Devialet Chat
PMC Speakers Owner Thread - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Speakers (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Speakers)
+--- Thread: PMC Speakers Owner Thread (/Thread-PMC-Speakers-Owner-Thread)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

PMC Speakers Owner Thread - apichetk - 26-May-2017

Hi everyone - I wonder if there are any PMC owners out there.  I'm thinking that we can share our setups here to benefit other fellow PMC owners and also those who are considering PMC speakers.

Mine is a pair of Twenty5.26.  My full setup is in my signature.   Smile

RE: PMC Speakers Owner Thread - Axel - 26-May-2017

I'll be in the market for a new pair of speakers soon. I've tried B&W 804 D3s, but thought they'd be a sideways move from my present speakers. Also on my list are Sonus Faber Olympica 2 and Focal Sopra 2. Did you try any of these before you upgraded? If so, what were your thoughts? What did you have before the PMCs? 
Do they perform well at low listening levels?

Alex.

RE: PMC Speakers Owner Thread - apichetk - 26-May-2017

Sure, Alex.

Low listening Level: I think the Twenty5.26 performs well, but only if I drive them with high-powered amps. The sound quality, when listening at the low volume, is much better when I pair them with the 800 but not with the 200. Maybe it's my personal preference, I like to listen to them slightly louder for certain genres of music.

I have only tried the Olympica 2 and Sopra 2, but not 804 D3. This will be from my memory as I didn't have a chance to try them all in one place.
Sopra 2 driven by the 800 in a well-treated room: I've found the 25.26 to be more neutral while the Sopra 2 is sweeter (warmer?) on female vocal. The bass on the 25.26 is tighter probably due to the transmission-line design. Soundstage width and depth are similar. I can happily live with either of them.

Olympica 2 driven by McIntosh integrated amp: Compared to the 25.26, they sound more relaxing. I didn't get a chance to use my own test tracks though. Their sonic quality is closer to the Sopra 2 than the PMC. The room I was in when I listened to the Olympica 2 was much bigger so I felt that their soundstage was wider. Their appearance is the most gorgeous.

RE: PMC Speakers Owner Thread - Axel - 26-May-2017

(26-May-2017, 04:33)apichetk Wrote: Sure, Alex.  

Low listening Level: I think the Twenty5.26 performs well, but only if I drive them with high-powered amps.  The sound quality, when listening at the low volume, is much better when I pair them with the 800 but not with the 200.  Maybe it's my personal preference, I like to listen to them slightly louder for certain genres of music.

I have only tried the Olympica 2 and Sopra 2, but not 804 D3.  This will be from my memory as I didn't have a chance to try them all in one place.
Sopra 2 driven by the 800 in a well-treated room: I've found the 25.26 to be more neutral while the Sopra 2 is sweeter (warmer?) on female vocal.  The bass on the 25.26 is tighter probably due to the transmission-line design.  Soundstage width and depth are similar.  I can happily live with either of them.  

Olympica 2 driven by McIntosh integrated amp: Compared to the 25.26, they sound more relaxing.  I didn't get a chance to use my own test tracks though.  Their sonic quality is closer to the Sopra 2 than the PMC.  The room I was in when I listened to the Olympica 2 was much bigger so I felt that their soundstage was wider.  Their appearance is the most gorgeous.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply!

I'll put th PMCs on my audition list.

RE: PMC Speakers Owner Thread - Fragoulisnaval - 26-May-2017

PMC Twenty26 driven by a D200 for about three years now. I am thinking of upgrading to D400 within this year

Στάλθηκε από το ALE-L21 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

RE: PMC Speakers Owner Thread - winiar560 - 26-May-2017

PMC OB1i driven by d200 here.

RE: PMC Speakers Owner Thread - apichetk - 27-May-2017

(26-May-2017, 08:41)Fragoulisnaval Wrote: PMC Twenty26  driven by a D200 for about three years now. I am thinking of upgrading to D400 within this year

I've found my PMC benefit from more power.

RE: PMC Speakers Owner Thread - wiresandmore - 28-May-2017

(26-May-2017, 08:41)Fragoulisnaval Wrote: PMC Twenty26  driven by a D200 for about three years now. I am thinking of upgrading to D400 within this year

You might not want to hear this  Smile

But I found going to D400 with the 26's was a big step forward, the temperature on the single amp was heading to very high levels (55C+) and dropped a lot with the dual mono option. I think the 26's are a tricky load with low impedence. 

Now on D440 and better still.

RE: PMC Speakers Owner Thread - Fragoulisnaval - 28-May-2017

You might not want to hear this  Smile

But I found going to D400 with the 26's was a big step forward, the temperature on the single amp was heading to very high levels (55C+) and dropped a lot with the dual mono option. I think the 26's are a tricky load with low impedence. 

Now on D440 and better still.
[/quote]

Yes, the 26s are.pretty cumbersome a load for many amplifiers. I am on athe saving as mentioned earlier and until that time cpmes, maybe the new streamer board will come up.

However, I am more interested and curious in the new OS. If the latter turns out well, maybe I will upgrade to 220 instead od 400.

Time will tell I believe...

RE: PMC Speakers Owner Thread - Hifi_swlon - 28-May-2017

Fact 8's here.

I wasn't that happy with the 200/fact combo - it always felt a bit underwhelming to be honest.
Ok my room measures horribly but even with room correction DSP it was a bit lacking in bass attack and treble finesse in particular. I put a lot of that down to the 200.

The 250Pro is significantly better (and even more so now I've got basic Room Correction back), but it's made me wonder how much better they would be with more power - say a 440 or 1000. On paper they are fairly sensitive and don't need much power (I don't need much cranking of the volume to go loud) but the 200-250pro upgrade makes me think they'd benefit from more. Certainly when PMC discuss them, they recommend getting the higher power Bryston amps.

I think the facts look beautiful but I want something with more bass slam and a more forgiving treble. I also think they are designed for the higher end source, amps and room - and do very little to help you get an enjoyable sound. No doubt this is by design - they're meant to deliver what they're given - but I'd opt for something easier going next time. They've taken a while (over a year!) to dial in position-wise too, and I don't think they're as easy to place as PMC make out.

I've only done home demos on a couple of other things, and a few more in stores, but stuck with them for the time being to save money and partly because so many speakers look damn ugly in my opinion. The PMCs don't exactly disappear in my lounge, but they're not an eyesore either. Aesthetically what I'd really like is a Wilson Sabrina in white, but at about a third of the cost - so far that hasn't materialised. When it does I'll probably change!

Ironically I probably would have changed to Phantoms, but I couldn't stand the Spark software and my shop demo wasnt glitch free. Also at the time I was enraged with Devialet (I've since calmed as AIR at least mostly works now after a two year wait) so that helped them lose the sale. If they ever become RoonReady I'd do another demo.