Devialet Chat
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Tweaker's Corner (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Tweaker-s-Corner)
+--- Thread: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation (/Thread-Audiophile-Grade-Ethernet-Switches-The-new-generation)

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - markush - 21-Feb-2021

There is also a good video also here https://youtu.be/Io4SDi5hLxs

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Pim - 21-Feb-2021

(21-Feb-2021, 09:08)Axel Wrote:
(20-Feb-2021, 21:34)Pim Wrote: Just for someone who can't be bothered watching the video; what's he saying?

He says that the EtherRegen makes absolutely no difference to the sound quality at all. None.

His system probably isn't revealing enough.   Blush

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Johnnydev - 21-Feb-2021

(21-Feb-2021, 11:18)Pim Wrote:
(20-Feb-2021, 21:34)Pim Wrote: Only for someone who can't be bothered to watch the video; what does she say?

He says the EtherRegen makes absolutely no difference to the sound quality. No.

His system probably doesn't reveal enough.   Blush

And whether there is something wrong with his ears  Angel  Big Grin

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Axel - 22-Feb-2021

(21-Feb-2021, 11:18)Pim Wrote:
(20-Feb-2021, 21:34)Pim Wrote: Just for someone who can't be bothered watching the video; what's he saying?

He says that the EtherRegen makes absolutely no difference to the sound quality at all. None.

His system probably isn't revealing enough.   Blush

Nowhere in the video does he say that he’s actually listened to the switch, so maybe he thinks that if it doesn’t measure well then it’s not worth listening to.  Rolleyes

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Confused - 22-Feb-2021

Amir mentioned listening tests over at ASR:

Listening Tests
The beautify of how streaming audio works allows us for a very clever AB test. Both the host and client have fair bit of memory that they store Ethernet content into. With audio playback consumer data at a rather low rate, you can actually switch Ethernet cables and be able to play the music uninterrupted!

I connected one wire to Matrix i Ethernet port from my cheap switch, and another to Ether Regen.

I started with my generic switch connection and started to stream some of my reference quality content. While the music was playing, I switched Ethernet cables, this time having Port B of EtherRegen feeding the Matrix i. There was absolutely no audible difference. I then switched back to generic switch feed. No difference. I switched back to EtherRegen. No difference. None. Nothing. Smile

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - ogs - 24-Feb-2021

This thinking is flawed IMHO.
I've noticed that 'bits are bits' people keep referring to "remove the cable and just listen to what's in the memory buffer". The problem with this is that the content in the buffer has already passed through a switch. So enhancements in the transfer (if there are any) has already taken place. The only difference you'd hear with a cable connected is any real-time disturbances like ground noise or other 'network' noise on the cable.
One would not hear the difference between two switches until the memory buffer from the first ends and the next starts.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - thumb5 - 24-Feb-2021

@ogs - I'm curious to know what you have in mind when you talk about enhancements in the transfer that would be caused by the switch (assuming that the bits are unaffected) but not carried physically through the cable? Presumably you are thinking of something specific?

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - ogs - 24-Feb-2021

@thumb5 difficult to say really. I own and use a EtherREGEN, but have not done any comparison myself. My current system is just OK so I haven't been using it much lately. I may get a pair of D&D 8c. If the RAAT implementation on the 8c sounds as good as the rumours say, EtherREGEN should be a great device for a setup like that. If the EtherREGEN does positive things to the sound it should be easy to hear on the 8c.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - Pim - 25-Feb-2021

I had a chance to watch that video and I have to say, there's not much to argue about his conclusions. So what we can all conclude here is that a $20 switch is all we need for perfect sound! That's a win for all of us. The bloke should be applauded for the work he's done for us.

I still think he's a dick for posting miss understood rubbish about SAM on the Roon site though.

RE: "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation - ogs - 25-Feb-2021

(25-Feb-2021, 07:44)Pim Wrote: I still think he's a dick for posting miss understood rubbish about SAM on the Roon site though.

I'd like to read this. Have you got links?