Devialet Chat
Devialet 130 Pro reviewed by SoundStage Hi-Fi May 2017 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet Reviews (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Reviews)
+--- Thread: Devialet 130 Pro reviewed by SoundStage Hi-Fi May 2017 (/Thread-Devialet-130-Pro-reviewed-by-SoundStage-Hi-Fi-May-2017)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Devialet 130 Pro reviewed by SoundStage Hi-Fi May 2017 - mdconnelly - 24-May-2017

I'm been in this hobby for 40 years.  In my ever-most humble opinion, I've found that the better my system is, the bigger differential I find between good recordings and poor recordings.   Since having upgraded from a Dev 200 last year to a Dev 440 Pro early this year, I have to say that I find myself avoiding poor recordings more and more.   

If my highly-resolving system can more easily convey such differences, I find that a very positive attribute.   BUT (and I struggle with this), there's a lot of music I use to love that I have a tough time listening to now on the big rig.  But hey, it still sounds great in the car.

Is it possible that a great system actually changes how we enjoy music?   I suspect it does.

RE: Devialet 130 Pro reviewed by SoundStage Hi-Fi May 2017 - Axel - 24-May-2017

(24-May-2017, 00:31)mdconnelly Wrote: I'm been in this hobby for 40 years.  In my ever-most humble opinion, I've found that the better my system is, the bigger differential I find between good recordings and poor recordings.   Since having upgraded from a Dev 200 last year to a Dev 440 Pro early this year, I have to say that I find myself avoiding poor recordings more and more.   

If my highly-resolving system can more easily convey such differences, I find that a very positive attribute.   BUT (and I struggle with this), there's a lot of music I use to love that I have a tough time listening to now on the big rig.  But hey, it still sounds great in the car.

Is it possible that a great system actually changes how we enjoy music?   I suspect it does.

Totally agree with you. Since downloading various hi-res tracks, I've only played about five CDs, even though they do sound much better than with my old rig. I do however, listen to the radio more than I used to. Even a low bitrate stream from the likes of Radio Paradise sounds fantastic with the Mutec in the chain and the upsampling that the Devialet carries out.

RE: Devialet 130 Pro reviewed by SoundStage Hi-Fi May 2017 - AaronG - 24-May-2017

(24-May-2017, 00:31)mdconnelly Wrote: BUT (and I struggle with this), there's a lot of music I use to love that I have a tough time listening to now on the big rig.  But hey, it still sounds great in the car.

There's a lot of music that is mastered for the car! When I upgraded my system I realized that a recording that sounds truly magical in the car -- Lonely & Blue: The Deepest Soul of Otis -- does not sound magical on a less limited high resolving system. The same tracks on Otis Redding King of Soul in 96/24 (and beautifully remastered) are far less engaging in the car and magical at home. ("Amen" from the latter is just incredible on the Grimm or the Devialet).