Devialet Chat
Wish list for the new streamer board / Roon - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Suggestions For Improvements (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Suggestions-For-Improvements)
+--- Thread: Wish list for the new streamer board / Roon (/Thread-Wish-list-for-the-new-streamer-board-Roon)

Pages: 1 2

Wish list for the new streamer board / Roon - agentsmith - 17-Jul-2017

At risk of making the streamer board even more crowded.  I am opening a thread of what would make the Devialet more perfect with the new "Core Intinity" or DevialetOS.

Please feel free to comment/add

The Devialet can be made more perfect by fixing a lot of the current usability limitations.  Also, with the new Roon integration, I see great potential to make both products irresistible to anyone interested in high end computer base audio.

Problem 1: Configuration via SD card only: With Ethernet access, it should be an easy fix to allow configuration via the network.  They should also include telemetry data of the unit in real time, including settings and health info like voltage and temperature. Wouldn't you want one page of real time info displayed on your computer or iPad screen, rather than cycling thru the tiny Devialet display?

Problem 2: Inability to see volume or machine status info from the remote control:  Same solution as above.

Problem 3: Configuration via Devialet online portal only:  Right now one has to log in to Devialet to change configuration and then download offline to the SD card.  That is the dumbest thing.  A simple app for Mac, Windoze and iPhone would fix that easily.

Solution 4: Full Roon integration. The latest Roon firmware allows control and display of volume in real time. It should not be rocket science to let Roon configure, control and display all of many of the Devialet features.  That would make Roon the super "Portal" of the Devialet. 

Solution 5: Bundling of Roon as option or "mandatory option".  With the above Roon integration, both Roon and Devialet would sell more units, and Devialet would have a few hundred dollars of added revenue from Roon for every unit they sell.

Solution 6: Ability to play music via USB storage and SD card.  With the above features, most users would have no use for their SD cards and USB port.  Why not use them for quick playback of music"

Solution 7: Ability for Devialet to tap into your unit for debugging via the Internet.

RE: Wish list for the new streamer board / Roon - mdconnelly - 17-Jul-2017

I'm totally with you on 1 - 3 & 7. It will be interesting to see how they align with Devialet's plans.

Those of us that love Roon would love to see Devialet adopt the RoonRAAT protocol for streaming. While that does provide more control from the Roon side, I don't believe RoonRAAT was ever meant to control non-Roon features and functions. My vote here is to have Devialet improve it's remote app to mirror all the functionality of it's physical remote (your Problem 2).

Solution 5: In the recent announcement by Devialet, they did include a link for a 3 month Roon trial. I think they could go one step further and make it a free 1 year license for those that do not yet have Roon (or maybe 50% off either 1st year subscription or lifetime license).

I have mixed feelings about your Solution 6... For Devialet to tap into any attached storage will require software to access it and control playback. Not sure that is Devialet's strength - particularly given how good Roon is at that.

I might add an 8th challenge that I hope is in large part why Devialet is building this board - to enable far more robust functionality into the Expert Pros - perhaps such as room correction. While I love that Roon's functionality is now far more robust, that doesn't help my vinyl playback at all. And strange as it may seem, there are some folks that don't use Roon.

RE: Wish list for the new streamer board / Roon - agentsmith - 17-Jul-2017

(17-Jul-2017, 13:14)mdconnelly Wrote: I might add an 8th challenge that I hope is in large part why Devialet is building this board - to enable far more robust functionality into the Expert Pros - perhaps such as room correction.   While I love that Roon's functionality is now far more robust, that doesn't help my vinyl playback at all.  And strange as it may seem, there are some folks that don't use Roon.

I forgot to add that.  Yes that should be what the "DevialetOS" is all about.

RE: Wish list for the new streamer board / Roon - K4680 - 17-Jul-2017

Hello, the points 1, 2, 3 and 7 meet exactly my ideas. The remaining points will appreciate the Roon affine user, I personally put no value on it! Shy

RE: Wish list for the new streamer board / Roon - baconbrain - 18-Jul-2017

I would like to add a ninth one: Multichannel Support - I would love to integrate 3 Phantoms for a nice 5.1 setup.

