Devialet Chat
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Tweaker's Corner (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Tweaker-s-Corner)
+--- Thread: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation (/Thread-Audiophile-Grade-Ethernet-Switches-The-new-generation)

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - mayowa - 11-Nov-2019

I currently use AIR Wifi via Roon, with my wireless Netgear router sat close to my Devialet 200.

I would be very interested if someone would be able to post a listening impression comparing AIR Wifi to AIR Ethernet with the EtherREGEN directly connected between their router and the Ethernet input of the Devialet, ie direct without an endpoint in the chain.

I would like to see if just one device would make a discernible improvement to the audio quality. Up till now I have always been happy to have avoided the expense and extra clutter of having several devices in the audio chain from my laptop to the Devialet.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Antoine - 11-Nov-2019

(10-Nov-2019, 17:13)octaviars Wrote: @Antoine dont the simplified version look really tempting Smile 

My set-up with the etherRegen will be like this.

Yes it does look tempting, but it has to be better.  Smile I owe it to myself to test this one day, should be easy enough. But “unfortunately” the first person (Larry/lmitche) who tested whether upstream changes (in this case the server connected to the A side of the ER) still had an effect reported they do and even more than before.

(10-Nov-2019, 20:33)baconbrain Wrote:
(10-Nov-2019, 16:05)Antoine Wrote: Now if only AIR/RAAT would be stable and sound as good (perhaps it will, don’t know right now!) and anything upstream of the etherREGEN would not matter in any way it would be possible to simplify my setup massively

My gut feeling tells me that you will still prefer the USB / AES connection over RAAT ... Smile

Time and some ‘empirical research’ as in testing and listening will tell!  Smile

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - thumb5 - 11-Nov-2019

(11-Nov-2019, 15:24)Antoine Wrote: ...
Yes it does look tempting, but it has to be better.  Smile I owe it to myself to test this one day, should be easy enough. But “unfortunately” the first person (Larry/lmitche) who tested whether upstream changes (in this case the server connected to the A side of the ER) still had an effect reported they do and even more than before.

That suggests to me either that the perceived changes are psychological (e.g. due to bias), or that the theory and/or engineering of the EtherRegen are flawed.  My money would be on the former -- not that anyone should care Smile

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Antoine - 11-Nov-2019

(11-Nov-2019, 16:05)thumb5 Wrote:
(11-Nov-2019, 15:24)Antoine Wrote: ...

That suggests to me either that the perceived changes are psychological (e.g. due to bias), or that the theory and/or engineering of the EtherRegen are flawed.  My money would be on the former -- not that anyone should care Smile

To be honest the same exact thoughts always cross my mind as well until I hear for myself (or not). Not that I’m not susceptible to any kind of suggestion or bias of course. Smile

I did ask Larry to confirm if it really was the server upstream on the A side (and not the DAC attached endpoint on the ‘fully optimized’ B-side) and he just confirmed. First and only ‘data point’ thus far claiming this so I’m curious if others will report similar findings or the opposite like Alex of Uptone did.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - octaviars - 11-Nov-2019

@Antoine I am not surprised that it will be exactly as before the etherRegen no matter what Uptone says it will do. Upstream, downstream, internal/external clock, cables, powersupplys all this will make a differenc to some and some will claim it will not do anything so the wheel will just keep spinning as it did before Smile

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Flashman - 13-Nov-2019

(03-Nov-2019, 11:48)Antoine Wrote: And another new kid on the block! Smile

http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/etherstream-network-switch/
It'll be interesting to get Srajan's opinion/review of this switch.  It's listed on his 6 Moons preview page.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Antoine - 15-Nov-2019

I had planned to be at home all day today to receive the etherREGEN, except for just one hour and of course right then the Fedex delivery guy stopped by! Sad Smile

So I had to make a new appointment, Fedex will come again Monday morning. So no ER for me this weekend, oh well!

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Antoine - 15-Nov-2019

(11-Nov-2019, 17:20)octaviars Wrote: @Antoine I am not surprised that it will be exactly as before the etherRegen no matter what Uptone says it will do. Upstream, downstream, internal/external clock, cables, powersupplys all this will make a differenc to some and some will claim it will not do anything so the wheel will just keep spinning as it did before Smile

Yes, I guess you’re right!  Smile It’s interesting though now more and more people are sharing what they hear en describing their systems.

(13-Nov-2019, 13:37)Flashman Wrote:
(03-Nov-2019, 11:48)Antoine Wrote: And another new kid on the block! Smile

http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/etherstream-network-switch/
It'll be interesting to get Srajan's opinion/review of this switch.  It's listed on his 6 Moons preview page.

Thanks for sharing, I’ll keep an eye on it.  Smile

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - baconbrain - 16-Nov-2019

(15-Nov-2019, 16:11)Antoine Wrote: I had planned to be at home all day today to receive the etherREGEN, except for just one hour and of course right then the Fedex delivery guy stopped by! Sad Smile

So I had to make a new appointment, Fedex will come again Monday morning. So no ER for me this weekend, oh well!

Why does that always happen when one is waiting for new toys? If it would have been a delivery for a vacuum cleaner, you would have it by now ...

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Antoine - 17-Nov-2019

(16-Nov-2019, 09:09)baconbrain Wrote:
(15-Nov-2019, 16:11)Antoine Wrote: I had planned to be at home all day today to receive the etherREGEN, except for just one hour and of course right then the Fedex delivery guy stopped by! Sad Smile

Why does that always happen when one is waiting for new toys? If it would have been a delivery for a vacuum cleaner, you would have it by now ...

So true!! (unfortunately  Big Grin)

Tomorrow morning I’ll stay right at home until it’s been delivered!  Blush