Devialet Chat
Tapping on volume knob to pause/play music - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Suggestions For Improvements (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Suggestions-For-Improvements)
+--- Thread: Tapping on volume knob to pause/play music (/Thread-Tapping-on-volume-knob-to-pause-play-music)

Pages: 1 2

Tapping on volume knob to pause/play music - mtvanc - 16-Jun-2017

Right now, it just does volume up/down.  It would be great to be able to tap to pause/play music

RE: Tapping on volume knob to pause/play music - Jayyyy - 19-Sep-2017

(16-Jun-2017, 23:33)mtvanc Wrote: Right now, it just does volume up/down.  It would be great to be able to tap to pause/play music

I'm thinking about creating a prototype with a ring dial for volume and touch screen showing the current song, volume amount, prev/next song and of course, play/pause.

If there's any interest I'll consider it more seriously.

RE: Tapping on volume knob to pause/play music - Axel - 20-Sep-2017

Sorry, are we talking about Phantom or Pro here?
I'd be interested in a better remote for the Pro, and I'm sure others would be too.

RE: Tapping on volume knob to pause/play music - ogs - 20-Sep-2017

(20-Sep-2017, 01:49)Axel Wrote: Sorry, are we talking about Phantom or Pro here?
I'd be interested in a better remote for the Pro, and I'm sure others would be too.

Yes, Phantom or Pro?

Q for OP mtvanc: and if I use Roon as player, how would pause/play commands reach Roon core?

RE: Tapping on volume knob to pause/play music - rchinn - 20-Sep-2017

I am interested in a better remote for Pro.

A small display that can show source when switching. Anything else is a bonus!

RE: Tapping on volume knob to pause/play music - littlemac - 27-Jun-2018

I would buy one in a heartbeat.

RE: Tapping on volume knob to pause/play music - Dan - 28-Jun-2018

I would buy one too if it simply mimicked the dial on the Dev - mostly would use it for volume.

RE: Tapping on volume knob to pause/play music - f1eng - 28-Jun-2018

I suggested a new remote with a screen duplicating the screen on the amp when I bought my D-Premier 5 or 6 years ago. Devialet looked into it and said one big problem would be battery life, I suppose they could make it rechargeable and have a charging ststion. It would be a complete mechanical redesign too, so that the knob became a ring around a fixed screen involving a completely different bearing arrangement.
Producing a tap to pause would require at least one more sensor in the remote too, of course.
I would be glad of an updated remote but it is still my favourite single feature of the Devialet amp. I HATE up/down buttons for volume control.

RE: Tapping on volume knob to pause/play music - Hifi_swlon - 28-Jun-2018

(28-Jun-2018, 16:02)f1eng Wrote: It would be a complete mechanical redesign too, so that the knob became a ring around a fixed screen involving a completely different bearing arrangement.

I would be glad of an updated remote but it is still my favourite single feature of the Devialet amp. I HATE up/down buttons for volume control.
The 120/200/400 remotes already rotate around fixed plate. Took me a while to get used to the logo rotating when I upgraded to the 250 design. Both are nice in different ways, but Devialet definitely have the mechanics in place. I guess they could have kept it simple (or old school if you like) with a lcd display. I have a few things with those and the battery lasts forever. Depends how much info people want I guess.

I love the remote too. Never had an issue with a lack of screen because mines wall mounted but an input display could be useful. Volume wise I’m kind of not bothered knowing the exact setting and just do it by ear. For tone controls when I used them I really felt a screen would have made the experience better.

Maybe biggest fear is they dump the iOS remote for some crappy slider type design. It’s far from a perfect app but at least it reflects the expert style and had good intention.

More generally, I’m surprised by the lack of beautiful, programmable, feature-packed third party remotes. I thought about one to cover tv l, dvd, cable box and stereo, but seems there’s Logitech (ugly and horrible) or Kickstarter (cool but seemingly never coming to fruition) and nothing in between.

RE: Tapping on volume knob to pause/play music - thumb5 - 28-Jun-2018

(28-Jun-2018, 18:33)Hifi_swlon Wrote: More generally, I’m surprised by the lack of beautiful, programmable, feature-packed third party remotes. I thought about one to cover tv l, dvd, cable box and stereo, but seems there’s Logitech (ugly and horrible)  or Kickstarter (cool but seemingly never coming to fruition) and nothing in between.

Heading a bit off-topic, but have you seen the Sevenhugs remote?  It looks promising but doesn't yet support Devialet.  I have one coming soon(-ish), so it will be interesting to see whether it lives up to the marketing...