Devialet Chat
Devialet's newest technology...? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Devialet's newest technology...? (/Thread-Devialet-s-newest-technology)

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Pim - 18-Dec-2014

(18-Dec-2014, 12:10)G51 Wrote: It seemed that Devialet is telling the customers should buy the Phantom rather than the so-called expert line D??? as Phantom is the latest technology and have the best sound. Devialet does not explain to us what they are planning on further enhance the performance of our amp. Remember the last update has been quite a few months ago. And the SAM is initially intended for Phantom instead.

I like to ask you guys a question - If you haven't bought a D???, would you go for it without hesitation now?

Will Devialet explain to us what they are thinking at this forum or at its Facebook?

I don't think SAM was invented just for Phantom. That's probably your best indication that Devialet are into High End for the long term; They are still pumping out SAM profiles, their amps are now being used at shows by speaker manufacturers because their stuff sound better run by Devialet amplification. Devialet are on a winner here and they know it. And looking at what's in a Phantom and what's in a D200/250 they are probably making more money on the D's too now the development cost are out of the way.

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - ozthepoz - 18-Dec-2014

(18-Dec-2014, 12:10)G51 Wrote: It seemed that Devialet is telling the customers should buy the Phantom rather than the so-called expert line D??? as Phantom is the latest technology and have the best sound. Devialet does not explain to us what they are planning on further enhance the performance of our amp. Remember the last update has been quite a few months ago. And the SAM is initially intended for Phantom instead.

I like to ask you guys a question - If you haven't bought a D???, would you go for it without hesitation now?

Will Devialet explain to us what they are thinking at this forum or at its Facebook?

That's a really good question; I've always loved my Martin Logan speakers, and the way they represent my favourite music. When I get some money, I'll almost certainlyupgrade them to some more MLs.

So it's not just about about how "good" they sound - it's whether they are better at the things that I like about my current speakers.

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Damon - 18-Dec-2014

(18-Dec-2014, 12:10)G51 Wrote: It seemed that Devialet is telling the customers should buy the Phantom rather than the so-called expert line D??? as Phantom is the latest technology and have the best sound....

I like to ask you guys a question - If you haven't bought a D???, would you go for it without hesitation now?...

I'm not keeping up with the Phantom as well as others are, but the Phantom appears to me to be an all-in-one music player, similar to Naim's Mu-So system, apart from the obvious design intent and execution. I don't see the Phantom as an alternative or competitor to the 'conventional' Devialet line (suppresses a giggle). And since I'm in the lead up to a Dev purchase, my answer to your question is, 'yes, absolutely'. I don't want a single source, all in one music player. I'm after the best, semi-sanely priced hi-fi I can find and afford. The Phantom seems to be an amazing product, but aimed at an entirely different use and in many cases, a different buyer.

On the other hand, current Dev. owners may want a smaller musical source in another room; it appears the Phantom will link to your current audio system and give you a compact Devialet system and sound.

I don't see the Phantom as a threat to the integrated amplifier product line. I do see it as a product that demonstrates a complete re-thinking of what a single-box, compact audio system can be and how their engineering can deliver it. Be impressed!

It reminded me of the Weltron globe 8-track and cassette players of the 1980's, but I suspect it sounds quite a bit better. But to repeat; yes, my intent to buy a D is unchanged. If anything, I see the phantom as an amazing addition to a remarkable product line. I believe it will only make the company stronger and more enduring.

Devialet's newest technology...? - xy1689 - 19-Dec-2014

what if the phantom sound better than every speaker plus d120? Based on the advertising, I think it's possible.....no one will buy 120 anymore

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Eddye - 19-Dec-2014

(19-Dec-2014, 09:41)xy1689 Wrote: what if the phantom sound better than every speaker plus d120? Based on the advertising, I think it's possible.....no one will buy 120 anymore
What if you want to connect a turntable, or another source? Not all music is streamed, or even digital.

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - IanG-UK - 19-Dec-2014

(19-Dec-2014, 09:41)xy1689 Wrote: what if the phantom sound better than every speaker plus d120? Based on the advertising, I think it's possible.....no one will buy 120 anymore

I think that is highly unlikely. And it depends on you liking those throbbing side pieces on the Phantom which I think, for me, would be a pain in the backside after the novelty wore off.

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Eddye - 19-Dec-2014

(19-Dec-2014, 12:16)IanG-UK Wrote:

I think that is highly unlikely. And it depends on you liking those throbbing side pieces on the Phantom which I think, for me, would be a pain in the backside after the novelty wore off.
You shouldn't sit on them...

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - gray - 19-Dec-2014

Didn't Devialet sell around 10,000 units in 2014? Probably mostly D120's and D200's. Their business must be looking pretty good.

If the Phantom did sound better than every speaker plus D120 then the D120 and D200 sales would plummet.

For this to make economic sense they would have to expect to sell maybe 50,000 plus Phantoms in 2015.

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - f1eng - 19-Dec-2014

(19-Dec-2014, 09:43)Eddye Wrote:
What if you want to connect a turntable, or another source? Not all music is streamed, or even digital.

This is what I think too.
I am fed up with streaming, too many alternatives, I can't be bothered any more. I want to spend my time enjoying my music, not dicking about with equipment.
OTOH if their intention to compete with £50k separated has been achieved, a couple of these on stands may well be the way to go if they can be connected effectively to my legacy Devialet for CD and LP playback.
Certainly nowhere near as big as either of the speakers I have now!

Not sure about the styling though, I find classic style to age most gracefully.

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Charlemagne - 19-Dec-2014

(18-Dec-2014, 12:22)Pim van Vliet Wrote: I don't think SAM was invented just for Phantom.

On a French website I read that SAM especially was developed for the Phantom. It proved te be very succesfull so they give it a try on other loudspeakers. So yes, SAM is spin-of of the Phantom developments.

Sound correction in the digital domain is done by other brands as well, like Linn and Dynaudio in there active speakers.