Devialet Chat
250 Pro - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet D-Premier, Expert 120/200/250, Expert 140/220/250 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-D-Premier-Expert-120-200-250-Expert-140-220-250-Pro)
+--- Thread: 250 Pro (/Thread-250-Pro--5244)

Pages: 1 2

250 Pro - rwjr44 - 14-Jul-2018

Huh

What is the rationale for buying a single 250 Pro. It is much more expensive that the 220 Pro and you only get 30 more watts.

Thanks

250 Pro - NickB - 14-Jul-2018

Have a listen and you will take about 3 to 4 ms to find out.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: 250 Pro - rwjr44 - 15-Jul-2018

(14-Jul-2018, 19:08)NickB Wrote: Have a listen and you will take about 3 to 4 ms to find out.....

Not very helpful.

RE: 250 Pro - Chris Marshall - 15-Jul-2018

The 250 is a step up in quality as well as power, that’s what Nick is saying.

Most people (not all) think that the 440 Pro is better than the 250 Pro, so if that is your final amplifier it may be a bettter option. It’s at this level you definitely need to listen and decide for yourself.

Cheers

Chris

RE: 250 Pro - NickB - 15-Jul-2018

(15-Jul-2018, 14:43)rwjr44 Wrote:
(14-Jul-2018, 19:08)NickB Wrote: Have a listen and you will take about 3 to 4 ms to find out.....

Not very helpful.

Why? Do you not listen to your new purchases before you buy them? Is there another reason for buying a different system than the fact that it sounds better?

RE: 250 Pro - Damon - 15-Jul-2018

(15-Jul-2018, 14:43)rwjr44 Wrote: Not very helpful.

Well, why did you decide on a D200 rather than a D120? 50% more expensive and not a great deal more power.

I would suggest that D250 owners chose that model because:
1. they wanted the extra 30 watts
2. they understood the casework provides better thermal dissipation, and so better current delivery at high loads for a longer time period
3. they liked the option of going dual mono to D800.
4. they listened to the D250 as well as other amps, and decided, based on listening, that the D250 was the better choice given their own judgemen, budget and upgrade options.

I agree with you that one should always audition before deciding to buy BUT auditioning a Devialet amp isn't very easy where I live. My dealer is an eight hour round-trip drive away and getting a unit shipped to me for an audition requires that I commit the funds in advance.

I was hoping that the "friendly" and "helpful" atmosphere of this forum would result in some useful information that would be beneficial in deciding whether to "upgrade" to the 250 Pro or purchase a Bel Canto black integrated.

(15-Jul-2018, 17:12)Damon Wrote:

Well, why did you decide on a D200 rather than a D120? 50% more expensive and not a great deal more power.

2. they understood the casework provides better thermal dissipation, and so better current delivery at high loads for a longer time period
4. they listened to the D250 as well as other amps, and decided, based on listening, that the D250 was the better choice given their own judgemen, budget and upgrade options.

There were other differences that made the D200 decision easier. It has additional features AND I was able to get a decent discount. Also 80 watts is significantly more that the 30 watt differential between the 220 and 250. 

My request is simply what are the perceived differences heard by members of this forum and I thank you for your responses (in particular your second). I have been a member of this forum for a long time and have read much more detailed responses to similar questions than the one @NickB gave. In the spirit of this forum I won't mention his post again. I don't want this to become a matter of contention.

RE: 250 Pro - Greg - 15-Jul-2018

(15-Jul-2018, 17:40)rwjr44 Wrote:
(15-Jul-2018, 17:12)Damon Wrote:

There were other differences that made the D200 decision easier. It has additional features AND I was able to get a decent discount. Also 80 watts is significantly more that the 30 watt differential between the 220 and 250. 

My request is simply what are the perceived differences heard by members of this forum and I thank you for your responses (in particular your second). I have been a member of this forum for a long time and have read much more detailed responses to similar questions than the one @NickB gave. In the spirit of this forum I won't mention his post again. I don't want this to become a matter of contention.
I recently did a home comparison between my 220 Pro C/I and a 250 Pro C/I. As it happens, the 250 is owned by @NickB. My listening room is small (just over 4m sq) and I was not expecting to hear a lot of difference between the two models. On swapping the 220 for the 250, the improvement in sound quality was instantly obvious. Not even 3-4 minutes was needed Tongue  The outcome of that little experiment was that I sold the 220 and now happily own a 250 Cool

RE: 250 Pro - Damon - 15-Jul-2018

(15-Jul-2018, 17:22)rwjr44 Wrote: I agree with you that one should always audition before deciding to buy BUT auditioning a Devialet amp isn't very easy where I live. My dealer is an eight hour round-trip drive away and getting a unit shipped to me for an audition requires that I commit the funds in advance.

I was hoping that the "friendly" and "helpful" atmosphere of this forum would result in some useful information that would be beneficial in deciding whether to "upgrade" to the 250 Pro or purchase a Bel Canto black integrated.

So, clearly you did not get the sort of responses you wanted, but the original post as well as the follow up, 'not very helpful', don't give others much to go on. Tone is always difficult to put into text, but the emoticon and the one line original post came across as being critical of those that have 250's; that was my impression, at least, and I'm totally open to being wrong about that. Your post I quote here gives more information that would have been useful in the first place.

Telling others that you are not satisfied with the D200 (if that is the case) helps. Knowing that a Devialet dealer is a long way away helps. Knowing that you are considering a change to the Bel  Canto helps.  Have you heard the Bel Canto? Can you hear it with you speakers or something similar, or are you limited to buying based on reviews? Good deal to be had? Budget? You gotta give the friendly folks something to work with!

(trying to find emoticon that says, 'hey man, here's a slap on the back, a cold beer and an invitation to tell us what's on your mind and what's up with the system?)