Devialet Chat
Direct Optical mode - How to - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Phantom I (103 DB, 108 DB, Premier Classic, Silver & Gold) (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Phantom-I-103-DB-108-DB-Premier-Classic-Silver-Gold)
+--- Thread: Direct Optical mode - How to (/Thread-Direct-Optical-mode-How-to)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - laser - 03-Dec-2018

(03-Dec-2018, 14:10)alandbush Wrote:
(02-Dec-2018, 22:55)laser Wrote: Thx for sharing that low latency mode.
So how does it affect sound quality? What processing steps are skipped when direct mode is used?

tia

With regards to sound quality, it is difficult to compare but I have no complaints.  But then again, I have gone beyond the desire to forensically analyse the sound UNLESS there is clearly a need.

My guess as to the latency improvement is that the necessary communication between the Dialog and Phantoms to maintain synchronicity is eliminated.  I do not believe the DSP is switched to a lower latency mode, unlike for example the option available on the Kii Three speakers.  I think they maintain their sync via a cable link between speakers.

However, another useful advantage is that the Direct connnection is very robust and consistent.
I have not had a dropout or need to reboot since the change. Previously, I would find one speaker had ‘dropped out’ overnight more often than I liked.  This would often necessitate a reboot or similar.
Ok. 
Another question since it was not mentioned in the thread or I overlooked it:
When direct mode is enabled only optical in does work? So no Ethernet (AirPlay) or Bluetooth is available? 
for Musik i don’t mind the latency, for movies I do. tia

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - alandbush - 04-Dec-2018

(03-Dec-2018, 22:41)laser Wrote:
(03-Dec-2018, 14:10)alandbush Wrote:
(02-Dec-2018, 22:55)laser Wrote: Thx for sharing that low latency mode.
So how does it affect sound quality? What processing steps are skipped when direct mode is used?

tia

With regards to sound quality, it is difficult to compare but I have no complaints.  But then again, I have gone beyond the desire to forensically analyse the sound UNLESS there is clearly a need.

My guess as to the latency improvement is that the necessary communication between the Dialog and Phantoms to maintain synchronicity is eliminated.  I do not believe the DSP is switched to a lower latency mode, unlike for example the option available on the Kii Three speakers.  I think they maintain their sync via a cable link between speakers.

However, another useful advantage is that the Direct connnection is very robust and consistent.
I have not had a dropout or need to reboot since the change. Previously, I would find one speaker had ‘dropped out’ overnight more often than I liked.  This would often necessitate a reboot or similar.
Ok. 
When direct mode is enabled only optical in does work? So no Ethernet (AirPlay) or Bluetooth is available? 

Direct optical mode is restricted to optical input only.

You can always revert back to “normal” mode for other inputs but how practical it is to switch between the two modes regularly is open to question.

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - jcd1877 - 04-Dec-2018

(04-Dec-2018, 02:53)alandbush Wrote:
(03-Dec-2018, 14:10)alandbush Wrote: With regards to sound quality, it is difficult to compare but I have no complaints.  But then again, I have gone beyond the desire to forensically analyse the sound UNLESS there is clearly a need.

Ok. 

You can always revert back to “normal” mode for other inputs but how practical it is to switch between the two modes regularly is open to question.

One of the benefits of using a player such as the WXC-50, is that it will provide a bluetooth and airplay access point, therefore you don't need to worry about having this available via the phantoms/dialog.

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - alexis0587 - 07-Dec-2018

(04-Dec-2018, 02:53)alandbush Wrote:
(03-Dec-2018, 14:10)alandbush Wrote: With regards to sound quality, it is difficult to compare but I have no complaints.  But then again, I have gone beyond the desire to forensically analyse the sound UNLESS there is clearly a need.

Ok. 

My installation is a based on two phantom connected through Optical to a WXC50 to deal with the volume of input devices. As I activated Direct Optical mode, I was expecting that bluetooth not appeared. But in reality, bluetooth of both Phantom appears and it's possible to be connected on them. Obviously even if you are connected, it's impossible to send music on it (which is a good protection to prevent your neiboroug using your Phantom Smile) but it would be better to desactivate or hiding the bluetooth device...

Could it be possible to desactivate (or to hide) bluetooth ?

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - alandbush - 07-Dec-2018

@alexis0587

Sorry to say that I know of no way to deactivate Bluetooth other than by the Devialet Spark app which, of course, does not work when the Phantom is in Direct Optical mode.

Perhaps a query to the Devialet help desk may be useful.

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - Ixon - 11-Dec-2018

I've been reading the whole discussion.

To summarize the whole thing:
- The Phantoms can be operated in Direct Optical Mode to fix latency problems.
- The functions are limited in this mode (no Airplay, no Spotify Connect, no Bluetooth).
- It is rather cumbersome to change the mode.
- With an optical splitter you can distribute the signal from one source to 2 phantoms.
- The individual phantoms can be set to either the left channel, the right channel or mixed.
- The Devialet dialog becomes superfluous in this mode.

Please correct me if I misunderstood something.

What I would like to achieve:
- Connect two Phantoms directly to TV / AV Receiver via the dialog.
- If a source connected to the TV / AV receiver is started, the sound should be played directly.
- Airplay and Spotify Connect should continue to work.

So is it correct that if I send a signal from TV via Optical Out to Dialog (assuming delay is not a problem) Dialog can operate the two Phantoms in stereo?
Dialog recognizes the signal and automatically switches the phantoms to the Optical Input?
Airplay and Spotify connect work in this mode as before?

