Devialet Chat
Roon - the next step? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Roon - the next step? (/Thread-Roon-the-next-step)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Roon - the next step? - Rocketmannequin - 10-Mar-2018

If you change your mind about the SQ and practicality of Tidal with Roon, you may also come to the conclusion that Spotify Connect built in to the Dev directly, connected by Ethernet to your router along with the great ease and simplicity of Spotify, is a winning combination!

RE: Roon - the next step? - mdconnelly - 11-Mar-2018

My wife and I both use our iPads to control Roon. I've got an iPad Pro and she has an iPad Mini. I've had absolutely no problems at all, but occasionally, the Roon app on her iPad Mini will simply not connect. Even closing and reopening the Roon app didn't help. Power cycling the iPad, however, got it working again. Doesn't happen often but it has occurred more than once. Strange. I figure it must have something to do with her taste in music ;-)

RE: Roon - the next step? - midi - 11-Mar-2018

(10-Mar-2018, 20:03)Rocketmannequin Wrote: If you change your mind about the SQ and practicality of Tidal with Roon, you may also come to the conclusion that Spotify Connect built in to the Dev directly, connected by Ethernet to your router along with the great ease and simplicity of Spotify, is a winning combination!

Spotify connect built in into the Experts and Phantoms is a real winner. Fast and easy, and I have still doubts that more than 5% could hear a SQ difference between both (when Spotify is selected at high quality) or could tell in a blind test which one has the better SQ.

I am sure ROON will get a lot of problems, when they will not integrate another streaming service in the future. TIDAL itself will probably get in trouble in the next years.

And then a ROON lifetime licence is cash burner.

I see only DEEZER, which could be interested to cooperate with ROON for the moment.

RE: Roon - the next step? - petrik - 11-Mar-2018

(11-Mar-2018, 09:43)midi Wrote: Spotify connect built in into the Experts and Phantoms is a real winner. Fast and easy, and I have still doubts that more than 5% could hear a SQ difference between both (when Spotify is selected at high quality) or could tell in a blind test which one has the better SQ.

Hmm. So you are suggesting Womaz to use Spotify Connect. But I'm not sure have you noticed that Womaz doesn't have the Core Infinity board so he doesn't have Spotify Connect as an option.

Secondly, Womaz hears a clear difference between Ethernet and USB connections with the Expert when streaming lossless music. I'm quite sure he would not be happy with Spotify's SQ...

RE: Roon - the next step? - cereal killer - 11-Mar-2018

Spotify SQ is poor, I've even found a few albums on TIDAL HiFi to be a bit shit, i have compared both mine and online versions, locally stored sounds considerably better, not just to me but also to my partner, she isn't into HiFi in any sense but does love music. Flicking between the album/s which she has no idea which version is playing, identifies the local file 100%

(11-Mar-2018, 10:05)petrik Wrote:
(11-Mar-2018, 09:43)midi Wrote: Spotify connect built in into the Experts and Phantoms is a real winner. Fast and easy, and I have still doubts that more than 5% could hear a SQ difference between both (when Spotify is selected at high quality) or could tell in a blind test which one has the better SQ.

Hmm. So you are suggesting Womaz to use Spotify Connect. But I'm not sure have you noticed that Womaz doesn't have the Core Infinity board so he doesn't have Spotify Connect as an option.

Secondly, Womaz hears a clear difference between Ethernet and USB connections with the Expert when streaming lossless music. I'm quite sure he would not be happy with Spotify's SQ...

My post was an answer to Rocketmannequin, not a suggestion for Womaz. But: I think it is necessary to separate the discussion hearing with a streaming service and streame local music from a server connected via USB oder ethernet.

(11-Mar-2018, 11:45)cereal killer Wrote: Spotify SQ is poor, I've even found a few albums on TIDAL HiFi to be a bit shit, i have compared both mine and online versions, locally stored sounds considerably better, not just to me but also to my partner, she isn't into HiFi in any sense but does love music. Flicking between the album/s which she has no idea which version is playing, identifies the local file 100%

I do not understand. You are talking about „mine and online versions“. I am with you, that locally stored stuff sounds (probably) better. But I compared only to streaming services: Spotify and Tidal.

RE: Roon - the next step? - Womaz - 11-Mar-2018

I used Spotify for a year or so through my PS4 to the Devialet and I found the SQ poor if I am honest . Sounded thin and bright to me. I also think it must be quite inferior in my system as I am not one to continually worry about it. So in my opinion it must be inferior for it to bother me. Mind I think tidal could learn a lot from Spotify

I also use an iPad pro so o will how Roon works over the next few weeks . Some great posts guys thanks

(11-Mar-2018, 12:27)Womaz Wrote: I used Spotify for a year or so through my PS4 to the Devialet and I found the SQ poor if I am honest . Sounded thin and bright to me. I also think it must be quite inferior in my system as I am not one to continually worry about it. So in my opinion it must be inferior for it to bother me. Mind I think tidal could learn a lot from Spotify

I also use an iPad pro so o will how Roon works over the next few weeks . Some great posts guys thanks

I never used Spotify with a third party device (I think this is an other point), only now with Spotify connect and like some others here I like the SQ with Spotify connect, in combination with the useability I think it is unbeatable this time and I have tried all services and streaming technologies and devices (DEEZER, Qobuz, TIDAL, Apple Music, DEV AIR, ROON AIR, Apple AirPlay, BT; Spark, Audirvana, UPnP, Amarra, VOX). If SQ is your first point, you should go with Qobuz (sadly no way with ROON).

But yes, you would need for the most points the CI upgrade (I think which is worth the money).

RE: Roon - the next step? - Womaz - 11-Mar-2018

@midi I have used Qobuz too for a short period. To be honest to my ears it sounded the same as TIDAL
Like I say I am not one to get hung up on small differences. Spotify not an option for me as I just have the dev 200