Devialet Chat
Link Mac Mini direct to Devialet Expert via Ethernet - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Support Desk (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Support-Desk)
+--- Thread: Link Mac Mini direct to Devialet Expert via Ethernet (/Thread-Link-Mac-Mini-direct-to-Devialet-Expert-via-Ethernet)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Link Mac Mini direct to Devialet Expert via Ethernet - efranklin - 27-Jul-2017

Dear all, I've read a few posts that seem to indicate it is possible to connect a Mac Mini (operating as a music server) directly to a Devialet Expert via ethernet cable, ie instead of connecting them both to a router. I've not been able to get this right and wonder if someone can explain how to do this - if it's possible?

My mini connects wirelessly to my home network (set up by an Apple Airport Extreme), as does the Dev (but very weakly). Wireless connection between the mini and Dev proved very poor, so I've been using a USB connection. However, I'd like to take advantage of Bitperfect.

Connecting the Dev to the Extreme worked fine - but they are several rooms apart, so cabling is going to be a nightmare.

The mini sits right next to the Dev, so connecting the two via an Ethernet cable without going via the Extreme would be ideal.

The Dev has a fixed IP address (192.168.0.4).

If anyone could help I would be hugely appreciative!

Thanks.

RE: Link Mac Mini direct to Devialet Expert via Ethernet - alandbush - 27-Jul-2017

Baddog wrote some comprehensive notes at the following link.

Mac to Devialet direct Ethernet connection

RE: Link Mac Mini direct to Devialet Expert via Ethernet - efranklin - 27-Jul-2017

Thank you - that was really useful and after following the very clear directions I got it to work ... BUT, only if the WiFi is switched off. I'm willing to bet anyone who knows anything about computer networks would probably say "Well, of course, what did you expect?!", but I didn't expect that.

Is there any way of keeping the Mac Mini connected to my home network wirelessly while it communicates with the Dev over the ethernet cable?

This is kind of crucial for me, since it's a "headless mini" so the only way of controlling it is over the wireless network using a VNC connection. (Less crucially it also needs to connect to download music files, do backups, etc).

Thanks again for any help
Edmund.

RE: Link Mac Mini direct to Devialet Expert via Ethernet - Jean-Marie - 27-Jul-2017

(27-Jul-2017, 17:03)efranklin Wrote: Thank you - that was really useful and after following the very clear directions I got it to work ... BUT, only if the WiFi is switched off. I'm willing to bet anyone who knows anything about computer networks would probably say "Well, of course, what did you expect?!", but I didn't expect that.

Is there any way of keeping the Mac Mini connected to my home network wirelessly while it communicates with the Dev over the ethernet cable?

This is kind of crucial for me, since it's a "headless mini" so the only way of controlling it is over the wireless network using a VNC connection. (Less crucially it also needs to connect to download music files, do backups, etc).

Thanks again for any help
Edmund.

Yes there is a way. 
The easiest for you is probably to go into System Preferences > Sharing control panel
And from there activate internet connection sharing and tell the Mac that you want to share your wifi with Ethernet. 

This way everything should be working at the same time. 

Jean-Marie

RE: Link Mac Mini direct to Devialet Expert via Ethernet - efranklin - 27-Jul-2017

Thank you, Jean-Marie. Unfortunately, even after setting up sharing my wifi with the ethernet on the Mac it does not work unless wifi is off!

Doing the same thing on my MBP (so at least I have a screen and keyboard to work with when wifi is off!) I can get it to work fine over the ethernet cable, provided the wifi is off - and as soon as I switch wifi on the music immediately stops. I can watch signal levels on the Dev screen and they drop to zero as soon as I switch the wifi on my MBP on!

Is there maybe a different approach ... what I want is to use Bitperfect and avoid the Mini changing the actual bitrate of the source file to whatever has been set via Midi. As far as I know this is only possible if using AIR, and not possible when using a USB cable to connect with the Dev. If there is a way of doing this over USB that could also be a solution. Do you perhaps know?

