Devialet Chat
Vinyl rip sounding tinny - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: The Vinyl Thread (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-The-Vinyl-Thread)
+--- Thread: Vinyl rip sounding tinny (/Thread-Vinyl-rip-sounding-tinny)

Pages: 1 2

Vinyl rip sounding tinny - agentsmith - 03-Jul-2017

Just tried ripping a couple of records and the resulting 24/96 ripped files are sounding tinny with low level and no bass.  Amp is D440 Pro

Details:
- Sampling rate 24/96 
- Software  Vinyl Studio
- Amp D440 Pro
- Source Linn Sondek LP12 with Phasemation PP-300 Cartridge with Phasemation Step UP Transformer.

The D440 Pro was upgraded from D400.  Previously, vinyls ripped using the same method sounded exactly like direct playback.  

I think this is the my first vinyl rip after upgrading to D440 Pro so I am not sure if this is related to the new hardware.

Has anyone experienced this before?  I am doing exactly the same steps as before.  I have tried several LPs and the results are the same.  The LP playback sounds fantastic, the ripped files sounds like tin can.

RE: Vinyl rip sounding tinny - thumb5 - 03-Jul-2017

Silly question, but here goes anyway: is the analog input your SUT is connected to configured for phono with RIAA equalisation?

RE: Vinyl rip sounding tinny - agentsmith - 04-Jul-2017

Yes analogue output of SUT is connected to phono configured as MM

It sounding wonderful and normal when played directly and during the recording

RE: Vinyl rip sounding tinny - Soniclife - 04-Jul-2017

(04-Jul-2017, 00:55)agentsmith Wrote: Yes analogue output of SUT is connected to phono configured as MM

Sounds like a bug.

If you use RAM to select flat when playing does it sound like the rip?

RE: Vinyl rip sounding tinny - thumb5 - 04-Jul-2017

(04-Jul-2017, 00:55)agentsmith Wrote: Yes analogue output of SUT is connected to phono configured as MM

Sorry, I didn't read your original post carefully enough.

If it sounds OK using VinylStudio's monitoring as you record it, maybe it's a problem in VS's filtering or output encoding (although you said no changes to your procedure)?  Might be worth having a chat with Paul at AlpineSoft.

(04-Jul-2017, 08:36)Soniclife Wrote:

Sounds like a bug.

If you use RAM to select flat when playing does it sound like the rip?

Yes it does sound like a bug or a misconfiguration.

No, the sound is so thin and tinny that it the rip definitely broken.

(04-Jul-2017, 10:21)thumb5 Wrote:

If it sounds OK using VinylStudio's monitoring as you record it, maybe it's a problem in VS's filtering or output encoding (although you said no changes to your procedure)?  Might be worth having a chat with Paul at AlpineSoft.

Yes monitoring sounds robust like the regular playback.  I already posted a question to Alpinesoft.  I think they will give me good advice.

RE: Vinyl rip sounding tinny - agentsmith - 05-Jul-2017

(04-Jul-2017, 13:00)agentsmith Wrote:
(04-Jul-2017, 10:21)thumb5 Wrote:

Yes monitoring sounds robust like the regular playback.  I already posted a question to Alpinesoft.  I think they will give me good advice.
I stand corrected, there is no way for me to use Vinylstudio's monitoring because as I play Devialet has to be set to the Phono input, so technically it is impossible to monitor via VinylStudio, unless I use the Mac's built in output I guess.

RE: Vinyl rip sounding tinny - agentsmith - 05-Jul-2017

I sort of found out what the problem is but I do not know why.

I only had the problem with the thin sounding rip when I use an external step up transformer and connect to the Devialet's MM phono section.

When I connect the phono cable direct to the Devialet's MC section the rip sounds fine.

However, in both cases the level is much lower than playing via the turntable, i.e. when I play back both files, I had to turn the volume way up.

Any idea why that would be? The step up transformer sounds perfect if I play via the TT.

RE: Vinyl rip sounding tinny - thumb5 - 05-Jul-2017

(05-Jul-2017, 16:35)agentsmith Wrote: I stand corrected, there is no way for me to use Vinylstudio's monitoring because as I play Devialet has to be set to the Phono input, so technically it is impossible to monitor via VinylStudio, unless I use the Mac's built in output I guess.

That's how I do it - headphones connected to the Mac are usually good enough to tell you whether it's recording properly.