Devialet Chat
Devialet's newest technology...? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Devialet's newest technology...? (/Thread-Devialet-s-newest-technology)

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - PhilP - 17-Jan-2015

(17-Jan-2015, 19:45)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(17-Jan-2015, 10:04)PhilP Wrote: I saw the reference to PLC in the specs - I just hope the feature can be completely disabled. It's the work of he Devil in terms of RFI emissions. They don't just pollute the mains in the property they're being used in, the interference can be apparent for quite a wide range outside.

I suspect that whether PLC is detrimental or not to SQ and other devices depends on the quality of the PLC implementation and the other devices.

As you can see in my signature, my D120 is connected through an Ethernet Cable to a PLC receiver. I have two other PLC receiver at home: one for the DSL modem and one for my Airport Access point.

So not only do I have a PLC receiver on the same electric circuit as my D120, but it also have a direct Ethernet connection between the two and it is also how the music is streamed using Air.

I was absolutely unable to detect any SQ difference nor any sign of adverse pollution with or without that PLC solution.

Of course milage may vary and I did not do a proper double blind test, so my finding may be biased by the fact that such a solution was much more convenient than any other for me.....

My two cents,

Jean-Marie

Jean-Marie,

I'm not saying they don't work well (they do) or will necessarily affect the SQ of your hi-fi (especially when using an SMPS-powered solution like Devialet) but they have been shown to impact FM and Digital radio reception and, as I said in my reply to Nick, they can impact neighbours as well.

I am sure that you're correct that the impact of PLC solutions can vary considerably and that well-designed solutions may not emit as much RFI interference.  Also regulations vary by country...

Best regards,

Philip

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - PhilP - 18-Jan-2015

Re. my earlier post about PLCs/PLAs (Powerline adaptors), the telecoms regulator in the UK - OFCOM - recently announced that they are considering extending existing legislation to allow them to prosecute owners of "bad" PLAs and other electrical devices that cause "undue interference" to radio transmissions. Fines could be as high as £5,000.

Daily Telegraph

also

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/01/ofcom-propose-prosecute-owners-bad-powerline-network-adapters.html

From what I've read, many PLCs are well-designed and don't cause significant problems but there are apparently  some which fail to meet emissions regulations.  I don't know which models these are...

Dialog - Flashman - 21-Jan-2015

I just got my code and ordered a DIALOG, which as I guess most of you know won't be available in the EU until the end of March.  I live in France so I have decided to visit La Maison in Paris on 29 January to see whether the DIALOG might be demonstrated.  Ha!  I even offered to be a beta tester and take possession of the DIALOG at this time but no takers!  On the same trip, I am going to pick up a loom of cables (speaker, power, interconnects) from Franck Tchang of Acoustic System International (ASI).  He has two lines : LiveLine and (the more expensive) Reference  series.  Should be a fun road trip! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - ozthepoz - 21-Jan-2015

(21-Jan-2015, 12:08)Flashman Wrote: I just got my code and ordered a DIALOG, which as I guess most of you know won't be available in the EU until the end of March.  I live in France so I have decided to visit La Maison in Paris on 29 January to see whether the DIALOG might be demonstrated.  Ha!  I even offered to be a beta tester and take possession of the DIALOG at this time but no takers!  On the same trip, I am going to pick up a loom of cables (speaker, power, interconnects) from Franck Tchang of Acoustic System International (ASI).  He has two lines : LiveLine and (the more expensive) Reference  series.  Should be a fun road trip! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

See if you can persuade them to give you a look at the spark app while you are there!

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Confused - 21-Jan-2015

(21-Jan-2015, 12:08)Flashman Wrote: I just got my code and ordered a DIALOG, which as I guess most of you know won't be available in the EU until the end of March.  I live in France so I have decided to visit La Maison in Paris on 29 January to see whether the DIALOG might be demonstrated.  Ha!  I even offered to be a beta tester and take possession of the DIALOG at this time but no takers!  On the same trip, I am going to pick up a loom of cables (speaker, power, interconnects) from Franck Tchang of Acoustic System International (ASI).  He has two lines : LiveLine and (the more expensive) Reference  series.  Should be a fun road trip! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Could I also ask you to kick them up the @r** whilst politely asking them about when AIR will be updated and white noise free, when the Configurator will be updated and bug free and why they have taken my money for Dialog, then delayed the order by seven weeks without even sending me an email to say sorry.  Cash paid if you can get a decent 'photo of this fine event!

Anyway, enjoy you trip!  Whether or not you ask any of the above questions if of course entirely up to you.  Maybe enjoy the full benefits of their hospitality then politely mention something at the end? 

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Flashman - 22-Jan-2015

(21-Jan-2015, 21:30)Confused Wrote:

Could I also ask you to kick them up the @r** whilst politely asking them about when AIR will be updated and white noise free, when the Configurator will be updated and bug free and why they have taken my money for Dialog, then delayed the order by seven weeks without even sending me an email to say sorry.  Cash paid if you can get a decent 'photo of this fine event!

Anyway, enjoy you trip!  Whether or not you ask any of the above questions if of course entirely up to you.  Maybe enjoy the full benefits of their hospitality then politely mention something at the end? 
Yep, don't disagree with your issues, Confused.  I have given up on AIR for the moment and am using a Bluesound Node to access Tidal, Spotify and all the music on my PC.  While I really dislike that the only output from the Node to my Devialet DAC is through TOSLink, I still love the convenience of having my music available 24/7 without any problems.  Of course, I hope that the DIALOG will be the permanent replacement for the Node and perhaps the final link to my music needs -- streaming or stored.  When AIR worked it was great but I grew weary of its fickleness.  As for the Configurator, I never had an issue with it.  Finally, I do think that Devialet ought to charge your credit card only after they have shipped the device.   I will take some photos and share them on the site.

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - adro - 22-Jan-2015

Hi.

Located in Norway outside of EU, I guess I will not get my hands on the Phantom/Dialog for a long time.

So my plan is a trip to London, anyone knows when it will be displayed at Harrods?

Rgds
Atle

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - ozthepoz - 22-Jan-2015

(22-Jan-2015, 19:28)adro Wrote: Hi.

Located in Norway outside of EU, I guess I will not get my hands on the Phantom/Dialog for a long time.

So my plan is a trip to London, anyone knows when it will be displayed at Harrods?

Rgds
Atle
I heard a rumour of 1st Feb, but I can't verify it.

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - f1eng - 23-Jan-2015

The first Phantoms were supposed to be leaving the factory on 20th January. This has now been put back to the 16th February.

RE: Devialet's newest technology...? - Eddye - 07-Feb-2015

Finally got an invitation code and ordered a DIALOG. I hope I won't have to wait too long.