Devialet Chat
Signal Output from D220 Pro CI - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet D-Premier, Expert 120/200/250, Expert 140/220/250 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-D-Premier-Expert-120-200-250-Expert-140-220-250-Pro)
+--- Thread: Signal Output from D220 Pro CI (/Thread-Signal-Output-from-D220-Pro-CI)

Pages: 1 2

Signal Output from D220 Pro CI - Greg - 26-Apr-2018

This is a follow on, from this thread https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=5094 which I don't want to pollute further with my alternative question.

I want to access a digital signal output from my amp to feed my dac which doubles as a pre amp with headphone output. It is the headphone output I particularly want to use.

I understand that the two digital inputs on my amp can be used, converted in the configurator to a pair of RCA anologue outputs. Unfortunately, my dac does not have anologue input. My dac input options are Optical, SPDIF, and USB.

On the thread listed above, both @f1eng and @Axel stated that my D USB socket could be used for output signal into my dac. I have tried this and it doesn’t work, or at least it doesn’t work as my amp is set up.

I appreciate this might be down to my configurator settings, so please can someone educate me how to set my USB configurator to achieve what I want to do. Particularly I hope Axel or f1eng can help me.

Thanks in anticipation.

RE: Signal Output from D220 Pro CI - Axel - 27-Apr-2018

(26-Apr-2018, 22:59)Greg Wrote: This is a follow on, from this thread https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=5094 which I don't want to pollute further with my alternative question.

I want to access a digital signal output from my amp to feed my dac which doubles as a pre amp with headphone output. It is the headphone output I particularly want to use.

I understand that the two digital inputs on my amp can be used, converted in the configurator to a pair of RCA anologue outputs. Unfortunately, my dac does not have anologue input. My dac input options are Optical, SPDIF, and USB.

On the thread listed above, both @f1eng and @Axel stated that my D USB socket could be used for output signal into my dac. I have tried this and it doesn’t work, or at least it doesn’t work as my amp is set up.

I appreciate this might be down to my configurator settings, so please can someone educate me how to set my USB configurator to achieve what I want to do. Particularly I hope Axel or f1eng can help me.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi @Greg,
As long as the USB connection is activated in the Configurator, you will have an output which can be used to feed your DAC. You don’t need to alter the settings for the USB output, just make sure that it’s turned on.
Can you tell us the make and model of your DAC/Headphone amp, please?
It will help us to troubleshoot your connections.
The optical inputs on the Devialet can’t be configured as outputs but the SPDIFs can, so provided you have a spare output , this could be a connection option. To enable the SPDIF output, click settings (orange arrow) on the chosen output, select Digital Output (SPDIF).
Ideally, please take the time to compose a signature that shows your equipment chain as this will also help with troubleshooting. If you need any help with this, please see this thread: https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=4891
I’m pretty sure that we can get your headphone amp. working by tweaking a few settings.

RE: Signal Output from D220 Pro CI - thumb5 - 29-Apr-2018

As Axel mentioned, once the USB interface is enabled there shouldn't be any other configuration to do to enable it as an audio output.  However, be aware that it is functioning as a USB peripheral device in this mode; that is, it's like a USB microphone which would normally need to be connected to a USB host device (such as a computer) for any data transfer to occur.

Unfortunately I guess that your headphone amp is also a USB peripheral device, not a host, and will not be able to talk to the Devialet using USB because a peripheral-to-peripheral connection won't do anything useful.  Typically, if you can't use a standard, off-the-shelf USB cable to connect two devices, they aren't going to work together.  Perhaps my guess is wrong, so please let us know what your headphone amp is and maybe it can be made to work via USB after all.

RE: Signal Output from D220 Pro CI - Greg - 30-Apr-2018

(29-Apr-2018, 16:06)thumb5 Wrote: As Axel mentioned, once the USB interface is enabled there shouldn't be any other configuration to do to enable it as an audio output.  However, be aware that it is functioning as a USB peripheral device in this mode; that is, it's like a USB microphone which would normally need to be connected to a USB host device (such as a computer) for any data transfer to occur.

