Devialet Chat
Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons (/Thread-Core-Infinity-listening-impressions-and-comparisons)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons - PeterS - 11-Dec-2017

After I powered up my D250 I thought "what is this?" It sounded awful, but after 10-15 minutes it got better and is now great again. I can't tell if there is a difference with the new board. There may be some more mid-band clarity as others have mentioned but it is not more involving.

USB and Air over Ethernet work. WiFi doesn't work; I have the same configuration as before but the D250 is not visible in the list of attached devices.
I don't know how to get UPNP working. My NAS doesn't recognize the D250 over the network. Is UPNP only available over USB, or should it work over Ethernet/WiFi too? The manual that came with the new software doesn't say anything about that.

RE: Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons - ogs - 11-Dec-2017

UPNP should be network only so either wifi or ethernet. As wifi doesn't work yet it's ethernet. My guess is you'd have to enable UPNP in Configurator to see it on the network. This is the first time I've seen someone describe the sound as 'awful' on first turn on after a CI upgrade. Do you get bad sound every time you turn the amp on?

RE: Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons - ssfas - 11-Dec-2017

Ethernet works fine, but you should set it up on its own network. Devialet recommend using an Airport Express, I use an Asus router as an access point with a guest network.

One thing I found is that bubbleupnp will not see the Devialet as a renderer unless you set up the network first and fully power down and restart the Devialet.

QMusic also works fine, but I have it and never use it. Only tried it as I have a QNAP server and QMusic / bubbleupnp are the two upnp apps recommended in the Infinity Core manual.

(11-Dec-2017, 13:39)ogs Wrote: UPNP should be network only so either wifi or ethernet. As wifi doesn't work yet it's ethernet. My guess is you'd have to enable UPNP in Configurator to see it on the network. This is the first time I've seen someone describe the sound as 'awful' on first turn on after a CI upgrade. Do you get bad sound every time you turn the amp on?

What do mean by “enable uPNP in Configurator? I don’t see any difference in the Configurator and UPNP is an “input” that I can select, but I cannot disable that in Configurator because it is unvisible there.

That awful sound was only in the beginning; it seemed all the bass had disappeared. It is back now.

Thanks for the quick reply
Peter

RE: Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons - petrik - 11-Dec-2017

(11-Dec-2017, 11:32)PeterS Wrote: WiFi doesn't work; I have the same configuration as before but the D250 is not visible in the list of attached devices.

This is surprising since Wifi is working just fine in my system. I haven't even tried using Ethernet so far because Wifi has been working so well.

Hi Petrik, do you have UPNP working?
Is there a new Configurator? It ssems to me there is change; hence no possibility to disable/enable UPNP.

RE: Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons - ogs - 11-Dec-2017

@PeterS I obviously do not quite know what I am talking about! My 250 does not yet have the CI so I am just referring to something I thought I read about this. Good to know that the 'awfulness" is permanently gone!

RE: Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons - petrik - 11-Dec-2017

(11-Dec-2017, 14:46)PeterS Wrote: Hi Petrik, do you have UPNP working?
Is there a new Configurator? It ssems to me there is change; hence no possibility to disable/enable UPNP.

I haven't used UPnP so I cannot comment whether it works or not. I have only used Roon/AIR and that has worked well.

I think there is no possibility to configure or enable/disable UPnP on the Configurator.

RE: Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons - ozthepoz - 12-Dec-2017

(11-Dec-2017, 08:51)rdok Wrote: Hello all, I received my 220 Pro back last Friday after a two week turnaround and spent quite some time listening over the weekend.
That in iteself proved not so easy, in my set-up Roon Air works over ethernet but not reliably so. It refuses to play more than one or a few tracks in a row from a playlist, it just stops. Manually restarting the track works though. Also had to unplug the Dev a few times to get rid of the 'device in use' message.
I hope updates in firm- and software will come and solve this over time.

My observations on SQ, very subjective of course but confirmed with a friend:
But all that is forgiven (for now at least) because of the jump in sound quality. Much more detail in the midrange, which give a lot more subtlety to instruments and voices, in line with earlier posts in this thread. Listening to e.g. Neils Lofgren's Acoustic Live it is now much more aparent how he extracts different sounds from the guitar with each and every note. A lot more information is extracted form instruments and voices.
On soundstage the impression is that you are listening a few rows closer towards the stage now.

I was listening with a friend and we noticed that over an hour or so the perceived SQ got even better over that hour. Going back to the first track we plaeyed confirmed that. Now that may be warming up the equipment or burning in of the CI board, I don't know. It had been playing for about 10 hour in total by then and was up and running for about an hour before this happened.
I am curious as to when I start listening again whether it was the warming up or burning in, but unfortunately serious listening will have to wait a few weeks as I will be not at home most of the time.

rdok
"On soundstage the impression is that you are listening a few rows closer towards the stage now. "

That's a really good way of describing it.

RE: Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons - Nakatomi63 - 12-Dec-2017

Does anyone know if Wifi 5 GHz works?