Devialet Chat
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Tweaker's Corner (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Tweaker-s-Corner)
+--- Thread: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation (/Thread-Audiophile-Grade-Ethernet-Switches-The-new-generation)

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Superdad - 05-Jan-2020

(05-Jan-2020, 00:55)Snoopy8 Wrote: @Superdad, welcome to the forum.

Thanks very much Snoopy! And Happy New Years to all here. I meant to end my above post on a different note, but accidentally hit the Post Reply button while editing—and then had to wait a couple of hours while the moderatore approved my very first post here.

Seems like a great forum populated by some very smart people. I don’t own any Devialet gear, but have long admired and respected both the tech and aesthetics they bring to the audio arts.

While I don’t have time to actively participate on multiple forums, I’ll try to keep an eye here and am happy to answer any reasonable questions.

Best,
—Alex C.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - kerkhoffd - 05-Jan-2020

(05-Jan-2020, 00:55)Snoopy8 Wrote: @Superdad, welcome to the forum. 

Compared with many forums, we have had a relatively tame thread on the EtherREGEN and people here have had a civil, but at times long winded, discussion.  It is a reflection of this community that we do not need heavy moderation and threads have not been shutdown.

Thank god for that. Most civilized forum I am on, and thankful for it.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - David A - 05-Jan-2020

(04-Jan-2020, 23:08)Superda Wrote: Hi David:
Alex from UpTone here.
I need to correct you on your above speculation. As of this morning we have 396 unfilled EtherREGEN orders (putting us over the 1,000 units order mark), not counting the forward orders that our dealers have scheduled for coming months. Of those, only 98 of them were placed prior to first users receiving their units and beginning to post their impressions on November 9th.
So yes, about 600 units were ordered based on:
a) our extreme openness about the unique technical design;
b) faith in our firm having produced (and delivered on time) a number of other groundbreaking products in the past;
c) the reasonable price of the EtherREGEN combined with our 30-day, money-back guarantee.
But as you can see, a lot of orders have been based on subsequent user reviews.

As for anybody who thinks that we are limiting production as a "marketing strategy" to generate interest or demand, all I can say is that notion can only come from people who have never produced and sold products. Available products always sell faster than products on long back-order. There are a half-dozen factors limiting our production capacity (including world shortage of expensive differential isolators and one-of-a-kind differential flip-flops), not to mention the hundreds of thousands of dollars swings involved in pre-paying for production parts.

There are a number of other factually incorrect postulations that I spotted when I read this entire long thread last night, but for now I will let them slide. I simply have too much work to do this weekend--assuring that all 250 of the January-promised EtherREGENs get built and shipped out on time, as well as 20 JS-2s.
----

You and others have brought up ASR several times:
The trouble with the folks at AudioScienceReview is they do not understand, nor do they seem interested in learning about, the underlying issues of how common-mode deterministic jitter propagates in audio systems--including on packet-data interfaces such as Ethernet and USB—and thus induces voltage-change noise on ground-planes PCBs and chips, resulting in movement of clock thresholds.

People at ASR understand only the bits and the networking. But that is not what people are hearing with EtherREGEN and other clocking and digital cabling products.  So they shout blindly and call us “snake oil.”  Just remember all the medical scientists who were ridiculed when they first told others about germs…
…(edit - text removed)…
I could go on, but there is no point. We will be publishing a bit about the theory behind this stuff--and it applies not just to the EtherREGEN, but to other Ethernet and USB devices--as well as some interesting measurements. The fingers-in-their-ears naysayers—at ASR and elsewhere—will still just dismiss and deride it, but that’s okay.  What the EtherREGEN does is VERY easy to hear and users are quite happy.

Alex,

Thanks for your reply but I think y ou misunderstood the point I was making about units selling as fast as they could be made,. My point was simply that orders placed before the first customers started receiving theirs and commenting about their experience were made for one set of reasons, orders placed after people started getting them in their hands and commenting on their experience were made for very different reasons. You can't draw any conclusions about the product from orders placed before anyone got one in their hands, but if a product continues to sell strongly after people start taking delivery and commenting on their experience then there are conclusions that can be drawn from that fact and those conclusions are positive conclusions. Things that don't work stop selling fast as word spreads and products that do continue to sell well only do so because they're regarded as worthwhile products.

If you really want to do something for me, use a time machine to ship mine a fortnight ago so I can get it tomorrow <joke>. Failing that, don't waste too much time dealing with substandard criticism based on unsupported inferences drawn form inconclusive results, just keep putting EtherREGENs together and getting them out the door to everyone with an unfulfilled order. I'm looking forward to getting mine soon and I'm sure everyone else still waiting is looking forward to getting theirs as well.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - thumb5 - 05-Jan-2020

Hello Alex,

(04-Jan-2020, 23:08)Superdad Wrote: The trouble with the folks at AudioScienceReview is they do not understand, nor do they seem interested in learning about, the underlying issues of how common-mode deterministic jitter propagates in audio systems--including on packet-data interfaces such as Ethernet and USB—and thus induces voltage-change noise on ground-planes PCBs and chips, resulting in movement of clock thresholds.

For the benefit of those of us who would like to understand and learn, please can you give a technical definition of common-mode deterministic jitter (I understand each of those terms on their own but haven't seen them all in that combination before), and explain how its effects may be objectively observed in a streaming DAC?  That would be most helpful, thanks.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Confused - 05-Jan-2020

(04-Jan-2020, 23:08)Superdad Wrote: There are a number of other factually incorrect postulations that I spotted when I read this entire long thread last night, but for now I will let them slide. I simply have too much work to do this weekend--assuring that all 250 of the January-promised EtherREGENs get built and shipped out on time, as well as 20 JS-2s.

