Devialet Chat
Direct Optical mode - How to - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Phantom I (103 DB, 108 DB, Premier Classic, Silver & Gold) (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Phantom-I-103-DB-108-DB-Premier-Classic-Silver-Gold)
+--- Thread: Direct Optical mode - How to (/Thread-Direct-Optical-mode-How-to)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - denis - 21-May-2019

Another question :
Does the new Phantom Reactor support the Direct Optical Mode ?

Thanks,

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - njaiswal - 07-Jun-2019

For the folks running their phantoms in opitical mode, have you found that you need to power on/off them periodically?

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - denis - 07-Jun-2019

(07-Jun-2019, 12:24)njaiswal Wrote: For the folks running their phantoms in opitical mode, have you found that you need to power on/off them periodically?

Nope, not needed....

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - alandbush - 07-Jun-2019

(07-Jun-2019, 12:24)njaiswal Wrote: For the folks running their phantoms in opitical mode, have you found that you need to power on/off them periodically?

I used to suffer from occasional issues caused, presumably, by dropouts in communication between the Dialog and Phantoms. These more than often occurred overnight needing a morning reboot etc. to get all working again. These issues varied from missing Phantoms to volume resetting and most annoying different latency/delay between Spark rooms. Not good for a five speaker home cinema setup.

Since switching to Direct Optical mode, all has been rock solid. Never a blip. Unsurprising, I suppose, as they now simply work as active speakers.

However, full disclosure, I recently decided to switch off all five Phantoms overnight until early evening BUT only in an attempt to reduce my energy consumption.

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - njaiswal - 08-Jun-2019

(07-Jun-2019, 14:51)denis Wrote:

Nope, not needed....

(07-Jun-2019, 15:39)alandbush Wrote:

I used to suffer from occasional issues caused, presumably, by dropouts in communication between the Dialog and Phantoms.  These more than often occurred overnight needing a morning reboot etc. to get all working again.  These issues varied from missing Phantoms to volume resetting and most annoying different latency/delay between Spark rooms.  Not good for a five speaker home cinema setup.

Since switching to Direct Optical mode, all has been rock solid.  Never a blip.  Unsurprising, I suppose, as they now simply work as active speakers.

However, full disclosure, I recently decided to switch off all five Phantoms overnight until early evening BUT only in an attempt to reduce my energy consumption.

Of the 5 phantoms I have (3 gold and 2 classic) 1 gold and 1 classic require resets periodically to keep them working.   What's interesting is that the gold with the issue is running a new firmware than the other 2 golds...   I'm going to be traveling for for work soon and am afraid I may get angry calls from the wife when she can't get sound... :-(

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - alandbush - 08-Jun-2019

(08-Jun-2019, 16:47)njaiswal Wrote: What's interesting is that the gold with the issue is running a new firmware than the other 2 golds.

Hmm, that reminds me that my gold Phantoms, although at the same firmware level 1.14.1.3, exhibited differing behaviour with regards to Bluetooth availability.  Spark showed that two could not be Bluetooth enabled.  A firmware update to 1.14.2.2 resolved this only for another to “lose” its Bluetooth capability.  Again, a firmware update resolved this.  Only then was I able to boot all gold Phantoms into Direct Optical mode.

Having written that, assuming the last firmware could be more stable, I note that one Phantom is still at 1.14.1.3.  Still I do not recall having to reboot, once set to Direct Optical mode.

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - Yar36 - 25-Jun-2019

Love this thread!
I’m trying to avoid a dialogue box and setup two Golds with my TV, and still use Spotify streaming leveraging Stereo somehow with minimal investment (suggestions welcome). 

The only other part that I’m missing is when you have optical direct mode with two Phantoms...how do you control the volume in sync without a dialogue box?
Do you always have to adjust the two volumes separately within spark?
From my understanding, volume control doesn’t go through Toslink or Oprical cables so it’s really a device control (and not centralized via TV remote)

How does that work?

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - hayus - 25-Jun-2019

Hi,
I adjust volume and equalize my phantoms with a Sonos connect

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - alandbush - 25-Jun-2019

(25-Jun-2019, 17:07)Yar36 Wrote: Love this thread!
I’m trying to avoid a dialogue box and setup two Golds with my TV, and still use Spotify streaming leveraging Stereo somehow with minimal investment (suggestions welcome). 

The only other part that I’m missing is when you have optical direct mode with two Phantoms...how do you control the volume in sync without a dialogue box?
From my understanding, volume control doesn’t go through Toslink or Oprical cables so it’s really a device control (and not centralized via TV remote)

How does that work?

Volume control is performed by the unit outputting the digital audio signal.  It is performed by reducing the number of digital bits (?), i.e. there is no separate data signal containing volume data. Spark is not available in Direct Optical mode.

Perhaps this DevialetChat post will help.

RE: Direct Optical mode - How to - alandbush - 25-Jun-2019

(25-Jun-2019, 17:07)Yar36 Wrote: Love this thread!

How does that work?

Volume control is performed by the unit outputting the digital audio signal.  It is performed by reducing the number of digital bits (?), i.e. there is no separate data signal containing volume data. Spark is not available in Direct Optical mode.

Perhaps this DevialetChat post will help.