second question is why do not use a RASPBERRY Pi 3 + ALLO DIGIONE which costs about 150 euros only ? any test made on the result ?

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - petrik - 23-Aug-2017

(23-Aug-2017, 17:35)jfp Wrote: I just discovered the AIR/ROON combo a few days ago. Devialet did not send me any 3 months trial.
In the past I tried Roon and thought it was a very convenient way to scroll your musical library. But keeping the Mac ON was not the right choice. So I use a Chromecast which provides a great stream for 39 euros. Only issue is the non gapless.
I have read that Roon server requires a very expensive Qnap Nas. So the Mac being switched on would be still an issue with ROON/AIR and Roon is 500$.

I do not understand how Roon+Air can be so musical ? or at least more musical than AIR 3 ?
Second question is why do not use a RASPBERRY Pi 3 + ALLO DIGIONE which costs about 150 euros only ? any test made on the result ?

Perhaps you could ask from Devialet support if they could give you that free 3 months trial?

I'm not sure did I understand all your questions correctly but if you want to use Roon you have to run Roon Server on some computer. This can be a Mac, a windows computer, or Qnap for example. There are many alternative solutions for it. It doesn't need to be a very expensive computer but it needs to meet the minimum Roon requirements:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_What_are_the_minimum_requirements%3F

You can stream directly from the Roon Server to the Devialet without needing any other hifi-equipment.

About Raspberry Pi 3 + Allo. You cannot run Roon Server on it but you can use it as a Roon endpoint. Roon Server -> Raspberry Pi 3 / Allo -> Devialet. 

I think the question is more like that does the Raspberry Pi 3+ Allo give a better sound quality than streaming directly from Roon to the Devialet. I have no idea about this! Smile

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Hifi_swlon - 23-Aug-2017

(23-Aug-2017, 18:04)petrik Wrote: I think the question is more like that does the Raspberry Pi 3+ Allo give a better sound quality than streaming directly from Roon to the Devialet. I have no idea about this! Smile

In my experience and in my setup, they are identical in SQ terms. I think the digiOne is a great piece of kit. Amazing actually for the price.

I use it because I need to group the Devialet with another RAAT zone, and that isn't possible using their built-in AIR. It is possible using the AIR driver, but it's a fudge and the sync isn't perfect due to the variable latency of the driver/CoreAudio (and of course you're using Devialet's AIR).

It makes no sense to buy an expensive NAS to run Roon Core. Get a NUC or a used Mac or PC that you can leave on all the time and doesn't use much power. Unless you're upsampling or have many zones, you don't need much CPU power.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - jfp - 25-Aug-2017

I did not notice any difference between CCA vs AIR vs Moon Mind 180 streamer I had before.
So question is : if a RPI3 + Allo digione is as good as Roon/Air or better I could buy one and if it is better than CCA.