I could go on, but there is no point. We will be publishing a bit about the theory behind this stuff--and it applies not just to the EtherREGEN, but to other Ethernet and USB devices--as well as some interesting measurements. The fingers-in-their-ears naysayers—at ASR and elsewhere—will still just dismiss and deride it, but that’s okay.  What the EtherREGEN does is VERY easy to hear and users are quite happy.
Alex - Can I too offer a warm welcome to the forum.  Manufacturer involvement is typically very welcome here (as long as industry affiliation is stated, as you have done).  I think Devialet have a lot to learn from level and type of forum engagement that is seen from UpTone Audio, it is fair to say that you are at opposite ends of a very broad spectrum here.  

Anyway, if there are some factually incorrect postulations in this thread, I for one would most welcome seeing them challenged or corrected.  (Even if they are mine!)  Facts are good, and we are all learning here.  When you have time of course, I do not want this to delay the shipment of @David A's EtherRegen.   Angel   (and David, for what its worth, I think Alex did misinterpret your words somewhat, although Alex's words re EtherRegen sales were interesting nevertheless) 

Regarding the last paragraph I have quoted above, I look forward to reading whatever you get to publish.  I can at this point also mention that I have had quite a bit of time recently listen to my system with the EtherRegen in place, subjectively to my ears it is definitely making a very positive improvement to the enjoyment to my system, certainly more so than I picked up with quick A/B testing.  So as a subjectively happy EtherRegen user, it is always great to get a better understanding of the mechanisms in place here.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Antoine - 05-Jan-2020

@Superdad/Alex, a warm welcome to this forum from me too! Smile Setting the facts straight in anything incorrectly stated is always a good thing, as is sharing knowledge or insights. Time permitting of course.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - baconbrain - 05-Jan-2020

(05-Jan-2020, 13:20)Confused Wrote: Alex - Can I too offer a warm welcome to the forum.  Manufacturer involvement is typically very welcome here (as long as industry affiliation is stated, as you have done).  I think Devialet have a lot to learn from level and type of forum engagement that is seen from UpTone Audio, it is fair to say that you are at opposite ends of a very broad spectrum here.  

Anyway, if there are some factually incorrect postulations in this thread, I for one would most welcome seeing them challenged or corrected.  (Even if they are mine!)  Facts are good, and we are all learning here.  When you have time of course, I do not want this to delay the shipment of @David A's EtherRegen.   Angel   (and David, for what its worth, I think Alex did misinterpret your words somewhat, although Alex's words re EtherRegen sales were interesting nevertheless) 

Regarding the last paragraph I have quoted above, I look forward to reading whatever you get to publish.  I can at this point also mention that I have had quite a bit of time recently listen to my system with the EtherRegen in place, subjectively to my ears it is definitely making a very positive improvement to the enjoyment to my system, certainly more so than I picked up with quick A/B testing.  So as a subjectively happy EtherRegen user, it is always great to get a better understanding of the mechanisms in place here.

So much for my New Year‘s Resolution and realize I am not going to probably get any plus points for the following but ...

Honestly, with exception of Devialet, I would prefer to see less Manufacturers’ participation in this forum as opposed to more. If I want to interact directly with a manufacturer then I can go to another forum / their specific site.

Also strange to correct „incorrect postulations“ in this thread with facts. Which facts? With exception of sales related information, I haven‘t seen any yet.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - K4680 - 05-Jan-2020

(05-Jan-2020, 19:48)baconbrain Wrote:
(05-Jan-2020, 13:20)Confused Wrote: Alex - Can I too offer a warm welcome to the forum.  Manufacturer involvement is typically very welcome here (as long as industry affiliation is stated, as you have done).  I think Devialet have a lot to learn from level and type of forum engagement that is seen from UpTone Audio, it is fair to say that you are at opposite ends of a very broad spectrum here.  

So much for my New Year‘s Resolution and realize I am not going to probably get any plus points for the following but ...

Honestly, with exception of Devialet, I would prefer to see less Manufacturers’ participation in this forum as opposed to more. If I want to interact directly with a manufacturer then I can go to another forum / their specific site.

Also strange to correct „incorrect postulations“ in this thread with facts. Which facts? With exception of sales related information, I haven‘t seen any yet.

Hallo my friend, you speak to me from the soul! Do not need any influence from manufacturers!!
Just my opinion. Wink

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - David A - 05-Jan-2020

@baconbrain and @K4680 ,

Yes, this is a Devialet forum but every one of us uses components from other manufacturers as well and we mention those products. This is a thread about ethernet switches and saying that manufacturer responses in this thread should be limited to responses from Devialet is a little too restrictive in my view since the last time I checked Devialet wasn't making an ethernet switch.

I think it's quite appropriate for manufacturers of products discussed in this thread to respond to comments on their product, just as I would think it appropriate for Devialet to respond to comments about their products in forums related to products from other manufacturers. I don't think it's appropriate for one manufacturer to criticise another manufacturer's products, there could be more than a bit of bias and prejudice in that, but that didn't happen here and I think Alex's post was more than acceptable given the large number of comments, both for and against, made about his product in this thread.

Frankly, given the topic under discussion in this thread, I'd rather see comments from manufacturers of ethernet switches discussed in this thread than comments from Devialet who haven't bothered to fix a bug that's been affecting their ethernet input for almost a year. The only comment I would like to see from Devialet about an ethernet related topic at the moment is "We've fixed it!" and they seem unwilling to do that.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Snoopy8 - 06-Jan-2020

This is getting silly, not wanting a manufacturer to post when it happens to be Uptone!  

We have been a forum which has always encouraged constructive posts from everyone, and that is how we learn.  Let's keep it that way...