Devialet Chat
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Tweaker's Corner (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Tweaker-s-Corner)
+--- Thread: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation (/Thread-Audiophile-Grade-Ethernet-Switches-The-new-generation)

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - baconbrain - 07-Jun-2019

(06-Jun-2019, 10:46)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(06-Jun-2019, 07:10)Johnnydev Wrote: Any news GuillaumeB or someone els?

Well indeed!  Smile

I was very happy with the single SOtM switch, essentially replacing the AQVOX. As I think I reported previously this was an instant improvement. 

Then 10 days or so ago the second switch arrived. I connected this to the other SOtM using an ethernet cable. Very happy with the result, basically more of the same.

Once I had received the correct transceivers (long story) I was able to try connecting the two SOtM units via fibre. This also had quite a big effect but one that I didn't really like. Switching back to an ethernet connection between the two units confirmed my impressions. I could hear that the optical connection did some good things (soundstage even deeper, noise floor even lower) but I didn't really enjoy the music. Perhaps the transceivers needed more time to settle? I have no idea.

I then installed a bridge between my router and office switch (which feeds my SOtM), using the same transceivers and some media converters from FS.com (https://www.fs.com/uk/products/35333.html). 

Now this was REALLY interesting, it made a massive difference! To the point where my brain is almost struggling to make sense of things. I know it's better - in "hi-fi" terms - but there is some kind of cognitive dissonance going on. I am gradually coming round to the idea that perhaps I just need a bit of time to get used to things. It's like the presentation of music has changed quite a bit and I can't quite work out whether I like it or not. There are some good moments, then moments where I am not so sure. 

So over the next few days I will try removing things to understand what is going on and work out which combinations I prefer. 

And I have just heard that the Gold M12 is being sent to me tomorrow, so that should arrive next week.  Smile

Guillaume
Interesting feedback. In particular the “cognitive dissonance” experience. That also occurred once with me when I was experimenting with the shielding for one of my ethernet connections. (didn’t own the switch at the time)

I have placed my fiber optics experiment on hold at the moment. Can’t seem to find the time required to figure out what exactly I need, not to mention laying cable, etc. Sad

My impression of the switch is a bit of a mixed bag. With my “pre”-switch setup, I had bridged my Melco, Zenith, and Trinnov directly with each other, therefore taking a switch completely out of the equation. Now I have connected each component to the switch and the results are “slightly” better than the bridged setup. Also, if I compare a direct ethernet based connection (incl. switch) to my Roon Ready Trinnov versus a USB based connection via my Mutec MC-3, I still prefer the sound signature of the USB connection over the Ethernet one. One thing which has definitely improved is DVD Audio streaming from my Oppo. Clearly a distinct uplift in SQ there.

The journey continues ....

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Johnnydev - 08-Jun-2019

(07-Jun-2019, 18:12)baconbrain Wrote:
(06-Jun-2019, 10:46)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(06-Jun-2019, 07:10)Johnnydev Wrote: Any news GuillaumeB or someone els?

Well indeed!  Smile

I was very happy with the single SOtM switch, essentially replacing the AQVOX. As I think I reported previously this was an instant improvement. 

Then 10 days or so ago the second switch arrived. I connected this to the other SOtM using an ethernet cable. Very happy with the result, basically more of the same.

Once I had received the correct transceivers (long story) I was able to try connecting the two SOtM units via fibre. This also had quite a big effect but one that I didn't really like. Switching back to an ethernet connection between the two units confirmed my impressions. I could hear that the optical connection did some good things (soundstage even deeper, noise floor even lower) but I didn't really enjoy the music. Perhaps the transceivers needed more time to settle? I have no idea.

I then installed a bridge between my router and office switch (which feeds my SOtM), using the same transceivers and some media converters from FS.com (https://www.fs.com/uk/products/35333.html). 

Now this was REALLY interesting, it made a massive difference! To the point where my brain is almost struggling to make sense of things. I know it's better - in "hi-fi" terms - but there is some kind of cognitive dissonance going on. I am gradually coming round to the idea that perhaps I just need a bit of time to get used to things. It's like the presentation of music has changed quite a bit and I can't quite work out whether I like it or not. There are some good moments, then moments where I am not so sure. 

So over the next few days I will try removing things to understand what is going on and work out which combinations I prefer. 

And I have just heard that the Gold M12 is being sent to me tomorrow, so that should arrive next week.  Smile

Guillaume
Interesting feedback. In particular the “cognitive dissonance” experience. That also occurred once with me when I was experimenting with the shielding for one of my ethernet connections. (didn’t own the switch at the time)

I have placed my fiber optics experiment on hold at the moment. Can’t seem to find the time required to figure out what exactly I need, not to mention laying cable, etc. Sad

My impression of the switch is a bit of a mixed bag. With my “pre”-switch setup, I had bridged my Melco, Zenith, and Trinnov directly with each other, therefore taking a switch completely out of the equation. Now I have connected each component to the switch and the results are “slightly” better than the bridged setup. Also, if I compare a direct ethernet based connection (incl. switch) to my Roon Ready Trinnov versus a USB based connection via my Mutec MC-3, I still prefer the sound signature of the USB connection over the Ethernet one. One thing which has definitely improved is DVD Audio streaming from my Oppo. Clearly a distinct uplift in SQ there.

The journey continues ....

Please Can you tell something more about your shielding experience ?

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - baconbrain - 08-Jun-2019

(08-Jun-2019, 20:24)Johnnydev Wrote: Please Can you tell something more about your shielding experience ?

Well perhaps shielding is not the proper term. At the time, I was trying different constellations of the GISO Isolator which according to the manufacturer was „For the galvanic isolation of network data cables for audio use“.