RE: Wish list for the new streamer board / Roon - Music or sound - 19-Jul-2017

Add support of Ravenna (or similar) ethernet connection!

RE: Wish list for the new streamer board / Roon - rchinn - 19-Jul-2017

Fixing Problem 3 is the most overdue. Tonight I have moved our TV audio to the Devialet. Felt silly to have to take the SD card out each time and change, then test and reinsert, to get the right volume level of the Optical channel to get it in sync with other sources. Should be able to control all of that from an app.

Would also love Spotify to be able to play with a bit perfect feed as per Roon.

RE: Wish list for the new streamer board / Roon - Confused - 19-Jul-2017

My wish list, here we go.....

HQPlayer NAA compatibility as an end point (I use HQPlayer with Roon)
'Magic Wire' style integration of the new streamer board and other optimisation to maximise sound quality performance.
Word clock or 10 MHz input, to allow use of external super accurate Word clocks or something like the Mutec Ref10

OK, I think all of the above are highly unlikely! But it is my wish list, and all three would make me a very happy chap!

RE: Wish list for the new streamer board / Roon - warpeon - 20-Jul-2017

(17-Jul-2017, 10:25)agentsmith Wrote: At risk of making the streamer board even more crowded.  I am opening a thread of what would make the Devialet more perfect with the new "Core Intinity" or DevialetOS.

Please feel free to comment/add

The Devialet can be made more perfect by fixing a lot of the current usability limitations.  Also, with the new Roon integration, I see great potential to make both products irresistible to anyone interested in high end computer base audio.

Problem 1: Configuration via SD card only: With Ethernet access, it should be an easy fix to allow configuration via the network.  They should also include telemetry data of the unit in real time, including settings and health info like voltage and temperature.  Wouldn't you want one page of real time info displayed on your computer or iPad screen, rather than cycling thru the tiny Devialet display?

Problem 2: Inability to see volume or machine status info from the remote control:  Same solution as above.

Problem 3: Configuration via Devialet online portal only:  Right now one has to log in to Devialet to change configuration and then download offline to the SD card.  That is the dumbest thing.  A simple app for Mac, Windoze and iPhone would fix that easily.

Solution 4: Full Roon integration. The latest Roon firmware allows control and display of volume in real time. It should not be rocket science to let Roon configure, control and display all of many of the Devialet features.  That would make Roon the super "Portal" of the Devialet. 

Solution 5: Bundling of Roon as option or "mandatory option".  With the above Roon integration, both Roon and Devialet would sell more units, and Devialet would have a few hundred dollars of added revenue from Roon for every unit they sell.

Solution 6: Ability to play music via USB storage and SD card.  With the above features, most users would have no use for their SD cards and USB port.  Why not use them for quick playback of music"

Solution 7: Ability for Devialet to tap into your unit for debugging via the Internet.

Great list! May be one more - to make use of the "powerful CPU" it should be integrated with voice control apps (Siri, ok google, Cortana) such that when integrated with phantom for TV/home theater, it can be one-button and everything is on. Am sure some/many members hear complains such as - I don't know how to turn on your hi Fi; you have such expensive hi Fi, but the TV next to it sounds like crap, etc.

RE: Wish list for the new streamer board / Roon - Hifi_swlon - 20-Jul-2017

All I've cared about is RoonReady, sounds like that's on the card so perfect for me.

Provided it sounds as good or better than the existing - and is reliable - I'll be happy.

Everything else is a bonus, but would love:
-Room correction / convolution engine
-direct / realtime configuration via web gui
-an updated iOS remote or replacement that can control everything, or at least more than the current one. Flipping between a few favourite Dsp/room correction presets like the Dirac driver would be great.

All other features are bonuses and I'm sure they'd be handy too