Devialet Chat
Devialet's newest technology...? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Devialet's newest technology...? (/Thread-Devialet-s-newest-technology)

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Antoine - 05-Jan-2015

I agree, but then again I don't think Phantom is targeted at audiophiles/HT enthusiasts.

(05-Jan-2015, 12:45)Jwg1749 Wrote:
(05-Jan-2015, 08:39)f1eng Wrote: I am told that Dialog+Spark is a big upgrade in terms of ease of use and streaming capability for the D series too.

If that's the case -- and it would be very disappointing were it not -- it'll be a big relief for me and, I suspect, quite a few others who've lost faith in AIR (white noise over ethernet is my particular bugbear, but integration with JRiver on Windows is also a PITA) and don't fancy shelling out for something by Auralic, Aurender or the like.

In fact, my disillusionment with AIR was nudging me towards ditching Devialet altogether (especially now that my D200 has been 'relegated' to my second system) and buying some active speakers, e.g. ATCs.

But no, I've kept the faith and ordered a Dialog, prompted not least by the very reasonable price.

Matt

Considering all the (past and current) issues with AIR it's, in a way, a smart move from Devialet to take out the customer's computer from the equation. Of course they should make AIR as fool proof as possible but streaming audio still is a semi real-time application in which it is important that everything in the chain performs well. It's very difficult to support a solution that works on such a wide array of devices/configurations. Remember there are many people that don't have any issues with AIR but Devialet can't control the customers computer but they do have full control over the Dialog (it's internal workings) that replaces that computer.

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Confused - 05-Jan-2015

(05-Jan-2015, 14:22)Antoine Wrote: Considering all the (past and current) issues with AIR it's, in a way, a smart move from Devialet to take out the customer's computer from the equation. Of course they should make AIR as fool proof as possible but streaming audio still is a semi real-time application in which it is important that everything in the chain performs well. It's very difficult to support a solution that works on such a wide array of devices/configurations. Remember there are many people that don't have any issues with AIR but Devialet can't control the customers computer but they do have full control over the Dialog (it's internal workings) that replaces that computer.

Surely you still need a computer, or at least a NAS drive to actually get the music files to a Dialog? Even NAS drives can come with a variety of software and set-ups. (Obviously I am ignoring the options to stream from an iPhone or similar)

Perhaps it would make sense if Devialet were to advise the full spec requirement for a NAS drive to feed Dialog, thus giving full control of the complete streaming chain.

True (for streaming local files), but the most critical part in the solution is not the 'storage component'. The critical parts are those that are responsible for interfacing with the Devialet, feeding it it's streaming data in time which is a semi real time process.

Computers/NAS'es today can easily keep up the data rates required for streaming audio but it is more difficult to keep supplying the Devialet the data it needs in time/at the right time (especially when done from a multi-/general purpose PC that has all sorts of potentially interrupting processes/programs running, power saving features etc.) The Dialog probably uses highly tuned software for this part of the process and Devialet fully controls this software and the OS it's running on.

It'll also make it easier for Devialet (and customers) to expand functionality, a software update automatically pushed to the Dialog is all that's needed to offer new functionality (plus a update of Spark of course).

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - GuillaumeB - 05-Jan-2015

(05-Jan-2015, 14:22)Antoine Wrote: Considering all the (past and current) issues with AIR it's, in a way, a smart move from Devialet to take out the customer's computer from the equation. Of course they should make AIR as fool proof as possible but streaming audio still is a semi real-time application in which it is important that everything in the chain performs well. It's very difficult to support a solution that works on such a wide array of devices/configurations. Remember there are many people that don't have any issues with AIR but Devialet can't control the customers computer but they do have full control over the Dialog (it's internal workings) that replaces that computer.

Great post. I couldn't agree with you more Antoine.

Guillaume

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Jwg1749 - 05-Jan-2015

(05-Jan-2015, 14:49)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Great post. I couldn't agree with you more Antoine.

Guillaume

Likewise.

I thought I'd end up with a dedicated home-brew PC supplying my Dev via ethernet, but the Dialog looks like it'll save me the bother and be cheaper too.

