Devialet Chat
Sub frequency issues with vinyl - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: The Vinyl Thread (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-The-Vinyl-Thread)
+--- Thread: Sub frequency issues with vinyl (/Thread-Sub-frequency-issues-with-vinyl)

Sub frequency issues with vinyl - goldclass - 23-Aug-2018

Hi everyone,

Has anyone else had issues playing vinyl records with Devialet's either side of the turntable? I have them roughly 2 meters either side of the turntable but the needle is picking up their sub frequencies and causing them to violently pulse rapidly. Has anyone found a solution to this? 

The only solution I had was with them completely moved away from the turntable.

Sub frequency issues with vinyl - Soniclife - 23-Aug-2018

Are you using WiFi?

RE: Sub frequency issues with vinyl - Confused - 23-Aug-2018

(23-Aug-2018, 07:10)goldclass Wrote: Hi everyone,

Has anyone else had issues playing vinyl records with Devialet's either side of the turntable? I have them roughly 2 meters either side of the turntable but the needle is picking up their sub frequencies and causing them to violently pulse rapidly. Has anyone found a solution to this? 

The only solution I had was with them completely moved away from the turntable.

Are you using Devialet's phono stage?  If so, make sure you are using the RIAA 1976 equalization curve.  This includes a subsonic filter which filters out the low frequency grunge below 20Hz.  The issue you are experiencing is quite normal with the turntable picking up vibrations in the room, disc warp and so on, but the RIAA 1976 equalization curve should provide the solution.

RE: Sub frequency issues with vinyl - thumb5 - 23-Aug-2018

I read "Devialets" to mean Phantoms...hence most likely the OP is describing acoustic feedback?

RE: Sub frequency issues with vinyl - Confused - 23-Aug-2018

(23-Aug-2018, 08:57)thumb5 Wrote: I read "Devialets" to mean Phantoms...hence most likely the OP is describing acoustic feedback?

Ah yes, it looks like you are right.  I should have read the question more carefully, my brain is wired for Expert.

So this then begs the question, what is the OP using as the phono stage, and does this have any kind of low frequency (sub 20Hz) filter option?

As an aside, the Phantoms inherent latency should actually be advantageous in terms of avoiding acoustic feedback, but this is only part of the problem, turntables are incredibly sensitive.  Without a low frequency filter, I can walk towards my turntable and see the woofers responding, and this is with a solid concrete floor.

RE: Sub frequency issues with vinyl - goldclass - 28-Aug-2018

(23-Aug-2018, 09:45)Confused Wrote:
(23-Aug-2018, 08:57)thumb5 Wrote: I read "Devialets" to mean Phantoms...hence most likely the OP is describing acoustic feedback?

Ah yes, it looks like you are right.  I should have read the question more carefully, my brain is wired for Expert.

So this then begs the question, what is the OP using as the phono stage, and does this have any kind of low frequency (sub 20Hz) filter option?

As an aside, the Phantoms inherent latency should actually be advantageous in terms of avoiding acoustic feedback, but this is only part of the problem, turntables are incredibly sensitive.  Without a low frequency filter, I can walk towards my turntable and see the woofers responding, and this is with a solid concrete floor.

Thanks everyone. Using a Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL Phono stage and a RME ADI-2 Pro as the analogue to digital converter. Any ideas ? and yes playing 2 Devialet Gold's

RE: Sub frequency issues with vinyl - Confused - 28-Aug-2018

(28-Aug-2018, 08:04)goldclass Wrote:
(23-Aug-2018, 09:45)Confused Wrote:

Thanks everyone. Using a Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL Phono stage and a RME ADI-2 Pro as the analogue to digital converter. Any ideas ? and yes playing 2 Devialet Gold's
From what I can see on the 'net, the Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL has selectable equalization curves, either RIAA or IEC.  The "IEC" curve is the same as the "RIAA 1976" curve that I mentioned earlier.  So in theory, by selecting IEC you should remove the majority of the pulsing movement that you are experiencing.  I say the majority, because the IEC (RIAA 1976) curve does not eliminate the lowest bass, it just invokes a steeper roll off for the frequencies below 20Hz.  Above 20Hz, the curves are very near to being identical.

From your description in the original post, I have to assume the phono stage was set to RIAA, so try the IEC setting and see how you get on.  If you still have issues with the IEC equalization curve, then you only remaining option will be to look at improving the turntable support and isolation.