Devialet Chat
ROON ROCK now available - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: ROON ROCK now available (/Thread-ROON-ROCK-now-available)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

ROON ROCK now available - Wdw - 26-May-2017

Download on their site

http://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK_Install_Guide

Now, we must wait for the rumoured announcement told to be coming in a couple of weeks telling us of the ROON support for an AIR like function.

RE: ROON ROCK now available - Wdw - 28-May-2017

(26-May-2017, 19:46)Wdw Wrote: Download on their site

http://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK_Install_Guide

Now, we must wait for the rumoured announcement told to be coming in a couple of weeks telling us of the ROON support for an AIR like function.

not the best form to reply to one's post but thought this topic would generate some passionate discussion....oh, well!  
Rumour mill has it that we are in for some good things from the newly revealed ROON/Devialet axis...!

RE: ROON ROCK now available - petrik - 28-May-2017

Anyone planning to install ROCK?

I haven't decided yet. I would like to install it on an i7 NUC but sadly there doesn't seem to be any fanless cases for it. Nucleus therefore seems to be an interesting alternative.

ROON ROCK now available - Chris Marshall - 28-May-2017

Installed on a 5th gen i5 nuc on Friday but went on holiday yesterday so no time to use it. The install went fine once I made sense of the instructions to get ffmpeg to resolve the missing codecs.

Hoping for the integration news before I return home so I can have a one box Roon/AIR solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: ROON ROCK now available - mdconnelly - 28-May-2017

I'm quite interested but will sit on the sidelines for a bit longer until we find out exactly what Roon and Devialet have planned. While I love the concept of what Roon has done with ROCK, RoonOS and the Nucleus, I'm not yet convinced there's any big benefit for me to move to it. Or maybe not yet.

I'm currently using Roon Server on an i7 Win10 PC that I leave running 24x7. It also runs Fidelizer and Devialet AIR and allows me to use it for other purposes if/when I want to. It all just works (well, most of the time) so I'm wondering why I would want to invest in a NUC to run RoonOS.

Running RoonOS on a NUC will certainly run more efficiently and likely more dependably. But, is that sufficient justification? Will it improve sound quality? Will it make Roon far more responsive? The big question - will it work better with my Dev Expert than what I currently have?

We'll learn soon enough.

RE: ROON ROCK now available - Hifi_swlon - 28-May-2017

I'm the same. It's really interesting but Ive got a perfectly decent Mac mini which I bought used and don't have any performance issues with. It can also be repurposed and run anything else I need - I use it for cd ripping and iTunes compatibility (as much as possible) iOS devices. That said I rarely bother to copy onto my iOS any more just due to laziness. But cd ripping is a must so I wouldn't want two machines just to cover that.

Of course if I ran into issues with the Mac setup in the future I'd certainly consider it. First reposts seem to be that it's really snappy, but with my library size the macs snappy enough for me.

I'm also trying not to be an early adopter too much these days. I'm more a version 2 kind of guy.

RE: ROON ROCK now available - petrik - 28-May-2017

(28-May-2017, 14:08)mdconnelly Wrote: I'm quite interested but will sit on the sidelines for a bit longer until we find out exactly what Roon and Devialet have planned.   While I love the concept of what Roon has done with ROCK, RoonOS and the Nucleus, I'm not yet convinced there's any big benefit for me to move to it.  Or maybe not yet.

I'm currently using Roon Server on an i7 Win10 PC that I leave running 24x7.  It also runs Fidelizer and Devialet AIR and allows me to use it for other purposes if/when I want to.    It all just works (well, most of the time) so I'm wondering why I would want to invest in a NUC to run RoonOS.  

Running RoonOS on a NUC will certainly run more efficiently and likely more dependably.  But, is that sufficient justification?   Will it improve sound quality?   Will it make Roon far more responsive?   The big question - will it work better with my Dev Expert than what I currently have?  

We'll learn soon enough.

Perhaps you wouldn't get so much benefits from ROCK/Nucleus if everything is already working fine for you. I probably wouldn't change anything if you are already happy what you got today.

Interesting thing is that I am also running Roon Server on an i7 Win10 PC but I'm having lots of problems (you know, crackles every now and then, bluescreen crashes 1-10 times a day, channels getting randomly muted for a while etc). I am having some hopes that Devialet+Roon integration, whatever it will be, will work better and more reliably.

It would be a great bonus if ROCK/Nucleus would also improve sound quality. If that's the case, then that could be one big motivation to change from Windows to ROCK/Nucleus.

RE: ROON ROCK now available - baddog - 29-May-2017

Well I am an endless tinkerer. So though I am stable with Windows 10 Pro running Roonserver headless on my Intel NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH, I figured why not. So got a second M.2 SSD to support ROCK, pulled out my Windows 10 Pro M.2 and 2 TB SSD drive and got it installed, up and running this weekend. Wasn't too hard to get up & running.

RE: ROON ROCK now available - petrik - 29-May-2017

(29-May-2017, 02:07)baddog Wrote: Well I am an endless tinkerer. So though I am stable with Windows 10 Pro running Roonserver headless on my Intel NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH, I figured why not. So got a second M.2 SSD to support ROCK, pulled out my Windows 10 Pro M.2 and 2 TB SSD drive and got it installed, up and running this weekend. Wasn't too hard to get up & running.

Nice! Did you notice any differences in sound quality? Smile

RE: ROON ROCK now available - baddog - 29-May-2017

Well just an experiment at this point, and not apples to apples as I cannot run AIR with it, as I do on the Windows 10 Pro instance.

Just trying to learn the ropes at this point in time.