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - NickB - 05-Jan-2015

(05-Jan-2015, 14:22)Antoine Wrote:
(05-Jan-2015, 12:45)Jwg1749 Wrote:
(05-Jan-2015, 08:39)f1eng Wrote: I am told that Dialog+Spark is a big upgrade in terms of ease of use and streaming capability for the D series too.

If that's the case -- and it would be very disappointing were it not -- it'll be a big relief for me and, I suspect, quite a few others who've lost faith in AIR (white noise over ethernet is my particular bugbear, but integration with JRiver on Windows is also a PITA) and don't fancy shelling out for something by Auralic, Aurender or the like.

In fact, my disillusionment with AIR was nudging me towards ditching Devialet altogether (especially now that my D200 has been 'relegated' to my second system) and buying some active speakers, e.g. ATCs.

But no, I've kept the faith and ordered a Dialog, prompted not least by the very reasonable price.

Matt

Considering all the (past and current) issues with AIR it's, in a way, a smart move from Devialet to take out the customer's computer from the equation. Of course they should make AIR as fool proof as possible but streaming audio still is a semi real-time application in which it is important that everything in the chain performs well. It's very difficult to support a solution that works on such a wide array of devices/configurations. Remember there are many people that don't have any issues with AIR but Devialet can't control the customers computer but they do have full control over the Dialog (it's internal workings) that replaces that computer.

AT LAST people are beginning to see the real use of Dialog was waiting to see who would spot that it does away with all the white noise - DSD - streaming issues in one cheap box that does not need to be expensive for good sound quality!!!!

Nick

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Vivialet - 05-Jan-2015

so far we do not know about the sound quality. Ok, it does not require the AIR driver. But it seems it can only be connected via USB. And for me USB (with a good Aqvox cable) is not as good sounding as AIR. I hope they support WLAN with the next firmware update.
And: not using a PC as a source will also eliminate the use of room correction, e.g. the parametric EQ in jRiver, Dirac, Acourate, ...so as long as Dialog does not have it's own room correction this will be no alternative for me.

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Chris Marshall - 05-Jan-2015

(05-Jan-2015, 16:32)Vivialet Wrote: so far we do not know about the sound quality. Ok, it does not require the AIR driver. But it seems it can only be connected via USB. And for me USB (with a good Aqvox cable) is not as good sounding as AIR. I hope they support WLAN with the next firmware update.

Agreed the unknow SQ is the only thing that has stopped me buying one so far, interface wise it sounds like the perfect solution but the hardware is designed for a Sonos style product (albeit a very good one I'm sure), not the expert line so who knows whether the quality, using USB, will be as good as air. Do we also need a fancy USB cable as well to match the quality of Air?

Hopefully all this will be unfounded and it will sound better than Air and we will all be delighted!

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Flashman - 05-Jan-2015

(05-Jan-2015, 16:42)Chris Marshall Wrote:
(05-Jan-2015, 16:32)Vivialet Wrote: so far we do not know about the sound quality. Ok, it does not require the AIR driver. But it seems it can only be connected via USB. And for me USB (with a good Aqvox cable) is not as good sounding as AIR. I hope they support WLAN with the next firmware update.

Agreed the unknow SQ is the only thing that has topped me buying one so far, interface wise it sounds like the perfect solution but the hardware is designed for a Sonos style product (albeit a very good one I'm sure), not the expert line so who knows whether the quality will be as good as air using USB. Do we also need a fancy USB cable as well to match the quality of Air?

Hopefully all this will be unfounded and it will sound better than Air and we will all be delighted!
I know quite a few of us are disappointed with AIR. When it works, it's like alchemy and it is unparalleled in SQ. I have faith that the good folks at Devialet have found a more robust solution with DIALOG, and that their choice of USB must be based on advances in their hardware design. I currently use a Bluesound Node for streaming and, for me, the resolution through the optical connection to my Dev200 is less refined than AIR. But, boy, do I appreciate the stability and ease of the software solution. If Devialet could take the same approach and improve the SQ, well that would be a winner.