Unfortunately I guess that your headphone amp is also a USB peripheral device, not a host, and will not be able to talk to the Devialet using USB because a peripheral-to-peripheral connection won't do anything useful.  Typically, if you can't use a standard, off-the-shelf USB cable to connect two devices, they aren't going to work together.  Perhaps my guess is wrong, so please let us know what your headphone amp is and maybe it can be made to work via USB after all.

It is a dac, a Beresford Caiman ll GFU which incorporates a headphone amplifier. I have followed @Axel ‘s instructions above in the configurator which has also been checked by @NickB and there appears to be no signal coming out of the 220 on either USB or SPDIF. The dac has a scan feature. At switch on, it scans all inputs and locks onto any input with signal. No signal is identified. I’m wondering if this another feature not working in core infinity or is there something further I need to do with the remote?

RE: Signal Output from D220 Pro CI - thumb5 - 30-Apr-2018

@Greg, thanks for the extra info. The manual for the Caiman II DAC shows it has a USB type B connector, which means it is a USB peripheral like the Devialet. So, sorry to say, you can't usefully connect the two using USB.

That doesn't necessarily mean that there's "no signal" on the Devialet's USB output, by the way. For example, if you connected it to a computer using a standard USB type A to type B cable, it should show up as an audio input device (as well as an output device).

RE: Signal Output from D220 Pro CI - tavares - 01-May-2018

Hello!

As to the coaxial spdif output you must know that there is a bug in the configuration/software that makes the outputted signal always at 192 kHz... independently of your selection in the configuration...

So, maybe this can be the reason for your unsuccessful use of the spdif output if your dac doesn’t support 192 kHz input...

Cheers

RE: Signal Output from D220 Pro CI - Greg - 01-May-2018

Thank you @thumb5 and @tavares. Well, I have accepted the USB will not work. My dac does support 192KHz input through SPDIF (coax rca) but it doesn’t work. Also, using the latest beta software, my amp also crashes when trying to play 192KHz files, so my inclination is this is yet another Devialet bug or a core infinity function not yet working.

RE: Signal Output from D220 Pro CI - Greg - 02-May-2018

Update. Today, I took my dac to @NickB’s place to try with his 1000 Pro C/I. We also tried with one 250 Pro C/I. Nothing Nick did could show a signal coming from the 250/1000 SPDIF output. Messing with other kit, we confirmed that my dac operates correctly, is not bust and locks onto any digital signal supplied to it. We have concluded this is another missing function on the core infinity board. Nick also has an original 120, not yet upgraded, but not to hand this morning. We will at some point try the test with this amp to see if it all works as we would like to expect.

RE: Signal Output from D220 Pro CI - Peter van der Laarse - 02-May-2018

Hi Greg,

USB out doesn't function with the latest CI softwareversion. That's common knowledge also to Devialet, for month's now. Bug. 
Doesn't your Devialet also function with earlier software versions? I am using my Devialet to record records in the last year (over 1.300 now...) and I am not using the latest softwareversion on my 220Pro CI. That's impossible. But an older version is oke: 2.2.0 beta12. What softwareversion do you use?

RE: Signal Output from D220 Pro CI - Greg - 06-May-2018

(02-May-2018, 23:48)Peter van der Laarse Wrote: Hi Greg,

USB out doesn't function with the latest CI softwareversion. That's common knowledge also to Devialet, for month's now. Bug. 
Doesn't your Devialet also function with earlier software versions? I am using my Devialet to record records in the last year (over 1.300 now...) and I am not using the latest softwareversion on my 220Pro CI. That's impossible. But an older version is oke: 2.2.0 beta12. What softwareversion do you use?
Sorry Peter, for slow response. I was using the last beta before Friday’s new one. This for me has now become a non issue as I have found a work around, not using the Devialet. Never the less, it is a disappointment that most recent firmware has malfunctions which are not present in earlier firmware. Do Devialet engineers have any concept of what progress or even striving for it means?