Devialet Chat
Devialet's newest technology...? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Devialet's newest technology...? (/Thread-Devialet-s-newest-technology)

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - pete86 - 16-Dec-2014

Have there been any photos of the Branch speaker stands?

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Antoine - 16-Dec-2014

(16-Dec-2014, 18:17)PhilP Wrote:
(16-Dec-2014, 18:12)Antoine Wrote: Perhaps they will rename/position our current Devialets in a new 'Expert line'.

Well we are all 'experts' are we not?

Haha, indeed and also all the people that pay Devialet enough to buy a 120/200/250/400/800! Big Grin

Reading all this I think Dialog could be the (beginning of the) end for AIR but perhaps both will stay to exist as you'd need to buy an additional box. In any way I'm very curious how it will compare to my music server.

Devialet's newest technology...? - adhesiv - 16-Dec-2014

What are the odds we'll start seeing even more powerful Devialet amps now that they've shrunk down the technology?

Look at those peak amplification numbers!

Also is the phantom using same DAC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - IanG-UK - 16-Dec-2014

(16-Dec-2014, 18:22)Antoine Wrote: Haha, indeed and also all the people that pay Devialet enough to buy a 120/200/250/400/800! Big Grin

Reading all this I think Dialog could be the (beginning of the) end for AIR but perhaps both will stay to exist as you'd need to buy an additional box. In any way I'm very curious how it will compare to my music server.

Yes the Dialog functionality (once extended beyond USB connectivity) will probably become the new standard - if you buy the Dialog box. So I suspect AIR will remain, if you want conventional router connectivity, but maybe they will not push it further as it has been, for many, and for a long period, pretty unreliable.

(16-Dec-2014, 18:27)adhesiv Wrote: What are the odds we'll start seeing even more powerful Devialet amps now that they've shrunk down the technology?

Look at those peak amplification numbers!

Also is the phantom using same DAC?

I doubt they will hike up the amplifier power. Power beyond 800W does not (or has not historically) sold top end hifi. It aligns too much with (tacky) PA stuff IMO.

OTOH, 3000W may help to sell an upmarket boom box replacement as the market segment will be different. Hence the first UK outlet is Harrods and not Absolute Sounds' top few hifi dealers.

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - NickB - 16-Dec-2014

(16-Dec-2014, 16:15)Confused Wrote:
(16-Dec-2014, 16:03)Divasson Wrote: Accessible from your smartphone, tablet or computer, DIALOG is compatible with all Devialet products*.

* equipped with a USB input, to begin with.

I actually find this a little disappointing. I think it would be excellent if the new Dialog device would work with AIR / Ethernet, thus ensuring good sound quality, even from a relatively low cost device. I know some people have obtained some good results from USB, so time will tell as to what Dialog is like sound quality wise.

Why it only says USB only TO BEGIN WITH so they obviously mean to add the rest later. ???????????

I really don't understand the continual negativity on this forum, you have one of arguably the best sounding Audio systems about but continually carp about stuff which on any other system you would not have anyway.

Nick

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Music or sound - 16-Dec-2014

So the Phantom is an active speaker with digital cross-over incorporating advanced DSP. Other companies like Genelec or Meridian make products like that only they don't have Devialet's amplifier technology. The Phantom is mono - better good mono than bad stereo- or you can get an second one for stereo and than it approaches the price range of a D120 ensemble (at least with the silver version). I am quite curious which will sound better.
A lot of engineering went into the Phantom and I hope it will sell well as otherwise it will cause major financial problems for Devialet. I don't see it as a mass market product if one wants a stereo set.
I am more curious about the Dialog. Design wise it is apparently targeted to Phantom and not to the D series but I would be interested in a router optimized for music reproduction working with a D. More information about that product would be appreciated.

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - mauidan - 16-Dec-2014

(16-Dec-2014, 18:27)adhesiv Wrote: Also is the phantom using same DAC?

No, see post #304. It's a PCM1798.

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - PhilP - 16-Dec-2014

Devialet very kindly provided me with a white paper about Phantom which includes more information about SPARK and DIALOG.

This is very exciting stuff - they mention UPnP and access to music on NAS devices and via the cloud. The only slight downside is that there's no specific information about which streaming services will be supported 'natively' Smile so I guess this may be a little way off?

Compatible with PHANTOM and the existing range of Devialet amplifiers comes a brand new intelligent audio router called DIALOG. DIALOG creates a full wireless audio system in high resolution throughout your home, and can control and synchronize up to 24 PHANTOMs. It is connected to your own internet router, DIALOG can also directly access music from the cloud.

