Devialet Chat
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Tweaker's Corner (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Tweaker-s-Corner)
+--- Thread: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation (/Thread-Audiophile-Grade-Ethernet-Switches-The-new-generation)

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - thumb5 - 18-Feb-2020

One could also argue that wi-fi hardware on the DAC side (i.e. in the Devialet) is also more likely to be a source of power/ground noise and RFI (since it is after all running a moderately powerful radio transmitter) than a wired Ethernet interface. So the argument about which is likely to inject less noise into the DAC is not clear cut either way. Maybe like most of these things, if you think it makes a difference you should try both and choose whichever you personally prefer.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Flashman - 27-Feb-2020

@David A @mdconnelly @kerkhoffd I received the February shipment of the EtherREGEN and played it for an hour last evening. My Devialet Expert 220 Pro, thankfully, performed well with Roon RAAT.

Initial impressions: There was a good sound stage, with nice separation of instruments and voices. The top and bottom ends were good. I do think it’s better than Bonn N8, even at this stage. Supposedly, it gets better with continued burn-in.

You could fry an egg on the case but that is to be expected. As the case is rather small and my BDI cabinet is large and well ventilated, I don't believe this will cause any problems. I am powering the device with a dual-power Keces P8 LPS (the other half is providing power to my Nucleus) and thus have grounded the ER, as the Keces has a "floating" power supply and UpTone suggests grounding. I am not going to test the supplied SMPS.

More thoughts later...

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - mdconnelly - 27-Feb-2020

@Flashman - keep us posted as it breaks in! If you believe it sounds better than the Bonn N8, how so?

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - David A - 27-Feb-2020

@Flashman ,

I think there is some burn in but while I think some of the estimates I've read on the time involved (about 100 hours) are probably about right, I don't think the magnitude of the change is as large as some have claimed. I think the basic character is there from the start and I noticed a bit of improvement over the first 2-3 hours after turning it on, but after that the change slowed a lot.

If you like it now, my bet is that you will continue liking it.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Flashman - 28-Feb-2020

(27-Feb-2020, 18:43)mdconnelly Wrote: @Flashman - keep us posted as it breaks in!  If you believe it sounds better than the Bonn N8, how so?
Mike, it's always difficult to be objective but I sense a better cohesiveness in the music presentation.  Instruments seem better defined on the sound stage and voices, in particular, sound richer.  Some say with continued break in that music becomes more holographic.  I am guessing that means a wider sound stage but, really, who knows?  I feel I made a good buy as I get a state-of-the-art switch and a solution to the Devialet handshake with Roon RAAT.  Come to Charleston and I'll play some music for you!

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Flashman - 28-Feb-2020

(27-Feb-2020, 20:43)David A Wrote: @Flashman ,

I think there is some burn in but while I think some of the estimates I've read on the time involved (about 100 hours) are probably about right, I don't think the magnitude of the change is as large as some have claimed. I think the basic character is there from the start and I noticed a bit of improvement over the first 2-3 hours after turning it on, but after that the change slowed a lot.

If you like it now, my bet is that you will continue liking it.
David, you are one of the people who I listen carefully to on this forum.  I find you objective, knowledgeable and not prone to hyperbole.  Matter of fact, your voice helped with my decision-making on the ER.  So, thanks.  I'll be eager to see what changes are ahead, but as you suggest, I am happy right now.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - mdconnelly - 28-Feb-2020

(28-Feb-2020, 00:31)Flashman Wrote:
(27-Feb-2020, 18:43)mdconnelly Wrote: @Flashman - keep us posted as it breaks in!  If you believe it sounds better than the Bonn N8, how so?
Mike, it's always difficult to be objective but I sense a better cohesiveness in the music presentation.  Instruments seem better defined on the sound stage and voices, in particular, sound richer.  Some say with continued break in that music becomes more holographic.  I am guessing that means a wider sound stage but, really, who knows?  I feel I made a good buy as I get a state-of-the-art switch and a solution to the Devialet handshake with Roon RAAT.  Come to Charleston and I'll play some music for you!

Michael,  I greatly appreciate your thoughts on the EtherRegen.   It is very much still on my bucket list although I must admit the extreme heat has me a bit concerned.  I've seen that sighted numerous times.  That just seems a bit strange from a design standpoint.  But I would think that a well placed heatsink or two such as @octaviars posted a few  posts back would tame it nicely.

I do hope to get to Charleston sometime this year.  I will definitely touch base if/when I do!

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - David A - 28-Feb-2020

That cohesiveness you mention has turned out to be the biggest benefit in my view. In the first few days when I was listening for differences I was noticing details like definition and clarity but as I became used to the sound and what to expect, I stopped paying attention to the details and started noticing the overall effect more. The presentation was richer sounding overall and more cohesive, both musically because the sense of ensemble with a group was improved, plus also spatially because the soundstage seemed to open up and imaging become a bit more realistic. It's also a bit more relaxing to listen to music with it.

(28-Feb-2020, 02:07)mdconnelly Wrote:

It is very much still on my bucket list although I must admit the extreme heat (emphasis by Flashman) has me a bit concerned.  I've seen that sighted numerous times.  That just seems a bit strange from a design standpoint.  But I would think that a well placed heatsink or two such as @octaviars posted a few  posts back would tame it nicely.
Mike, regarding heat, the ER casing can be really hot to touch (48-52C/118-126F according to the ER manual).  The manual states that the components inside typically operate at half their thermal ratings, so no issue there.  The manual further states that the case is the heat sink, though I have seen some people actually apply heat-dissipating fins to the unit (not recommended by manufacturer UpTone).  I felt around the unit and the heat is not transferring inside my BDI cabinet; it's confined to the unit itself.  Not a problem for me, however, for others, the heat may be an issue.

(28-Feb-2020, 04:06)David A Wrote:

That cohesiveness you mention has turned out to be the biggest benefit in my view. In the first few days when I was listening for differences I was noticing details like definition and clarity but as I became used to the sound and what to expect, I stopped paying attention to the details and started noticing the overall effect more. The presentation was richer sounding overall and more cohesive, both musically because the sense of ensemble with a group was improved, plus also spatially because the soundstage seemed to open up and imaging become a bit more realistic. It's also a bit more relaxing to listen to music with it.
Last night, as I was playing around with the system, my wife passed by the listening stage and remarked how good everything sounded.  Then she did something she rarely does: she sat down after I had finished playing a few albums and proceeded to play one of her favorite albums and then let Roon select tracks after it was finished.  Do I ascribe all this to the addition of the ER?  No, but I'll suggest it had a halo Angel effect!