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - DesertEagleAZ - 11-Dec-2018

@Ixon Dialog should recognize the optical signal and switch to the respective input. As long as it is involved (== no "Optical Direct" mode is used) there will be a processing delay. So yes, if your assumption that delay is not a problem stands, this should be fine. You will be able to continue using Airplay and Spotify Connect with your pair :-)

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - innon - 17-Dec-2018

Hi everyone,

i'm a french so excuse me in advance for my english. I have currently 2 phantom Gold.

I started a project related to build a 5.0 configuration for home theater. For this purpose, i bought one center speaker (Dynaudio X28) and 2 rear surround (Monitor Audio Fx bronze).
I connected all these speakers and Phantoms to an A/V receiver (Pioneer LX-701).
As you can notice, my A/V receiver has a pre-out for front. So i plugged my Phantom Gold to these inputs.

More precisely, a RCA cables go to the pre-out towards the RCA input of a A/D converter (Swissonic Converter AD 24/192), then an optical output towards one of my Phantom. With this configuration, i have a 5.0 sound. The issue is that i have sync issue between center and my Phantoms. It's quite audible, specialy for side vocals and musics on movie like an echo.

To avoid this sync issue, i decided to switch my Phantoms to a direct optical mode. However and this is my main issue, when i configure left and right Phantom via direct optical mode and when i split in two the optical signal (with Portta SPDIF Toslink Optischer Digital Audio Splitter) coming from my A/D converter, it just works for one Phantom but not with both. Sound appears without sync issue but just on one Phantom.

Alan said that with an optical splitter, he managed to play both Phantom with left and right. So i don't understand why it doesn't work for me.

Any explanation and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - alandbush - 17-Dec-2018

(17-Dec-2018, 13:04)innon Wrote: Hi everyone,

i'm a french so excuse me in advance for my english. I have currently 2 phantom Gold.

I started  a project related to build a 5.0 configuration for home theater. For this purpose, i bought one center speaker (Dynaudio X28) and 2 rear surround (Monitor Audio Fx bronze).
I connected all these speakers and Phantoms to an A/V receiver (Pioneer LX-701).
As you can notice, my A/V receiver has a pre-out for front. So i plugged my Phantom Gold to these inputs.

More precisely, a RCA cables go to the pre-out towards the RCA input of a A/D converter (Swissonic Converter AD 24/192), then an optical output towards one of my Phantom. With this configuration, i have a 5.0 sound. The issue is that i have sync issue between center and my Phantoms. It's quite audible, specialy for side vocals and musics on movie like an echo.

To avoid this sync issue, i decided to switch my Phantoms to a direct optical mode. However and this is my main issue, when i configure left and right Phantom via direct optical mode and when i split in two the optical signal (with Portta SPDIF Toslink Optischer Digital Audio Splitter) coming from my A/D converter, it just works for one Phantom but not with both. Sound appears without sync issue but just on one Phantom.

Alan said that with an optical splitter, he managed to play both Phantom with left and right. So i don't understand why it doesn't work for me.

Thanks

@innon

I had issues with a particular optical cable in the early days of owning the Phantoms.
As you know, it is difficult to access the Phantom optical input. This particular cable appeared to be connected securely but was not because no sound was received. I solved that with an appropriate cable that I could feel and hear clicked into place.

The issue, however, is more likely to be the optical splitter as this is the new piece of kit.
Again, I have had problems with my current splitter when I would notice a speaker was no longer working.
However, that was when the Phantom ran in standard mode. In Direct Optical mode I have had no such problems.
It is easy to test, however, by simplify switching the output cables from the splitter.
You may have already tried this in which case I am out of ideas to help.

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - innon - 20-Dec-2018

(17-Dec-2018, 19:21)alandbush Wrote:
(17-Dec-2018, 13:04)innon Wrote: Hi everyone,

I started  a project related to build a 5.0 configuration for home theater. For this purpose, i bought one center speaker (Dynaudio X28) and 2 rear surround (Monitor Audio Fx bronze).

Thanks

@innon

I had issues with a particular optical cable in the early days of owning the Phantoms.
As you know, it is difficult to access the Phantom optical input.  This particular cable appeared to be connected securely but was not because no sound was received.  I solved that with an appropriate cable that I could feel and hear clicked into place.

The issue, however, is more likely to be the optical splitter as this is the new piece of kit.
Again, I have had problems with my current splitter when I would notice a speaker was no longer working.
However, that was when the Phantom ran in standard mode. In Direct Optical mode I have had no such problems.
It is easy to test, however, by simplify switching the output cables from the splitter.
You may have already tried this in which case I am out of ideas to help.

Thanks for the reply,

Yes i already checked the connection between the cables. 

I think the problem is coming either from the optical splitter which doesn't really split in two the optical source, or it is my A/D converter which doesn't allow the optical signal to be splitted. Indeed, when i don't use the splitter but only the A/D converter's optical output towards one of my Phantom, everything works but when i connect the splitter, nothing, even with connecting to one Phantom. 

My only choice now is to use the coax out of my A/D converter (swissonic converter ad 24/192) and add a coax in to spdif out converter. I will receive this converter in one month, so i will update the post with the result. 

If you have any other idea, i'm gonna take it. Maybe the Sonos connect can be a better converter thant my swissonic ?