Devialet Chat
Stumbled over a Devialet 120 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Your Systems (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Your-Systems)
+--- Thread: Stumbled over a Devialet 120 (/Thread-Stumbled-over-a-Devialet-120)

Pages: 1 2

Stumbled over a Devialet 120 - Sailor4W - 19-Aug-2018

A few days ago, I was strolling through downtown area to check the local HiFi dealers for interesting new stuff. One shop had a demo Devialet 120 on display. I asked the dealer if he'd be willing to lend me the system for a few days to check it out. So off I went with a large, black Devialet box, containing the 120 DAC/pre-amp/amp, the wonderfully stylish remote control, and a pair of white gloves for handling the shiny Devialet 120.
At home, all I needed to do was to connect the speakers and my beloved Aurender N100H to its USB port and I turned the shiny, metal pizza box on.
What a marvellous experience that was. A fantastic, clear, resolving, pleasant sound emanated from my speakers. I was hooked!
The next day, I went to the dealer's place and bought the Devialet 120. Off went my clunky system consisting of a separate DAC, pre-amp with a separate power supply, and the 25 kg power amp! I am left now with a sleek two-box setup and a sound that is much more revealing than my old system!
So al in all, from curious window shopping to replacement of a complicated system that never quite delivered the sound stage I was looking for! Quite some success!

RE: Stumbled over a Devialet 120 - Pim - 19-Aug-2018

Congratulations mate. You're part of the club now!

What is it replacing?

RE: Stumbled over a Devialet 120 - Finn - 19-Aug-2018

Welcome too the Dev forum ,and thumps Up for devialet.

RE: Stumbled over a Devialet 120 - BrianT - 19-Aug-2018

Well done, now we have you hooked !

We all want to know what gear you replaced.

You have your Aurender hooked up the same way as I did, using an Apple Airport Express
so you do not have to run a Ethernet cable back to your router.

Add a sig, with your gear and your location

Brian

RE: Stumbled over a Devialet 120 - Sailor4W - 19-Aug-2018

(19-Aug-2018, 12:01)Pim Wrote: Congratulations mate. You're part of the club now!

What is it replacing?

A complicated system, that developed over a long time: I started out as a headphone listener and for this I used the well-known Headamp GSX-Mk2, combined with an Aqua Hifi La Voce S2 and the Sennheiser 800. This system as such was, and is, very good. But after some time, I got tired of listening to headphones exclusively. So I went ahead and bought the ATC SCM11 speakers. I used the pre-amp section of the GSX-Mk2 to feed that into an Odyssey Audio Khartago power amp, upgraded with the Kismet boards. So quite some boxes stacked over each other!

The set-up wasn't bad at all, except two things: the power amp seemed a bit slow to me and not resolving well enough. Also, my impression was that they did not pair well with the ATC SCM11s. The sound was a bit flat and uninvolved. But the worst was, the system picked up some power line hum along with a high-pitched hiss. I heard it only when I put my ears close to the speakers, but the noise shouldn't have been there in the first place! No matter what I tried, I just couldn't get rid of the noise, as weak as it was. I was always under the impression of missing some low-lever details!

And then: my wife felt that the unit spoilt the living room with so many boxes and cables lying on the floor! She kept on pestering me that she saw much nicer and smaller systems that would fit much better into the living room! So I was looking around a bit, not being serious at all. Till I saw this flashy Devialet unit at one of the local dealers. I was convinced this wonderfully looking piece of equipment would warm to her heart, for sure. But would it be any good sound-wise? So my curiosity got the better of me, and two days later it was at our place for testing.

With respect to the soundstage, I was fascinated from the very first moment I turned the unit on. I just loved it, and couldn't believe the resolution and clarity of the system. The Devialet held an iron fist over my speakers and for the first time, I heard their full potential! Just great! It took one second to know this system is just right for me.

With respect to the wife acceptance factor: we had breakfast last weekend and all of a sudden, my wife disappeared and I didn't hear a thing for about half an hour. Then she came back, having inspected the Devialet and said: this is a beautiful piece of equipment  Smile!

RE: Stumbled over a Devialet 120 - Sailor4W - 19-Aug-2018

(19-Aug-2018, 12:07)Finn Wrote: Welcome too the Dev forum ,and thumps Up for devialet.

Thanks for the warm welcome to everyone! Love to be part of the Devialet community!

Best regards to everyone!

RE: Stumbled over a Devialet 120 - Stino - 19-Aug-2018

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You have good speakers. It's nice to hear you see that now yourself: before the amp was simply not good enough.

May i know why you have the aurender connected to the mac device before it goes in the dev?

RE: Stumbled over a Devialet 120 - BoyScout - 20-Aug-2018

Congrats and welcome!
Now maybe you can try bigger speakers to get more from your Dev, but keep the system simple... listen to your wife.

RE: Stumbled over a Devialet 120 - Sailor4W - 20-Aug-2018

(19-Aug-2018, 19:37)Stino Wrote: Hello and welcome to the forum!

You have good speakers. It's nice to hear you see that now yourself: before the amp was simply not good enough.

May i know why you have the aurender connected to the mac device before it goes in the dev?

It's a simple airport express used for my WLAN as the Aurender is not hardwired via Ethernet. The setup works pretty well.

RE: Stumbled over a Devialet 120 - Sailor4W - 20-Aug-2018

(20-Aug-2018, 12:39)BoyScout Wrote: Congrats and welcome!
Now maybe you can try bigger speakers to get more from your Dev, but keep the system simple... listen to your wife.

Good point! I am thinking of upgrading to the ATC SCM40 speakers. I heard them a few months ago and they are spectacular! Might just see the ATC dealer with my Devialet to try out the SCM40s. Very curious about that!

The image attached shows my SCM11s with my old set-up. They are very nice speakers, indeed, but not to be compared to the 40s!