Devialet Chat
Phantom Thermal Management & Woofer Control - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Phantom I (103 DB, 108 DB, Premier Classic, Silver & Gold) (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Phantom-I-103-DB-108-DB-Premier-Classic-Silver-Gold)
+--- Thread: Phantom Thermal Management & Woofer Control (/Thread-Phantom-Thermal-Management-Woofer-Control)

Phantom Thermal Management & Woofer Control - kmjy - 11-Oct-2018

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone in this community knows anything about how Phantom manages thermals as well as it's heat thresholds. 
I notice after a few hours of playing quite bass heavy music above 70% volume the Phantom (White/Classic Elevate) decides to gradually cut back the maximum available output to the woofers. At this point I don't know if the amplifiers are too hot and throttle back, or if the woofers themselves are overheating and therefor throttle back. At the point this happens the high range and mid range drivers perform exactly the same as usual with no volume or power limit.

I'm not sure how the Phantom manages this because it doesn't always happen and sometimes it happens slightly. Today it happened a lot. It throttled so much that bass output was basically non-existent. Literally zero bass or movement from the woofers at any volume. It gradually came back, going on and off for 10 minutes. Sudden booms then nothing like a wire was disconnected internally, but after 10 minutes it came back to half strength and performed perfectly, now it's at full performance again and there are no thermal limits on the unit. The woofers are working as normal, no noticeable distortion or crackling or any other abnormal sounds from them whatsoever. They're still in time and outputting the expected sound. Generally when it starts getting too hot the woofers will crackle or make a scraping sound. This is a real trait of Phantoms design as it happens with multiple of my Phantoms and has happened with older units I've owned. Of course the content being played is a factor.

I turned the volume down and let it rest for a bit before it would fully recover. It's quite a hot day today, and quite often here in Australia so I imagine it's not the best conditions for such a small sealed unit to operate but that doesn't mean I won't use it to it's full potential, I'm just wondering if anyone knows any information about how this all works and what risks there are to the unit itself or the woofers under almost extreme heat? I worry that the unit could be damaged from this?

Thanks!

RE: Phantom Thermal Management & Woofer Control - Johnnydev - 11-Oct-2018

ask Devialet

RE: Phantom Thermal Management & Woofer Control - pscampbe - 11-Oct-2018

(11-Oct-2018, 08:18)kmjy Wrote: Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone in this community knows anything about how Phantom manages thermals as well as it's heat thresholds. 
I notice after a few hours of playing quite bass heavy music above 70% volume the Phantom (White/Classic Elevate) decides to gradually cut back the maximum available output to the woofers. At this point I don't know if the amplifiers are too hot and throttle back, or if the woofers themselves are overheating and therefor throttle back. At the point this happens the high range and mid range drivers perform exactly the same as usual with no volume or power limit.

I'm not sure how the Phantom manages this because it doesn't always happen and sometimes it happens slightly. Today it happened a lot. It throttled so much that bass output was basically non-existent. Literally zero bass or movement from the woofers at any volume. It gradually came back, going on and off for 10 minutes. Sudden booms then nothing like a wire was disconnected internally, but after 10 minutes it came back to half strength and performed perfectly, now it's at full performance again and there are no thermal limits on the unit. The woofers are working as normal, no noticeable distortion or crackling or any other abnormal sounds from them whatsoever. They're still in time and outputting the expected sound. Generally when it starts getting too hot the woofers will crackle or make a scraping sound. This is a real trait of Phantoms design as it happens with multiple of my Phantoms and has happened with older units I've owned. Of course the content being played is a factor.

I turned the volume down and let it rest for a bit before it would fully recover. It's quite a hot day today, and quite often here in Australia so I imagine it's not the best conditions for such a small sealed unit to operate but that doesn't mean I won't use it to it's full potential, I'm just wondering if anyone knows any information about how this all works and what risks there are to the unit itself or the woofers under almost extreme heat? I worry that the unit could be damaged from this?

Thanks!

I am sorry I can't help much other than to say I am in Australia too and haven't experienced what you describe, but then I haven't run them at high volume for an extended period of time - and they are the gold model - so may be different anyway. What has Devialet's view been on this. Have you asked and have they responded? They read these forums but seem to have a policy of not commenting - so I would contact them directly.

Phantom Thermal Management & Woofer Control - kmjy - 11-Oct-2018

@pscampbe thanks for your reply.
I was just hoping for some technical information on this. I’m not looking for a support case as it would be a waste of time. Just looking for some generalised information on it.

Devialet directly won’t publicly pass information on patented technology. This falls under that category as it deals with the customised in-house amplification unit and the in-house transducers.

I know people out there have information on this regardless so that was my hope. The unit functions perfectly fine now after having tested it since so I’m no longer worried, only curious.

I do recall that the Gold Phantom has an improved thermal management system to handle the higher amplification draw. So the Gold’s should have about the same heat output as a White or Silver unit when playing at levels even higher than them. No issues.