Devialet Chat
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Tweaker's Corner (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Tweaker-s-Corner)
+--- Thread: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation (/Thread-Audiophile-Grade-Ethernet-Switches-The-new-generation)

"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Elztalbiker - 18-Dec-2019

Today installed network switch Silent Angel Bonn N8.

Dramatic performance increase and no more message about slowly loading tidal.

Happiest day since a view month.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Flashman - 18-Dec-2019

(18-Dec-2019, 18:49)Elztalbiker Wrote: Today installed network switch Silent  Angel Bonn N8.

Dramatic performance increase and no more message about slowly loading tidal.

Happiest day since a view month.

@Elztalbiker Glad that the Bonn N8 has a nice performance boost for you.  A few of us on this board have had good success with it!  When you say it helps on slowly loading Tidal, are you one of the people that had troubles with Devialet, Roon and gigabit Ethernet?  If yes, have these problems gone away?

"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Elztalbiker - 19-Dec-2019

Yes, I had this trouble. Tidal>Roon>Devialet. Now it‘s gone .

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - kerkhoffd - 19-Dec-2019

Good for you @Elztalbiker. I have the same experience with the Bonn N8 switch sound-quality wise. Amazing a switch can make such a big difference.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - zambie - 20-Dec-2019

Stupid question - but despite browsing through some of the comments, haven't quite been able to figure this out *definitively*. I think something like the etherregen wouldn't work for my current setup. For a sound setup like the one I describe below, can I
(a) even use it and if I can,
(b) would there be any benefits of using something like a etherregen?

Roon RAAT (laptop/ mac) >> wireless data tx to router >> ethernet cable to devialet

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - David A - 20-Dec-2019

(20-Dec-2019, 05:23)zambie Wrote: Stupid question - but despite browsing through some of the comments, haven't quite been able to figure this out *definitively*. I think something like the etherregen wouldn't work for my current setup. For a sound setup like the one I describe below, can I
(a) even use it and if I can,
(b) would there be any benefits of using something like a etherregen?

Roon RAAT (laptop/ mac) >> wireless data tx to router >> ethernet cable to devialet

Basically think of it as an ethernet switch which is also intended to provide a better ethernet signal so it has multiple ethernet ins and a single ethernet out if you use it in the normal configuration. In your system you could use it between your router and your Devialet. It would not be performing any switch functions used there but you would get the benefits it provides regarding signal improvement. 

In other words, if the positive reports of sound quality improvement you've read here are correct. then you would expect to hear similar improvements in your system with it connected between your router and your Devialet.

On the other hand, if those who say the etheregen does nothing are correct, then there would be no benefits to using it at all. Mine should arrive next month so I'll get to learn if there are any benefits then.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - mdconnelly - 21-Dec-2019

(19-Dec-2019, 06:57)Elztalbiker Wrote: Yes, I had this trouble. Tidal>Roon>Devialet. Now it‘s gone .

It appears that the Bonn N8 is all gigabit ethernet.   So if Roon RAAT to your Expert Pro now works flawlessly via the Bonn N8 where before it did not (at gigabit speed) then that's a huge win (in addition, of course, to all the other sound quality benefits it would seem).

"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Elztalbiker - 22-Dec-2019

@mdconnely

that is absolute correct - i don‘t will miss it

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Confused - 22-Dec-2019

I have tried a few experiments with the EtherRegen this weekend. I wanted to post this in my own system thread, to keep the history and context together. Here is a link to the post, as it would be relevant to anyone reading though this thread in the future:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-A-Confused-streaming-system-Mutec-SOtM-Ultra?pid=89313#pid89313

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Flashman - 22-Dec-2019

I stumbled on the NuPrime Omnia SW-8, which is licensed from Thunder Data, parent company of Silent Angel.

It's a (Silent Angel) Bonn N8 with upgraded power supply and aluminum chassis. The Bonn N8 is listed at USD399, so the NuPrime is priced very competitively at USD449, though I have seen it on other dealer sites for as low as USD429.

A few thoughts:
-- Licensing the Bonn N8 is a nice validation of its price/performance
-- The price of the NuPrime is only USD49 or USD29 more, which is marginal if you are getting a better power supply and aluminum chassis. Curious marketing strategy by Thunder Data!