Devialet Chat
Anyone doing immersion system? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Phantom I (103 DB, 108 DB, Premier Classic, Silver & Gold) (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Phantom-I-103-DB-108-DB-Premier-Classic-Silver-Gold)
+--- Thread: Anyone doing immersion system? (/Thread-Anyone-doing-immersion-system)

Anyone doing immersion system? - snbeall - 28-Jan-2018

I have 2 Elevates and 2 Golds on trial and until today had been comparing them side by side. Decided to try them in an “immersion” setup as Devialet calls it - the closest they come to multichannel at present date. You set one left, one right, and then the rear two in “Mix” mode (mono). The problem becomes how to adjust the relative volume levels front and rear. I can find no means to do so and the Golds are so much louder than the Elevates at any given setting that they simply overpower the Elevates. Anyone got such a setup?

RE: Anyone doing immersion system? - ondastar - 28-Jan-2018

Try changing the Rears to a different room name in Spark , and you should have semi independent control.

RE: Anyone doing immersion system? - Pwalder - 28-Jan-2018

(28-Jan-2018, 19:37)snbeall Wrote: I have 2 Elevates and 2 Golds on trial and until today had been comparing them side by side. Decided to try them in an “immersion” setup as Devialet calls it - the closest they come to multichannel at present date. You set one left, one right, and then the rear two in “Mix” mode (mono). The problem becomes how to adjust the relative volume levels front and rear. I can find no means to do so and the Golds are so much louder than the Elevates at any given setting that they simply overpower the Elevates. Anyone got such a setup?

Could you give your personal reflections on the perceivable difference between the golds and elevates?

RE: Anyone doing immersion system? - snbeall - 29-Jan-2018

(28-Jan-2018, 19:46)ondastar Wrote: Try changing the Rears to a different room name in Spark , and you should have semi independent control.

Came up with that solution as well. Just figured since it was their recommended setup, I might be overlooking some option. Another cumbersome workaround to a relatively straightforward problem. Anyway it does produce an interesting effect with stereo rears. When are they going to put out a proper multi-channel Dialogue?

RE: Anyone doing immersion system? - snbeall - 29-Jan-2018

As for Gold v Elevate? At about half the cost, the Elevates have 90-95% of the Gold’s performance (typical audiophile diminishing returns). As I have written elsewhere, they require significantly higher volume settings for the same perceived loudness (Gold @50 = Elevate @60) so if you have a large listening space, you’ll likely want to go Gold (or Silver). Golds only difference (other than higher top volume) is of course the tweeter. It is not unlike any titanium vs soft tweeter debate. I happen to like the slightly more forward airy presentation of the Gold, but this is a typical metal vs soft dome tweeter thing. If you don’t need the higher output, I think one could be quite happy with Elevates. Golds will recreate live concert levels. Elevates will not. I tried pushing Elevates past 70 (which I’ve read elsewhere is their 0dB point) and they did not seem to get much louder - merely began to compress. I imagine it’s a protection circuit thing. It was still quite loud. But if you’re a crescendo junky with a large space, you’ll likely wanna move up.

RE: Anyone doing immersion system? - Pwalder - 29-Jan-2018

(29-Jan-2018, 04:31)snbeall Wrote: As for Gold v Elevate? At about half the cost, the Elevates have 90-95% of the Gold’s performance (typical audiophile diminishing returns). As I have written elsewhere, they require significantly higher volume settings for the same perceived loudness (Gold @50 = Elevate @60) so if you have a large listening space, you’ll likely want to go Gold (or Silver). Golds only difference (other than higher top volume) is of course the tweeter. It is not unlike any titanium vs soft tweeter debate. I happen to like the slightly more forward airy presentation of the Gold, but this is a typical metal vs soft dome tweeter thing. If you don’t need the higher output, I think one could be quite happy with Elevates. Golds will recreate live concert levels. Elevates will not. I tried pushing Elevates past 70 (which I’ve read elsewhere is their 0dB point) and they did not seem to get much louder - merely began to compress. I imagine it’s a protection circuit thing. It was still quite loud. But if you’re a crescendo junky with a large space, you’ll likely wanna move up.

Thank you. This is a v helpful summary. I have a 4m by 5m room so it sounds as if Elevates would be a possible solution. Thanks again.