Devialet Chat
Roon - the next step? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Roon - the next step? (/Thread-Roon-the-next-step)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Roon - the next step? - Womaz - 04-Mar-2018

I am currently trialing Roon, but it’s a must keep for me. I love the simplicity of it all.
So in the next couple of months I am going to make some changes to my set up to accommodate it as at present I am using my lap top as the core and I don’t want that as a long term solution.
My listening now is almost exclusively Tidal, but I do have about 2000 albums in FLAC file, and the odd 24bit album in there too
At present I have the Devialet 200 connected via USB to the Melco N1A. I am looking to replace the Melco with something similar but with Roon installed . I want a USB connection as in my room/system it sounded much better .
I know there are other ways I could do this and I may consider these too but for the purposes of this post I am looking at solutions where I could just simply replace the Melco with one more piece of kit
The obvious ones for me appear to be the Innuos and Roon Nucleus products .
I would appreciate any input from any forum members who have been on a similar journey or are thinking about it as there appear to be numerous options and the more I read the more confusing it gets .
I am up in Newcastle and so it’s very difficult to audition too.

RE: Roon - the next step? - baddog - 04-Mar-2018

Just to be clear you do not want to use the AIR protocol built into Roon, correct?

Otherwise, I would recommend purchasing an Intel NUC and adding a second SSD to it, a 2TB SSD from Samsung should handle all your albums with ease.

Intel NUC i5 (NUC6I5SYH) with 8GB memory, small M.2 boot drive, and 2TB SSD. I run ROON Rock on it. You can playback both your FLAC files and use Tidal. Flawless in operation for me, and sounds wonderful via an ethernet connection. I have not tried using it with a USB connection to Devialet.

RE: Roon - the next step? - Womaz - 04-Mar-2018

(04-Mar-2018, 21:28)baddog Wrote: Just to be clear you do not want to use the AIR protocol built into Roon, correct?

Otherwise, I would recommend purchasing an Intel NUC and adding a second SSD to it, a 2TB SSD from Samsung should handle all your albums with ease.

Intel NUC i5 (NUC6I5SYH) with 8GB memory, small M.2 boot drive, and 2TB SSD. I run ROON Rock on it. You can playback both your FLAC files and use Tidal. Flawless in operation for me, and sounds wonderful via an ethernet connection. I have not tried using it with a USB connection to Devialet.

Oh and just to add it has to be a simple set up Smile i thought I would need Roon Core ?
Air and Roon did not sound good at all on my system

RE: Roon - the next step? - baddog - 04-Mar-2018

Ok well, you could get the Intel NUC, install Roon ROCK which is essential the OS for the NUC, and Roon Core. And purchase something like the SOtM sMS-200 which you would connect via USB to your Devialet.

RE: Roon - the next step? - Zappydev - 04-Mar-2018

(04-Mar-2018, 21:52)baddog Wrote: Ok well, you could get the Intel NUC, install Roon ROCK which is essential the OS for the NUC, and Roon Core. And purchase something like the SOtM sMS-200 which you would connect via USB to your Devialet.

You might go with the NUC/ROCK solution first, and have a listen via Roon Air over a wired connection before deciding whether to shell out on additional hardware just to get a decent USB signal . . . I’m not saying it can’t be bettered, but if you are looking for simplicity, then it’s about as easy as it comes.

RE: Roon - the next step? - ogs - 04-Mar-2018

Fully agree with baddog, but I'd try Roon/AIR from the NUC/ROCK device even if you've bought the SOtM 200. It just might sound better than your current experience..

RE: Roon - the next step? - Womaz - 05-Mar-2018

Thanks for the replies guys. I know this is an option and I wont rule it out but saving a few quid doesnt really turn me on as much as buying a product that is ready to go without me fiddling about. I am not good with technical stuff either so i think I would refer to go a more simplified route.
I have a very simple one room set up so i assumed the entry level Nucleus would do and thats not too expensive. Dont get me wrong I am no millionaire but I dont mind spending a bit of cash to get what I am looking for.