Once again, thank you for your kind help!

Edmund.

RE: Link Mac Mini direct to Devialet Expert via Ethernet - baddog - 28-Jul-2017

Hello Edmund.

This does work with WIFI enabled and using Internet Sharing and having an ethernet cable connected between the Mac and the Devialet. That is how I set mine up. It would have much less value if it did not do so.

If possible can you post pictures of your Network and Sharing Settings?

Specifically from System Preferences

Network Panel  when Wifi is selected and when ethernet is selected.

Sharing Panel for Internet Sharing

It is probably just one or two settings that are off.

If you could post how you have configured the ethernet settings on your Devialet would be helpful. I am just guessing but it may be a setting on the Devialet side. Also can you verify ethernet is enabled and WIFI is disable don the Devialet?

RE: Link Mac Mini direct to Devialet Expert via Ethernet - Mohmm - 28-Jul-2017

(27-Jul-2017, 00:31)efranklin Wrote: Dear all, I've read a few posts that seem to indicate it is possible to connect a Mac Mini (operating as a music server) directly to a Devialet Expert via ethernet cable, ie instead of connecting them both to a router. I've not been able to get this right and wonder if someone can explain how to do this - if it's possible?

My mini connects wirelessly to my home network (set up by an Apple Airport Extreme), as does the Dev (but very weakly). Wireless connection between the mini and Dev proved very poor, so I've been using a USB connection. However, I'd like to take advantage of Bitperfect.

Connecting the Dev to the Extreme worked fine - but they are several rooms apart, so cabling is going to be a nightmare.

The mini sits right next to the Dev, so connecting the two via an Ethernet cable without going via the Extreme would be ideal.

The Dev has a fixed IP address (192.168.0.4).

If anyone could help I would be hugely appreciative!

Thanks.

Hi,

I do have a similar setup with a Mac directly connected to my D1000 by ethernet with fixed IP. The correct IP setting is crucial. The IP you mention (192.168.0.4) looks like DHCP which should be deactivated on your Dev.

AIR is then set to ethernet.

Then you are free to activate WIFI using DHCP, for example. Note that you must adapt these settings in

System Prefs > Network > Ethernet > Advanced > TCPIP > Manual (for your Devialet conncetion)
System Prefs > Network > WiFi > Advanced > TCPIP > DHCP (for your WiFi conncetion)

RE: Link Mac Mini direct to Devialet Expert via Ethernet - efranklin - 29-Jul-2017

Hi baddog and Mohmm -

Apologies for a bit of a delay in my response - just got back after being away since yesterday.

I've done my best to follow your suggestions but still have the same problem: I can get it to play over ethernet cable but it cuts out as soon as I connect to my wifi internet connection.

I originally had the Devialet IP address manually forced to 192.168.0.4 by the router - this stems from when I was trying to use AIR. In case this was the problem, I deleted this on the router and changed the Dev IP address to 192.168.0.70 using the online configurator, and manually set the MBP ethernet cable IP to 192.168.0.71. The MBP's wifi IP address is 192.168.0.18.

Whatever I do, my experience is I can get it all working while WiFi is off on my MBP, but as soon as I switch wifi on it cuts out!
I also discovered that as soon as I plug the ethernet cable from the Dev into my MBP I immediately lose internet connectivity over the wifi (although wifi remains connected). Definitely feels like IP address issues ... but I don't really know how these things work ...

I have pasted all the settings below.

RE: Link Mac Mini direct to Devialet Expert via Ethernet - efranklin - 29-Jul-2017

I see the attachments don't seem to have uploaded ... trying again ...

RE: Link Mac Mini direct to Devialet Expert via Ethernet - baddog - 29-Jul-2017

Edmund, can you try changing the subnet on the Mac for ethernet to the following:

Currently you have it set to 255.255.0.0

All your other devices are set for 255.255.255.0, you do want to keep this consistent across your network.