Devialet Chat
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Tweaker's Corner (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Tweaker-s-Corner)
+--- Thread: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation (/Thread-Audiophile-Grade-Ethernet-Switches-The-new-generation)

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - TechGuy - 19-Feb-2021

Think this belongs here,  Audio Science Review made a video showing test results on these magic Ethernet switches... guess what he found??!!

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - markush - 20-Feb-2021

A few questions for the experts:
- will it be a problem placing the Etherregen next to a WiFi modem ?
- Joel from Meta Wave said it’s recommended to use only plastic connectors on the A side.
“Note for the ports on A-side it is recommended to use non shielded cables with plastic connector. Else there is risk leakages between the devices.”
So best using a cheap standard cat5 and investing in a great Ethernet cable on B side?

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Johnnydev - 20-Feb-2021

(20-Feb-2021, 11:51)markush Wrote: A few questions for the experts:
- will it be a problem placing the Etherregen next to a WiFi modem ?
- Joel from Meta Wave said it’s recommended to use only plastic connectors on the A side.
“Note for the ports on A-side it is recommended to use non shielded cables with plastic connector. Else there is risk leakages between the devices.”
So best using a cheap standard cat5 and investing in a great Ethernet cable on B side?

I use cat7 and cat8 cables on A and B side, but the shields only connected on one side.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Confused - 20-Feb-2021

(19-Feb-2021, 20:20)TechGuy Wrote: Think this belongs here,  Audio Science Review made a video showing test results on these magic Ethernet switches... guess what he found??!!

Maybe he's right.  In my view we need a lot more "science" applied to the evaluation of audio kit, the more measuring, the more objective analysis, the better.  The trouble with Amir is that he has over time exhibited considerable biases, both for and against certain brands.  There has been some speculation that this is for commercial reasons, but I think it is just speculation.  One thing that I do find utterly baffling is his continued support for MQA, and his attacks of posters on his own forum, for commuting the crime of analyzing MQA objectively and scientifically.  Most curious, and not very scientific.

So maybe he has a point, but those that subjectively think the EtherRegen works can find lots of ammunition to debunk Amir if they want to.  I have said this before, but if there was a version of ASR that was truly scientific I would be all over it, it would be a gift to the world, but we are stuck with the one that we actually have, which is interesting but needs to be approached with a degree of caution.

With all that said, it is not for anyone here to debunk Amir's claims or otherwise.  (unless anyone fancies a full on subjectivist versus objectivist ruck?)  Amir makes the point that Uptone have for a long time been promising measurements that show exactly what the EtherRegen does, and yes, we are still waiting for that one....  Although Amir also mentions a promised EtherRegen white paper "where's the white paper" he says.  Well as it happens, it's here:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0660/6121/files/UpTone-J.Swenson_EtherREGEN_white_paper.pdf?v=1583429386

Although I think @"thumb5" 's question per the link below remains unanswered....   

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Audiophile-Grade-Ethernet-Switches-The-new-generation?pid=91325#pid91325

On a more positive note, if it is just all expectation bias, I am a least pleased that I got my small does of placebo bias from a £600 device, saving me £thousands over the JCAT M12 option.  Angel

"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - salk61 - 20-Feb-2021

I don’t follow anything anymore at all audio science review. I don’t agree with their findings, their interpretations of the findings but most of all mob mentality instinct that exists in the founding members and organizers. Disagree with them on one issue and they will come at you with guns blazing. I find that quite disturbing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Johnnydev - 20-Feb-2021

I even dare to go so far that if you cannot hear the differences, there is something wrong with your installation and / or your hearing!

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Vivialet - 20-Feb-2021

whatever they measure might not be the only relevant thing for the sound quality. The Etherregen is a clear proof for me that this guy is absolutely wrong with his conclusions...
Reminds me of a certain german forum...cables do not make a difference, digital is digital, ....

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - kerkhoffd - 20-Feb-2021

Agree. As far as I am concerned Amir and ASR both suffer from a serious case of tunnel vision and bias and are not to be taken serious.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Pim - 20-Feb-2021

Just for someone who can't be bothered watching the video; what's he saying?

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Axel - 21-Feb-2021

(20-Feb-2021, 21:34)Pim Wrote: Just for someone who can't be bothered watching the video; what's he saying?

He says that the EtherRegen makes absolutely no difference to the sound quality at all. None.