Devialet Chat
Devialet's newest technology...? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Devialet's newest technology...? (/Thread-Devialet-s-newest-technology)

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - kris - 17-Dec-2014

(17-Dec-2014, 05:03)pete86 Wrote:
(17-Dec-2014, 04:24)Antoine Wrote: Press release and white paper are posted here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/615-devialet-unleashes-phantom/

Picture 9 shows the packaging for the Phantom remote. Wonder if it's similar to the original remotes. Has anyone spotted it?

Picture 2 shows the remote box half opened to get a glimse - looks quite different from the originals...

(16-Dec-2014, 18:45)NickB Wrote:
(16-Dec-2014, 16:15)Confused Wrote:
(16-Dec-2014, 16:03)Divasson Wrote: Accessible from your smartphone, tablet or computer, DIALOG is compatible with all Devialet products*.

* equipped with a USB input, to begin with.

I actually find this a little disappointing. I think it would be excellent if the new Dialog device would work with AIR / Ethernet, thus ensuring good sound quality, even from a relatively low cost device. I know some people have obtained some good results from USB, so time will tell as to what Dialog is like sound quality wise.

Why it only says USB only TO BEGIN WITH so they obviously mean to add the rest later. ???????????

I really don't understand the continual negativity on this forum, you have one of arguably the best sounding Audio systems about but continually carp about stuff which on any other system you would not have anyway.

Nick

I'm a bit afraid that "to begin with" is a dodgy translation, and what they mean is "as an initial prerequisite"...

Kris

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - thumb5 - 17-Dec-2014

(17-Dec-2014, 00:11)Confused Wrote: Does anyone have any idea what the "3000W" figure actually means? 3000W in normal Hi Fi or more likely professional PA terms is, urm, quite a lot!

The power outputs (750/3000W) are noted as "peak", which I read as the maximum possible instantaneous power delivery. RMS power delivery would presumably be much lower. To some degree it's a moot point because that power is only available to the internal drivers so the result depends as much on their efficiency as the electrical power delivered to them. But given the quoted SPL figures it obviously goes loud!

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Eddye - 17-Dec-2014

I'd like to come back from my previous statement about not being impressed. I am impressed with the new product as far as the hardware design, use of ADH and SAM and other things Devialet managed to develop for this. I'm also really curious about the DIALOG box and the SPARK U.I. and how they work with both a NAS and streaming services. I still don't like the way they look, but it's exciting stuff non the less.

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - PhilP - 17-Dec-2014

(17-Dec-2014, 10:14)thumb5 Wrote:
(17-Dec-2014, 00:11)Confused Wrote: Does anyone have any idea what the "3000W" figure actually means? 3000W in normal Hi Fi or more likely professional PA terms is, urm, quite a lot!

The power outputs (750/3000W) are noted as "peak", which I read as the maximum possible instantaneous power delivery. RMS power delivery would presumably be much lower. To some degree it's a moot point because that power is only available to the internal drivers so the result depends as much on their efficiency as the electrical power delivered to them. But given the quoted SPL figures it obviously goes loud!

The power supplies for the 120 and 200 are both spec'd as 600W continuous, 3000W peak.

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - thumb5 - 17-Dec-2014

I must say, the white paper does a great job of describing some of the engineering challenges that Devialet have solved to produce the Phantom. In particular the development of the HBI bass units and the mechanical engineering associated with the enclosure are awe-inspiring. Great stuff!

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Unclemonty - 17-Dec-2014

I'm a bit concerned that they've already de-scoped the 'Zero Soufflé' feature, that doesn't bode well....

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Vivialet - 17-Dec-2014

I've read all available info, but still I'm not sure what exactly this will be. I need 2 Phantoms for a Stereo setup, ok. But "best sound in the world" ? Does this mean we can sell our expensive stuff and buy 2 of these babies ? If it is really "the best sound in the world" then why is it so cheap ? In this case noone will buy a Devialet amp anymore...and nothing else...
I guess we have to wait for some reviews.
And of course there are many open questions: will it be possible to mix Phantom and Devialet amps with one Dialogue controller ? Can a Devialet 400 or 800 be synchronized without using a cable ? Maybe by adding a Wifi module to the slave ?

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Tony - 17-Dec-2014

I am with adhesive i.e. if 800 is better than 400 which is better than 200 why not a D3000?. Given they have shrunk the technology and have in demonstrations shown that it is possible to remove the ADH module why not a user installable hardware upgrade to ramp the watts up?

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - darthsteph - 17-Dec-2014

(17-Dec-2014, 11:57)Vivialet Wrote: I've read all available info, but still I'm not sure what exactly this will be. I need 2 Phantoms for a Stereo setup, ok. But "best sound in the world" ? Does this mean we can sell our expensive stuff and buy 2 of these babies ? If it is really "the best sound in the world" then why is it so cheap ? In this case noone will buy a Devialet amp anymore...and nothing else...
I guess we have to wait for some reviews.
And of course there are many open questions: will it be possible to mix Phantom and Devialet amps with one Dialogue controller ? Can a Devialet 400 or 800 be synchronized without using a cable ? Maybe by adding a Wifi module to the slave ?

Indeed...

"Sannié says they were looking to recreate the sophistication of a £50,000 system in the £1.5k Phantom"...

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - warpeon - 17-Dec-2014

I wont mind getting 5 to replace my 5.1 and 2 channel. If it works