Devialet Chat
Roon supports Devialet AIR - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Roon supports Devialet AIR (/Thread-Roon-supports-Devialet-AIR)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Saunter - 13-Sep-2018

Thanks for the responses so far..

What i mean is that i am certain the 400 and the speakers i have are capable of much better sound since i have heard a 200 with the same speakers sounding much better. Not just a little but a lot..

I also mean that the laptop with fidelizer sounded better. My wife challenged me on why i spent the money on the NUC the first time she used it saying it sounded worse than before as well.

I really thought i would be done with the NUC but if i can't enjoy what i am hearing then i guess not.

James

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Pim - 13-Sep-2018

@Saunter My experience is that using a 0.8m long curious USB cable sounded better rounded than 20m of generic Cat.5 cable. The NUC should really only be the server so maybe you could try to set the laptop up as an end point? At least it will give you some reference to what's wrong.

If it's not the source (from reading your post it is) you could play with speaker placement. Putting them a bit closer together will make them sound warmer. I'm still convinced good speaker placement in a good room beats any difference in source / cables etc.

If you have Lenehan speakers I assume you're in Australia? If you're close to Northern NSW I'm happy to swap listening seats with you. You never know what we both might learn.

Cheers,

Pim

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Vivialet - 13-Sep-2018

if the difference to a similar setup is soo big then I doubt that this is related to the source alone. I'm pretty sure it is a problem of the room and/or speaker placement. Also the speaker cable and power cables can make a much bigger difference than optimizing the source.
The basic sound balance has to be good before it makes sense to play around with the source. Try the hunecke.de calculator to optimize the speaker placement.

Roon supports Devialet AIR - Waiski - 13-Sep-2018

I would update all Devialet softwares and configurations. Then restart all equipments. Then listen, did it change the sound?

I have couple of times noticed mistake on sw or configuration. Those were mainly confusing because it was hard to understand what is wrong. The sound was odd.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - petrik - 13-Sep-2018

There may also be a bug in the latest FW that causes sound being really odd at some times. This issue was supposed to be fixed in the latest FW, but it's still happening sometimes. Simply rebooting the Devialet solves this.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Saunter - 14-Sep-2018

I have been through the room speaker placement games before and thought i had them just right.

The NUC is ROON Core only.

I haven't changed the firmware for some time (over a year) so not even sure how many how many firmware updates i have missed.

The power cables are American Triode digital. When i first introduced them to the system they did make a small but rather nice difference.
Speaker cables are Neotech NES 3001 which so far have been the best i have had in the set up and i have compared to a lot.

The only thing i can put it down to is source related but i will spend some time on Sunday messing about with other things and the firmware.
I do have other speaker cables to try.

I will have a look at the calculator and see what that tells me..

Pim i am in Australia but a little bit far for a listening session... i am in Perth but thanks for the offer..

I may see if i can get a second hand Curious cable from Stereonet and give it a whirl.

I notice that so far no one has said anything about a power supply like Teddy Pardo or SBooster.
Is that because those things won't do anything ? If so i a happy with that since i don't want to just throw more money at it even if it is a little.

Thanks a lot.
James

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - baddog - 14-Sep-2018

So I have an Intel NUC - connected via ethernet to a cheap $29 switch which in turn both connects to router and to the Devialet 440 Pro, previously a 400.

Standard in wall Cat5e ethernet cables, and Blue Jean CAT 6 cables for the final few feet to Devialet.

No issues with sound quality. That being said, your setup/room is different than mine. So is the only change in your setup moving from your laptop as a Roon Core to a NUC as a Roon Core? At which point you experienced a degradation in sound quality? Assume you are NOT using Devialet AIR between NUC and Devialet. Did you install Roon Rock on the NUC? That is what I am using.

Let us know.

(14-Sep-2018, 01:35)baddog Wrote: So I have an Intel NUC - connected via ethernet to a cheap $29 switch which in turn both connects to router and to the Devialet 440 Pro, previously a 400.

Standard in wall Cat5e ethernet cables, and Blue Jean CAT 6 cables for the final few feet to Devialet.

No issues with sound quality. That being said, your setup/room is different than mine. So is the only change in your setup moving from your laptop as a Roon Core to a NUC as a Roon Core? At which point you experienced a degradation in sound quality? Assume you are NOT using Devialet AIR between NUC and Devialet. Did you install Roon Rock on the NUC? That is what I am using.

Let us know.

Oops.. sorry about that..

Yes i installed Roon Rock on the NUC.

Yes, the only recent change is going from laptop to NUC..

I will have a play on Sunday and see if anything makes a difference..

Thanks for the replies.

RE: Roon supports Devialet AIR - Pim - 14-Sep-2018

(14-Sep-2018, 01:27)Saunter Wrote: Pim i am in Australia but a little bit far for a listening session... i am in Perth but thanks for the offer..

I may see if i can get a second hand Curious cable from Stereonet and give it a whirl.

I'm not convinced it's the type of cable that made the difference. I'm almost sure it's just the USB connection. Try a printer cable first. You never know.