Devialet Chat
Expert 220 pro CI - STEREO - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet Reviews (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Reviews)
+--- Thread: Expert 220 pro CI - STEREO (/Thread-Expert-220-pro-CI-STEREO)

Pages: 1 2

Expert 220 pro CI - STEREO - Ron McKernan - 10-Oct-2018

The German STEREO magazine 11/2018 has published a 220 pro CI review which is overall quite enthusiastic (as most reviews there are) but neither very specific nor detailed. SQ is characterized as superiour to most analogue amplifiers they compared it to (not stating which amps that were), versatility and quality of the phono pre are highlighted. SAM, streaming, configurator all are described as particularly outstanding features, no critical issues are mentioned. The article briefly summarizes the development of Devialet from a start-up enterprise (with limited access to state-of-the-art chips) to a major player in the field, now being able to get all hardware supply they are asking for, thus being able to develop the CI Board.

Somewhat in contrast to this quite promotional review, the ranking of tested amplifiers (whatever it's worth) in the same issue of the magazine shows a sligthly different picture, the 220 pro CI ranking as No 20, behind some amps in a similar price range. I love my Expert anyway.

RE: Expert 220 pro CI - STEREO - Axel - 11-Oct-2018

It has five stars though, whereas the top amp only has three. What do they represent? Why does it have no coloured buttons? It has all of the features listed, so it should have all seven.

RE: Expert 220 pro CI - STEREO - listener - 11-Oct-2018

I like to comment this also. This magazine is in competition with two major and some other in Germany. The author, Mathias Böde, is known to write the article always when paid advertisement is involved. This issue includes a full page with Devialet Expert Pro amplifier. Also they were invited to the company and got a sightseeing of the production.
Also good to know that brands that might get better than the best are not tested. For example – the best streamer is made by a german company, but e.g. Linn has never been tested. In amplifier it is the same, a german brand, but e.g. Pass and Dan D’Agostino have never been tested. Maybe this is in favour to the advertising companies of this magazine. There are other magazines in Germany, believe me.
Five stars have the meaning that it is a very best value for money

RE: Expert 220 pro CI - STEREO - Ron McKernan - 11-Oct-2018

I do agree with LISTENER's view on German Hifi Magazines (not only STEREO): most reviews there are rather extented product advertisment than critical tests of functions and SQ. Sometimes, if you read between the lines, you get a hint of some weaknesses, but in most cases shortcomings or even issues are not at all addressed. Thus, the relative ranking position of the tested device is most revealing if you want to know what the editors think about the quality of the tested product compared to others. However: Nobody knows what "95%" means, nor does anybody explain why one device is ranked above the other. Of course, tested devices and probably also the ranking reflect the German market.

So I take the review of the 220 Pro just as a confirmation that my Expert is playing in the major league of high quality amps. I knew that before.

RE: Expert 220 pro CI - STEREO - K4680 - 11-Oct-2018

Hi, maybe Devialet would have had to buy more advertising pages than just the first cover page Angel
Could be! Wink
Have long ago, given up reading the doodle, or making decisions from it. Big Grin
My opinion!

RE: Expert 220 pro CI - STEREO - Axel - 12-Oct-2018

(11-Oct-2018, 08:16)listener Wrote: I like to comment this also. This magazine is in competition with two major and some other in Germany. The author, Mathias Böde, is known to write the article always when paid advertisement is involved. This issue includes a full page with Devialet Expert Pro amplifier. Also they were invited to the company and got a sightseeing of the production.
Also good to know that brands that might get better than the best are not tested. For example – the best streamer is made by a german company, but e.g. Linn has never been tested. In amplifier it is the same, a german brand, but e.g. Pass and Dan D’Agostino have never been tested. Maybe this is in favour to the advertising companies of this magazine. There are other magazines in Germany, believe me.
Five stars have the meaning that it is a very best value for money

This is some german text, I remember. If someone wants to translate it? The issue is available online
https://www.united-kiosk.de/checkout/step2/2103096/2018/11/?proposalform=e_issue

Das wollten wir genau wissen, zumal ein just abgelöster Expert 200 per Update zum Expert 220 Pro veredelt werden kann, was stolze 3490 Euro kostet. Dafür fällt der Klanggewinn überraschend deutlich aus. Der 220 tönte auf Anhieb geschmeidiger, gelöster, untechnischer und musikalischer als sein Vorgänger. Es war ohnehin erstaunlich, wie samtig  und homogen  dieses Rechenwunder aufspielte. Und das unabhängig davon, ob man die Abtastrate des internen Daten­Levels nun auf 96 oder 192 Kilohertz bei jeweils 24 Bit Wortbreite konfiguriert hatte.
Ja, der Expert 220 Pro gab sich bei feinster Auflösung sogar sonorer als unsere konventionell gestrickten Vergleichs-Amps. Maria Pihls „Malvina" kam körperhaft, leuchtete in satten Farben und war vom fülligen, aber prägnanten Bass über die homogenen Mitten bis hin zu den zarten Höhen und den dräuenden, in die Raumtiefe zurückgelagerten Synthesizer-Schwaden in ein geschmeidiges, highendiges Gewand gehüllt. Um einen Hauch natürlicher gelang dem 220er dies, wenn das Dynamic Power Management abgeschaltet war. Wie feindynamisch differenziert und impulsiv das flache Kraftpaket zu Werke geht, zeigte sich bei den knochentrockenen Vibrafonanschlägen in Saturday Night des Red Norvo Quintets. Die ploppten steil und markant vor dem weiträumig gestalteten Background auf und tönten kein bisschen künstlich.
Dabei spielte es keine Rolle, ob wir dem übrigens ungemein pegelfesten Devialet, der mit unangestrengtem Habitus seine Reserven aktiviert, die Musik analog oder digital darreichten. Und sein Phono-Eingang ist ein Gedicht. MMs wie MCs boten echtes Analog-Feeling. Jede Wette: Im Hör-Check würde niemand den Franzosen als volldigitalen Amp identifizieren, was die Erfahrung bestätigt, dass der einmalige Schritt ins digitale Medium -speziell wie hier auf Hochbitbasis- kein Problem darstellt.
Apropos Hochbit: Natürlich ist der Expert 220 Pro wie geschaffen für die moderne Medienwelt. Er versteht sämtliche gebräuchlichen PCM-und DSD-Formate und ist dank UPNP-Fähigkeit ein perfekter Streamer, bei kleineren Datenraten gerne auch per WLan. Noch Wünsche offen? Ja, ein Kopfhöreranschluss und ein Standby-Modus, der den Amp wirklich runterfährt, statt ihn lauwarm zu halten. Doch vielleicht schätzen die Fans gerade dies. Sicher ist, dass Devialet mit Core Infinity die nächste Stufe seiner aufstrebenden Verstärker gezündet hat.
KLANG-NIVEAU 95%,  ***** ÜBERRAGEND  ***** This means best value for price