One of the things I am considering at present is a temporary solution, I need a back up lap top for my business anyway as I had a scare last month. So I can get a lap top for about £400 that will be higher spec than the one Roon Core currently sits on.
This lap top would sit on top of my hifi rack and be used solely for Roon. The downside is I would probably sell the Melco as it would not be getting used, so for a while I would not have access to my music collection, but I listen to my own collection so little these days I m not sure I would miss it . Also I have it all backed up on a MyPassport HD.

This would give me a temporary solution until i decide which way I go, as I would imagine there could be a lot more products coming to the market in the next 6 months or so.

Roon - the next step? - disarmamant - 05-Mar-2018

(05-Mar-2018, 08:35)Womaz Wrote: Thanks for the replies guys. I know this is an option and I wont rule it out but saving a few quid doesnt really turn me on as much as buying a product that is ready to go without me fiddling about. I am not good with technical stuff either so i think I would refer to go a more simplified route.
I have a very simple one room set up so i assumed the entry level Nucleus would do and thats not too expensive. Dont get me wrong I am no millionaire but I dont mind spending a bit of cash to get what I am looking for.

One of the things I am considering at present is a temporary solution, I need a back up lap top for my business anyway as I had a scare last month. So I can get a lap top for about £400 that will be higher spec than the one Roon Core currently sits on.
This lap top would sit on top of my hifi rack and be used solely for Roon. The downside is I would probably sell the Melco as it would not be getting used, so for a while I would not have access to my music collection, but I listen to my own collection so little these days I m not sure I would miss it . Also I have it all backed up on a MyPassport HD.

This would give me a temporary solution until i decide which way I go, as I would imagine there could be a lot more products coming to the market in the next 6 months or so.

I followed the thread you posted on the Roon forum about your findings with Roon compared with your Melco and the loose bass issue. Correct me if I’m wrong, but with the help of the Roon support guys it was concluded that the signal path you had with Roon was not a lossless path which maybe was the cause of the bass issue?

My setup is an old Dell Precision server running as a Linux based Vortexbox on which I installed the Linux version of Roon core. My Devialet 440 Pro is connected via wired Ethernet to the core and I control it with the Roon iPad app. The signal path I have could not be simpler and the sound quality is fabulous.

Having said that I’ve never tried connecting with USB to the Devialet.

It’s a pity your not closer as I’d happily bring my Roon Core server over for you to try. I’d be interested to hear the difference between Roon Air and the Melco.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(05-Mar-2018, 16:57)disarmamant Wrote:
(05-Mar-2018, 08:35)Womaz Wrote: Thanks for the replies guys. I know this is an option and I wont rule it out but saving a few quid doesnt really turn me on as much as buying a product that is ready to go without me fiddling about. I am not good with technical stuff either so i think I would refer to go a more simplified route.

I followed the thread you posted on the Roon forum about your findings with Roon compared with your Melco and the loose bass issue. Correct me if I’m wrong, but with the help of the Roon support guys it was concluded that the signal path you had with Roon was not a lossless path which maybe was the cause of the bass issue?

My setup is an old Dell Precision server running as a Linux based Vortexbox on which I installed the Linux version of Roon core. My Devialet 440 Pro is connected via wired Ethernet to the core and I control it with the Roon iPad app. The signal path I have could not be simpler and the sound quality is fabulous.

Having said that I’ve never tried connecting with USB to the Devialet.

It’s a pity your not closer as I’d happily bring my Roon Core server over for you to try. I’d be interested to hear the difference between Roon Air and the Melco.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the end the difference was down to the input. After help on the Roon Forum i eventually got a lossless path to the Dev using Ethernet, but it was a bit dull, the bass overpowered everything . When I connected my lap top with USB the magic was back, and the difference was considerable. Trust me it had to be for me to notice as I dont get hung up on small differences in sound.

OK the more I am reading about Roon ROCK and using an NUC the more I am interested. Using the same sort of spec as the Roon Nucleus the savings are considerable.

So now in my thoughts are the NUC option, the Innuos and Roon Nucleus. More or less decided I want access to my music collection so a HD is now essential. Any other ideas more than welcome and thanks for the posts so far.