Devialet Chat
Roon - the next step? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Roon - the next step? (/Thread-Roon-the-next-step)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Roon - the next step? - Hifi_swlon - 25-Oct-2018

If it’s not ‘night and day’ I’d just assume it doesnt make a difference and move on. I think most of the posts and implementation of this setup is mostly fashion/trend based on lots of subjective opinions of people who just love to tinker. Just because innuos and antipodes do it doesn’t mean you need it - they’ve got products to sell and need a way to convince you to buy them. If it’s really necessary you have to ask yourself why Devialet wouldn’t have included in the CI the Ethernet cleanup technology required.

RE: Roon - the next step? - David A - 25-Oct-2018

(25-Oct-2018, 01:46)audio_engr Wrote: I just realised that I used a USB-to-ETH adapter made by Apple when I used my Macbook Air as a source hence quickly inserted the USB into the Roon Nucleus and the Ethernet cable into the adapter from the router. The Audioquest Diamond moved directly to the Roon Nucleus and feeds the Devialets. 

Indeed - it works and does so well ... no hitches !!

I will need to evaluate whether this DIRECT Ethernet connection is preferred vs. via the switch ... (will let you guys know in a few days) 

Thanks to ALL for the great-great support !!

I hadn't thought of doing it that way. I assumed that the USB connections on the server were for things like attaching drives rather than it being possible to use them for a network connection because that's the suggestions that Antipodes make for their use on my DS. Now you have me intrigued and I may see about trying it myself but I don't have an adapter so it's either buy or borrow and I don't know if I want to buy.

(25-Oct-2018, 08:22)Hifi_swlon Wrote: …Just because innuos and antipodes do it doesn’t mean you need it - they’ve got products to sell and need a way to convince you to buy them. If it’s really necessary you have to ask yourself why Devialet wouldn’t have included in the CI the Ethernet cleanup technology required.

Just because a manufacturer selling a product is making some claim doesn't mean the claim is true or that I need the product but it also doesn't mean that the claim isn't true or that I don't need the product. Yes, they do try to convince people to buy their products but that doesn't mean that the products aren't worthwhile or that they don't work as claimed.

And if it's really necessary and Devialet didn't include it in the CI boarding also in the older amps without the CI board which would also benefit from it if it's necessary then what we really have to ask ourselves given that it is necessary is what's the best way of going about getting that benefit in our setups. Asking why Devialet didn't do anything about it, and even getting an answer, doesn't do anything to solve the issue and if it is really necessary then there is an issue.

Is there an issue? Is what Innuos and Antipodes and maybe some others say correct and does a direct network connection between server and Devialet offer genuine benefits? I don't know but nothing you said in your post goes to prove that there is or isn't an issue. What we have is an absence of proof one way or the other. Absence of proof for a claim doesn't mean that the claim is true, and absence of proof for a rejection of the claim doesn't mean that the rejection is wrong. Absence of proof just means no one knows for certain one way or another so we should exercise caution when voting with our wallets and whatever way we eventually choose to do there is a chance that we will have made the wrong choice. Buy the claims and buy the product and if you're lucky you get real benefits, if you're unlucky you've wasted money. Don't buy the claims and don't buy the product and if you're lucky you're no worse off, if you're unlucky then you've missed out on something that could have been beneficial to you. Take your choice, we all do. Choosing to buy and choosing not to buy are both decisions which are consciously made and in the absence of proof one way or another there's no way to tell which is the right decision.

RE: Roon - the next step? - Pim - 25-Oct-2018

(25-Oct-2018, 08:22)Hifi_swlon Wrote: If it’s really necessary you have to ask yourself why Devialet wouldn’t have included in the CI the Ethernet cleanup technology required.

That's one of those questions that seems to always stay unanswered. What do DAC manufacturers do inside and how much does it matter? After all, when you design a DAC, your job is to make it sound the best it can be. So if cleaning up the incoming signal has a big impact on SQ then why wouldn't they?

RE: Roon - the next step? - thumb5 - 25-Oct-2018

I take it those are rhetorical questions, @Pim ?

RE: Roon - the next step? - Confused - 25-Oct-2018

(25-Oct-2018, 10:34)Pim Wrote: david
(25-Oct-2018, 08:22)Hifi_swlon Wrote: If it’s really necessary you have to ask yourself why Devialet wouldn’t have included in the CI the Ethernet cleanup technology required.

That's one of those questions that seems to always stay unanswered. What do DAC manufacturers do inside and how much does it matter? After all, when you design a DAC, your job is to make it sound the best it can be. So if cleaning up the incoming signal has a big impact on SQ then why wouldn't they?

Cost.

Conflict with other design criteria, most designs are a compromise between conflicting requirements.

Belief (rightly or wrongly) that it is not required and is a non-issue.

Not enough room in the case.

They included this in the design, it did not perform as expected, they ran out of time and removed the feature.

Their measuring equipment could not detect an issue, so they assumed (rightly or wrongly) that no issue exists.

Shortage of talent or experience in some areas of the design team

They realised at the start of the CI project that schedule constrains meant that certain features needed to be dropped

Management over-ruling the design team

Who knows.

BTW - @David A - excellent post, some wise words. (#154)

RE: Roon - the next step? - Hifi_swlon - 25-Oct-2018

Or it wasn’t needed of course, or it was and they did it. Smile

Anyway, sorry Womaz, forgot this was your Roon topic. I’ll drop out of the source discussion.

RE: Roon - the next step? - thumb5 - 08-Nov-2018

Just noticed this review of the Nucleus+ on Hifi Pig (linked from the Roon forum) and thought it might be helpful to post here.

RE: Roon - the next step? - Sailor4W - 09-Nov-2018

Sorry to chime in so late! I am basically in the same situation: through many trials and errors I managed to get Roon running stably with my Expert 120 through Ethernet hardwiring. I also have an Aurender N100H connected via USB. Comparing Roon via Ethernet and Aurender N100H USB connected, the SQ of the Aurender beats Roon, cleaner and less harshness. I would gladly prefer Roon‘s flashy app, so I am also looking into a USB-connected streamer capable of running Roon Core. Choices seem to be slim.

RE: Roon - the next step? - midi - 09-Nov-2018

(09-Nov-2018, 10:29)Sailor4W Wrote: Sorry to chime in so late! I am basically in the same situation: through many trials and errors I managed to get Roon running stably with my Expert 120 through Ethernet hardwiring. I also have an Aurender N100H connected via USB. Comparing Roon via Ethernet and Aurender N100H USB connected, the SQ of the Aurender beats Roon, cleaner and less harshness. I would gladly prefer Roon‘s flashy app, so I am also looking into a USB-connected streamer capable of running Roon Core. Choices seem to be slim.

Choice: INNUOS MK II or MK III

RE: Roon - the next step? - Sailor4W - 09-Nov-2018

(09-Nov-2018, 16:18)midi Wrote:
(09-Nov-2018, 10:29)Sailor4W Wrote: Sorry to chime in so late! I am basically in the same situation: through many trials and errors I managed to get Roon running stably with my Expert 120 through Ethernet hardwiring. I also have an Aurender N100H connected via USB. Comparing Roon via Ethernet and Aurender N100H USB connected, the SQ of the Aurender beats Roon, cleaner and less harshness. I would gladly prefer Roon‘s flashy app, so I am also looking into a USB-connected streamer capable of running Roon Core. Choices seem to be slim.

Choice: INNUOS MK II or MK III
So, what‘s the difference between MK II and III? I somewhere read that the CPUs of theInnuos are not according to Roon‘s specifications. Has this been sorted out in the MK IIIs?