Based on an extremely low-latency proprietary protocol realising 1,000,000 calls per second, DIALOG allows multiple users to seamlessly control the music being played and edit a shared playlist in real time. Every user contributes by making their music (stored on their mobile devices, or available from the cloud through the music services they have suscribed to) available to other users hooked up to the same DIALOG network.

Thanks to the SPARK application, your PHANTOMs can be used alone as an independent music system, or grouped in pairs as a classical stereo installation, or in a scalable mulichannel system with 3, 4, 5 PHANTOMs or more ... The SPARK application also allows you to do live grouping, allowing to play different music in each room, or fill the house with the same music for a big party.

DIALOG creates the most robust network on the market today, by combining 3 dual-band Wi-Fi connexions, a 1Gbps Ethernet, and Power Line Communication of the latest generation.

Each PHANTOM has an optical Toslink input and is able to share this input signal with any other PHANTOM on the network. Wired connectivity to the DIALOG network through a 1Gbps Ethernet RJ-45 port is also available.

Based on the EVO® platform, DIALOG will integrate more and more music streaming services natively, multichannel audio decoding, UPnP compatibility to access music from NAS devices, and much more .

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Confused - 16-Dec-2014

(16-Dec-2014, 18:45)NickB Wrote:
(16-Dec-2014, 16:15)Confused Wrote:
(16-Dec-2014, 16:03)Divasson Wrote: Accessible from your smartphone, tablet or computer, DIALOG is compatible with all Devialet products*.

* equipped with a USB input, to begin with.

I actually find this a little disappointing. I think it would be excellent if the new Dialog device would work with AIR / Ethernet, thus ensuring good sound quality, even from a relatively low cost device. I know some people have obtained some good results from USB, so time will tell as to what Dialog is like sound quality wise.

Why it only says USB only TO BEGIN WITH so they obviously mean to add the rest later. ???????????

I really don't understand the continual negativity on this forum, you have one of arguably the best sounding Audio systems about but continually carp about stuff which on any other system you would not have anyway.

Nick

This wasn't actually intended to be super negative! But to be honest, I am genuinely disappointed that there is no mention of the AIR interface. AIR is supposed to be Devialet’s flagship method for computer audio / amplifier interface with respect to sound quality, I guess for a while I have been thinking that if there was some kind of “non-computer” type streaming device that could utilise AIR then that would be superb. If we are to infer that the “to begin with” means AIR implementation will follow, why don’t they say so? Maybe the USB interface is optimised to achieve AIR levels of sound quality, if so, again, why not just a few word with respect to sound quality? That’s all I ask.

Oh dear…. Responding to this appears to be making me sound more negative.

To be clear I am actually a super happy Devialet owner. Apologies for any offence caused. I’ll try to keep comments positive from now on!
Shy

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - amabrok - 16-Dec-2014

(16-Dec-2014, 19:15)PhilP Wrote: Devialet very kindly provided me with a white paper about Phantom which includes more information about SPARK and DIALOG.

This is very exciting stuff - they mention UPnP and access to music on NAS devices and via the cloud. The only slight downside is that there's no specific information about which streaming services will be supported 'natively' Smile so I guess this may be a little way off?

Compatible with PHANTOM and the existing range of Devialet amplifiers comes a brand new intelligent audio router called DIALOG. DIALOG creates a full wireless audio system in high resolution throughout your home, and can control and synchronize up to 24 PHANTOMs. It is connected to your own internet router, DIALOG can also directly access music from the cloud.

Based on an extremely low-latency proprietary protocol realising 1,000,000 calls per second, DIALOG allows multiple users to seamlessly control the music being played and edit a shared playlist in real time. Every user contributes by making their music (stored on their mobile devices, or available from the cloud through the music services they have suscribed to) available to other users hooked up to the same DIALOG network.

Thanks to the SPARK application, your PHANTOMs can be used alone as an independent music system, or grouped in pairs as a classical stereo installation, or in a scalable mulichannel system with 3, 4, 5 PHANTOMs or more ... The SPARK application also allows you to do live grouping, allowing to play different music in each room, or fill the house with the same music for a big party.

DIALOG creates the most robust network on the market today, by combining 3 dual-band Wi-Fi connexions, a 1Gbps Ethernet, and Power Line Communication of the latest generation.

Each PHANTOM has an optical Toslink input and is able to share this input signal with any other PHANTOM on the network. Wired connectivity to the DIALOG network through a 1Gbps Ethernet RJ-45 port is also available.

Based on the EVO® platform, DIALOG will integrate more and more music streaming services natively, multichannel audio decoding, UPnP compatibility to access music from NAS devices, and much more .

now we are talking. I'm actually more keen to know more about Dialogue. No interest in Phantom at this stage