I had connected it between my Router and Melco in a couple of different ways (with the provided interconnect, without, and in different directions) and one of the constellations really changed the sound signature. In some of the passages the sound was extremely spacious and sounded almost surreal but it others it was over the top. To much of a good thing and more artificial.

Not sure if this mirrors Guillaume‘s experience, but there was definitely some „dissonance“ going on.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - GuillaumeB - 10-Jun-2019

(08-Jun-2019, 23:01)baconbrain Wrote:
(08-Jun-2019, 20:24)Johnnydev Wrote: Please Can you tell something more about your shielding experience ?

Well perhaps shielding is not the proper term. At the time, I was trying different constellations of the GISO Isolator which according to the manufacturer was „For the galvanic isolation of network data cables for audio use“.

I had connected it between my Router and Melco in a couple of different ways (with the provided interconnect, without, and in different directions) and one of the constellations really changed the sound signature. In some of the passages the sound was extremely spacious and sounded almost surreal but it others it was over the top. To much of a good thing and more artificial.

Not sure if this mirrors Guillaume‘s experience, but there was definitely some „dissonance“ going on.

Very interesting bacon!

This "extremely spacious and sounded almost surreal" description is exactly what I heard with the optical bridge between router and first (office) switch which feeds the SOtMs. On some tracks it was hugely impressive but something just didn't feel right, an observation confirmed by reverting to the normal Cat 7 run from router to switch.

The SOtMs daisy chained are great though but I need to revert back to one to properly evaluate the benefit of the second unit. My feeling is that it is a very worthwhile application but obviously this comes at considerable financial cost.   

The Gold M12 unit is arriving later this week and I am really looking forward to this. It will be interesting to see how it compares to 1 and 2 SOtMs. 

Cheers,

Guillaume

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - GuillaumeB - 10-Jun-2019

(10-Jun-2019, 13:37)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(08-Jun-2019, 23:01)baconbrain Wrote:

Very interesting bacon!

This "extremely spacious and sounded almost surreal" description is exactly what I heard with the optical bridge between router and first (office) switch which feeds the SOtMs. On some tracks it was hugely impressive but something just didn't feel right, an observation confirmed by reverting to the normal Cat 7 run from router to switch.

The SOtMs daisy chained are great though but I need to revert back to one to properly evaluate the benefit of the second unit. My feeling is that it is a very worthwhile application but obviously this comes at considerable financial cost.   

The Gold M12 unit is arriving later this week and I am really looking forward to this. It will be interesting to see how it compares to 1 and 2 SOtMs. 

Cheers,

Guillaume

So I just took out the second SOtM switch out of my system. This is very easy to do quickly. The second one definitely improves the sound, but it’s certainly not twice as good with it in! Not exactly great value for money.

I then decided to swap out my Draytek switch in the study and replace with the SOtM. Now this is very interesting, it feels like a bigger jump in SQ!

So the SOtMs are still bridged, just a longer run of Ethernet... 

I will leave this in running and see what else I can make out.  Cool

Guillaume

And now I have just reintroduced the bridge between router and SOtM, only using one media converter now since the SOtM has an SFP port.

Initial impressions: everything goes more 3D and this seems better than the last bridge experiment using 2 converters before the study switch. It’s more airy/3D yet feels a bit more planted than last time round.

Yet I just can’t quite make up my mind with these optical bridges! Let’s see how this goes...

Guillaume

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - baconbrain - 14-Jun-2019

(10-Jun-2019, 13:37)GuillaumeB Wrote: The Gold M12 unit is arriving later this week and I am really looking forward to this. It will be interesting to see how it compares to 1 and 2 SOtMs. 

Looking forward to reading your impressions.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Johnnydev - 14-Jun-2019

(14-Jun-2019, 16:26)baconbrain Wrote:
(10-Jun-2019, 13:37)GuillaumeB Wrote: The Gold M12 unit is arriving later this week and I am really looking forward to this. It will be interesting to see how it compares to 1 and 2 SOtMs. 

Looking forward to reading your impressions.

+1

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Antoine - 16-Jun-2019

+1 and thanks for sharing Guillaume! Smile

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Confused - 16-Jun-2019

Thinking about this, a JCat M12 Gold versus SOtM sNH-10G /  SOtM sNH-10G x 2 comparison is almost certainly a world first?  No pressure Guillaume....   but I suspect this one might attract some interest. Shy

Just as an aside, I did have a bit of a chuckle about the “cognitive dissonance” term.  Not that this is a funny term in itself, it is just that when I read it I thought "eh?", then realised that “cognitive dissonance” superbly describes exactly what I have been experiencing in my system over the last year.  A case of try something, do an A/B comparison, and yes, it sounds much improved, then over a little time, you sometimes find the system irritating you, something is not right.  I suspect that the “cognitive dissonance” described by Guillaume and baconbrain are caused by different things than I have been experiencing, but I wonder if they are somehow related, with ever improved kit somehow allowing very minor niggles to become apparent.  As an example, surely adding a fibre link that eliminates all upstream noise can only be beneficial?  But it seams that very subtle factors are at play, and quite what they are doing no one really seams to know, but “cognitive dissonance” seams to be an ever increasing result these days.  As a different example, my recent "roll back" of the sMS-200 firmware has reduced my own levels of cognitive dissonance, but I have no idea why this should be, I am just grateful that I kept a copy of the firmware I liked on a spare SD card.

Anyway, good luck with the comparison, it should be fascinating, assuming that you can observe any kind of difference, in theory they should provide almost identical results at this level, should they not?  Or maybe not? Huh