Courtesy of Google Translate, The above reads: 
That's what we wanted to know, especially since a just detached Expert 200 can be refined by updating the Expert 220 Pro, which costs a whopping € 3490. But the sound gain is surprisingly clear. The 220 immediately sounded smoother, more relaxed, less technical and more musical than its predecessor. It was astonishing how velvety and homogeneous this calculation miracle played. And this regardless of whether the sampling rate of the internal data level had now been configured to 96 or 192 kilohertz, each with a 24-bit word width.
Yes, the Expert 220 Pro sounded even better at the finest resolution than our conventionally knit comparison amps. Maria Pihl's "Malvina" came bodily, shone in rich colors and was enveloped in a supple, high-end garb by the rich, but concise bass over the homogeneous mids to the tender heights and the weeping synthesizer swaths, which were stored back into the depths of the room The 220s achieved this when the Dynamic Power Management was switched off, but the subtle dynamism and impulsive power of the flat powerhouse was demonstrated by the bone-dry vibraphone attacks on Saturday Night's Red Norvo Quintet designed a background and sounded not a bit artificial.
It did not matter if we were the analogue or digital darren Devialet, who activates his reserves with unrestrained habitus. And his phono input is a poem. MMs like MCs offered a real analog feeling. Any bet: In the hearing check no one would identify the French as a fully digital amp, which confirms the experience that the unique step into the digital medium - especially as here on high bit basis - no problem.
Speaking of Hochbit: Of course, the Expert 220 Pro is perfect for the modern media world. He understands all common PCM and DSD formats and is thanks to UPNP ability a perfect streamer, with smaller data rates like via WLan. Still wishes open? Yes, a headphone jack and a standby mode that really drives the amp down instead of keeping it warm. But maybe the fans just appreciate this. What's certain is that Devialet has unleashed the next stage of its emerging amp with Core Infinity.
SOUND LEVEL 95%, ***** EXCEPTIONAL *****

The guy wants a full standby mode. This fan likes that the amp keeps warm in standby: less thermal shock to the boards when the amp is powered up. Just sayin’ Smile

RE: Expert 220 pro CI - STEREO - Amelot75 - 12-Oct-2018

(10-Oct-2018, 10:52)Seriously BRon McKernan Wrote: The German STEREO magazine 11/2018 has published a 220 pro CI review which is overall quite enthusiastic (as most reviews there are) but neither very specific nor detailed. SQ is characterized as superiour to most analogue amplifiers they compared it to (not stating which amps that were), versatility and quality of the phono pre are highlighted. SAM, streaming, configurator all are described as particularly outstanding features, no critical issues are mentioned. The article briefly summarizes the development of Devialet from a start-up enterprise (with limited access to state-of-the-art chips) to a major player in the field, now being able to get all hardware supply they are asking for, thus being able to develop the CI Board.

Somewhat in contrast to this quite promotional review, the ranking of tested amplifiers (whatever it's worth) in the same issue of the magazine shows a sligthly different picture, the 220 pro CI ranking as No 20, behind some amps in a similar price range. I love my Expert anyway.
Seriously the Aavik as number one is just ridiculous and the D amp on 20th rank. I got the pleasure to have the Aavik amp for a day and it’s a wonderful amp but it is in the same league for SQ with D amp except for the pricing marketing. All this can’t be taken seriously

RE: Expert 220 pro CI - STEREO - K4680 - 14-Oct-2018

Hi, in the Stereo Magazine Devialet has booked a full-page advertising on the cover page. What strikes me, it is written here, the CI upgrade includes a roon year license! I have not read this statement on the Devialet homepage, or anywhere else! Or did I overlook it? Rolleyes

RE: Expert 220 pro CI - STEREO - Rama - 14-Oct-2018

It is highly probable that when Devialet enables Roon RAAT that 1 year Roon subscription will be included.

RE: Expert 220 pro CI - STEREO - K4680 - 14-Oct-2018

(14-Oct-2018, 15:36)Rama Wrote: It is highly probable that when Devialet enables Roon RAAT that 1 year Roon subscription will be included.
Yes, there is again something announced and it is not yet available Sad